note: never really vistited this part of the forum before so im unsure as to where this should go. however having abit of a dilema.

i have a grade 5 guitar exam on thursday, im just finishing off preparing for it today

ive learnt a way of playing the set of arpeggios given on the syllabus chromatically in the keys of c-e root, 5th string, however i looked at the book this morning and thought is it right?

the first arpeggio is a c major, starting the 3rd fret- 5th string
second is a c sharp minor starting on the 4th fret - 5th string
third is a d minor 7 starting on the 5th fret - 5th string
fourth is a e dominant 7 starting on the 7th fret- 5th string

how ive learnt it is that if im playing in the key of c the arpeggios start in the positions stated above, if i want to play in the key of say c sharp, i shift the starting position of each arpeggio up a fret. but now i think this is wrong. dead wrong.

what im guessing now is that is should just learn each position as:

- a minor shape
- a major shape
- a minor 7th shape
- a dominant 7th shape

and play them in whatever key im given.? cos on the 5th string c-e is from 3rd to 7th fret.

please help

(i apologise if this is in the wrong place)

in the thread on how to make a girl uncomfortable:

Quote by Angels Fighter
i saw this in another thread but it would work

Blow your load in your hand and slap the girl in the face while yelling "spiderman"

^
Frankly, I never bothered to learn...

I took what I would call the "Zen" approach, that is what my guitar teacher called the "aha!" moment, when you realize that guitar is nothing more than 12 notes, six strings, and four chord types (excluding sevenths).

You are correct that the key of C# starts on four, D on 5, D# on 6, etc.

It's just that once you figure out where all of your roots are in a key, you are set! Just go, be free, have fun, get down with your bad self.

Where on a saxophone it might be a real pain to modulate from C to Bb (or maybe not, I don't care!) it is ridiculously simple on the guitar - move everything down two frets, or tune down a whole step and just play everything as normal. Or play everything as normal, record it and slow the tape down...

Then again I did not take the academic approach to music. I treated it as a big blank canvas I can choose to spit upon, throw paint at, create a classic masterpiece all my own, urinate or throw my crap like a retarded monkey, light it on fire, it's all up to me.

Ultimately those are the kinds of musicians I listen to, so that's the kind I wanted to be, and the kind I think I have become. Perfect?

God, no.

But have people commented that they dug my stuff? Absolutely.

Guitar is easy. So is enlightenment. But then it is also the most difficult and rarely mastered of arts...
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

^ wtf? , anyways think ive sorted the problem....

but seriously ^wtf? didnt help =)

still sounds cool

Quote by Angels Fighter

Blow your load in your hand and slap the girl in the face while yelling "spiderman"

^
this is why memorizing the fretboard is important. If yo have the fretboard memorized, finding arpeggios is simple. Of course, memorizing shapes is a good idea too, but I think it's best to do both. To answer your question, yes you can just move the shapes. If you take a c major arpeggio (C E G), and move it up a half step, it will become a C# major arpeggio (C# E# G#).
Well, essentially the guitar is set up so any given key will look the same - same fingerings, assuming you barre the chords.

This makes guitar a particularly easy instrument to improvise on, hence it is so incredibly popular as a solo instrument.

Arpeggio shapes never change unless you are playing an inversion. They just change frets. Everything changes frets.

Where a horn player has to figure out what's sharp, what's flat, etc., all the guitar player has to do is move up or down a string or fret.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

^thank you spamwise

bubonic, that was what i was asking lol

Quote by Angels Fighter

^
not at school, was outside

cost 47 bloddy quid.

Quote by Angels Fighter

^