There was a thread here awhile ago about planning for a music career.
According to that poll, about 20 people voted that they are professional
musicians, but only 3-5 people actually replied to that thread and shared
what they do to make money with music.

I wanted to hear more from the professionals on this board what do you do
to make money with your music? by professionals I mean someone who is
making money from some music related activity, either performing, teaching
or something else.

What got you to where you wanted to be and what advice do you have for
others from your experience?

Here is that thread I'm talking about.
http://ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=701550&page=5&pp=20
Last edited by VKombinator at Nov 27, 2007,
I play in a band. Do a few local gigs. We usually walk away with betwen £80-£120. Which is spent on gear, practice time etc.

I guess that doens't really count as pro huh?

Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
I run a website that sells instructional products, it is good to have a source of passive income. I also teach private lessons and do clinics. I also partner on several projects with some colleagues of mine. All of that will make more money once its finished.

In general think about setting up multiple streams of income, ideally passive income. Also of course, work on your reputation, getting people to know yourself as a reliable and dependable person etc... that's all important.

So, basically treat your music as a BUSINESS if you want to make money. Yes, of course music is a big part of what you do, but if you want to have a successful career, study the music BUSINESS!

Hope this helps bro.

Take care.
I teach music (guitar/drums/bass etc), currently looking at growing the business to get ex pupils as staff more revenue to buy lots of advertising then create a bigger brand. That makes about $20000 a year before tax. I also run a wedding and club band..i set it up and i hire session musicians locally and pay them $200 each per gig and charge $1800 for the night (25 gigs a year or something so $50000 USD before wages and tax etc). You have to remember i bought $5k or gear etc and spend 10 hours a week doing admin.

Im looking at setting up an agency with the same brand of teaching and having a one stop shop..tuition and entertainment site and contract other bands to work on our behalf.Im also in a prog metal band for fun but thats just pay for everything and no ****ers show up. Should change because we are good just need marketing.

I started by having a business degree (not music) and doing an office job to finance then slowly reduced hours when the business started doing okay. Slowly Slowly!.

Advice (underlined!)?. Depends if you wanna be local make money or famous and broke (tried that hated it!). As the guy above said its as much about business as music..really i could be teaching japanese and doing karate it wouldnt matter its not for the music its just thats what im best at and i find easist and least 'soul destroying'

Its not rocket science you just need balls to start it up and rely on it, when others tell you dont do it because they are working for the man. You also need to be like the squirrel and harvest money for the bad times which there will be.
Its very stressful and time consuming but i work from home or in a nice wedding gig so no horrible boss, commutes in rush hour or feel like a robot. I hated being a robot the most. You need to learn from others and do as the others do. For example one agent we get gigs from is really rich, but is such a streetwise sneaky mf. Not saying i want to be like that but you have to be profit minded. If i paid musicians the same as me it wouldnt be profitable.

In the UK you dont need licences so its different in the Americas i think but anyway what do you think your gonna do?. I can help you with advice (something thats hard to get if your family arent in the business or are self employed.)
I
Last edited by Bogiez at Nov 28, 2007,
bogiez, it sounds like you really have it going on! slow and steady and being level headed and smart about things makes sense.
Quote by shreddyboy
bogiez, it sounds like you really have it going on! slow and steady and being level headed and smart about things makes sense.

thanks. you just need to know the score with other people who are making cash and copy them (benchmarking in business terms lol)
Quote by Bogiez
I teach music (guitar/drums/bass etc), currently looking at growing the business to get ex pupils as staff more revenue to buy lots of advertising then create a bigger brand. That makes about $20000 a year before tax. I also run a wedding and club band..i set it up and i hire session musicians locally and pay them $200 each per gig and charge $1800 for the night (25 gigs a year or something so $50000 USD before wages and tax etc). You have to remember i bought $5k or gear etc and spend 10 hours a week doing admin.

Im looking at setting up an agency with the same brand of teaching and having a one stop shop..tuition and entertainment site and contract other bands to work on our behalf.Im also in a prog metal band for fun but thats just pay for everything and no ****ers show up. Should change because we are good just need marketing.

I started by having a business degree (not music) and doing an office job to finance then slowly reduced hours when the business started doing okay. Slowly Slowly!.

Advice (underlined!)?. Depends if you wanna be local make money or famous and broke (tried that hated it!). As the guy above said its as much about business as music..really i could be teaching japanese and doing karate it wouldnt matter its not for the music its just thats what im best at and i find easist and least 'soul destroying'

Its not rocket science you just need balls to start it up and rely on it, when others tell you dont do it because they are working for the man. You also need to be like the squirrel and harvest money for the bad times which there will be.
Its very stressful and time consuming but i work from home or in a nice wedding gig so no horrible boss, commutes in rush hour or feel like a robot. I hated being a robot the most. You need to learn from others and do as the others do. For example one agent we get gigs from is really rich, but is such a streetwise sneaky mf. Not saying i want to be like that but you have to be profit minded. If i paid musicians the same as me it wouldnt be profitable.

In the UK you dont need licences so its different in the Americas i think but anyway what do you think your gonna do?. I can help you with advice (something thats hard to get if your family arent in the business or are self employed.)
I

Dude, I wish we were related.