Me and my buddy formed this band a while back and recruited our other friends on drums. Originally I was the Rythmn guitarist due to lack of self esteem and playing ability(esque my newbian name) I am now the better of the two of us making me Lead now. Has this happened to any one else?
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
yes. malcoolm young. and he sticked with rhythm guitar and let his newbie brother who didnt know **** playing lead guitar in the band. the history isnt exactly like this, but if you dont feel like playing lead, dont play. you could also dont give a **** about those terms, and when someone has to play some chords or solo or melody, you, the band, decide who plays it. no big deal.
no way
Pretty interesting. In my first band the rhythm guitarist was an average rhythm player, and the lead guitarist was pretty good, although no shredder. At this point, I hadn't even picked up a guitar.

Now, the rhythm guitarist is one of the finest guitarists I know, and I think I might (barely) be able to compete with the lead guitarist.
Quote by fukyu1980
LOL ! muther fuker i was gonna say that LOL!
Quote by RealGuitarHero
I am now the better of the two of us making me Lead now.

The Lead guitarist doesn't have to be 'better' than the rythm guitarist, both can be hard and both are important (maybe rythm a bit more important)

As the other guy said, if you don't feel like playing Lead... just don't! Let someone else do it! e
Note: Sorry if my grammar and/or vocabulary isn't very good, English is my 2nd language!

Quote by Resiliance
you show me yours and I'll show you mine!

If you're wondering where I've been gone, click here!
ehh I didn't choose to make myself the lead they all decided it would be best. I want to do it. I just want to know if this has happened in anyone elses band. He is very good but my skills are just more honed and I also can improv a little. He has no music theory whats so ever.

Oh and don't bash Ang or Mal AC/DC is my favorite band.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
But it really happened! Malcolm was much better than Angus when AC/DC started.
Now you see Angus in those #100 guitar player but they allways forget Malcolm cause I'm serious, Malcolm is still on of the best guitar players of all time.
Quote by Shea Donoghue
"WHY DON'T YOU JUST F*CK OFF?!" So I ran up to her face and went "FINE, I F*CKING WILL" and stuck my hands down my pants and started masturbating. My friends were pissing themselves laughing while she just went "JESUS CHRIST"
Last edited by cortez0 at Nov 28, 2007,
i used to play rythm guitar but we got a new guitarist so i play lead now. since our older songs didn't have lead guitar in them i play the keys/synths (we used to use pre-recorded keys/synths when we played live) for those.

edit- i went onto lead because i prefered it. it has nothing to do with being 'better'
Quote by snipelfritz
Yeah well the Nazi Horn conquers the French Horn in two weeks.

Halogen Lights
Just because you are the lead guitarist, doesn't mean that you have to play anything different. You don't have to play solos. The difference between lead and rhythm has nothing to do with one person being better than the other. All it is is that the lead person is supposed to be more of a leader, and should put on more of a show. That doesn't always mean solos, it could just be something as simple as getting the crowd involved or running across the stage.
i used to be the drummer, but then i learned guitar. and now im a lead player
i just play lead cuz the other guy didnt
Guitars:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Epiphone SG w/EMG's

Amps:
Peavey Windsor Head w/ JSX Cab
MicroCube (for the sake of practice at college)

Pedals :
Fulltone Full Drive 2 Mosfet
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Crybaby