i have a Harley Benton S580WR, Marshall mg 30 and a boss me50 multi effects pedal, whenever i play above the 9-10th fret on the E and B strings the notes cut out realy quickly and sound scratchy. Also the G string generaly sounds buzzy and scratchy even though theres no fret buzz.

All of this mostly happens when i have high distortion on from the effects pedal, except for the G string..which sounds bad with or without it. On clean its sounds fine except for the G string.

I have tried changeing the strings, adjusting the pickup height and the action but none of this realy makes a difference...i have also tried using my freinds amps and the same thing happens.

Also if i play 2 notes together on the e and b strings..sometimes the G..it realy sounds bad and cutty/electricy. This mostly happens higher up the fret board.

Im guessing the problem is the pickups and if it is..is it worth replacing them or just getting a new guitar? I wasnt expecting it to be amazing as it only cost under £100.
Sounds like you have bad/uneven frets or poorly set action rather than bad pickups.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Nov 27, 2007,
try having the guitar setup. youd be surprised how good it can sound with some simple tweeks from a pro.