Okay, so I've really wanted to get a Gibson SG Standard for the past few monthes. I've only been playing for about two years, and I'm not very good, but I am sticking with guitar... But of course a Gibson SG is gonna take forever to save up for.

Would an Epiphone SG Standard be a good trade off for the much much lower cost? From what I hear, the sound won't be as nice, but is it significant? Do you think I would still have just as much fun with the Epiphone?

Anybody have one? How are they?
I would also look at the Agile Valkyrie from rondomusic.com which is supposed to be at least as good as the epi if not better-- i dont own it so im just going on what ive read
IMO Epiphone > Gibson as far as value goes. I would take a G-400 over a standard SG any day. Bragging rights are overrated, and you can always just get a Gibson sticker to put on the headstock
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Quote by mafropetee
IMO Epiphone > Gibson as far as value goes. I would take a G-400 over a standard SG any day. Bragging rights are overrated, and you can always just get a Gibson sticker to put on the headstock

+1 most people I have spoken to have said that most high end epiphones rival the gibsons, I'd personally just say try them both out, ot if its an internet thing, I just go on youtube and type in the guitars name to see for tone, but the only thing is you cant test drive it if its online
My Gear:
ESP LTD EC-1000 SW
ESP LTD EC 500 STBC
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Dean Razorback Two Tone
Ibanez 7 string
Randall RH150G3 Head and Cab
You could get a good epiphone sg, and save up some more money. Then sell the guitar used when you are ready to get a gibson. If you find a nice epiphone sg, have it set up nice, and maybe toss a few bucks into getting you new pick ups you will:
1. save your self a lot of money.
2. Probably really like the guitar.
3. you have been playing for 2 years. nobody likes a noob playing a bad ass guitar. (unless they have the chops.)

In conclusion, play a few epis, pick the nicest one. When you buy it ask to have it set up, and get some new strings. Later on save for new pups.
Carvin Ct4.
Traynor 15 watt class A tube amp.
Fulltone Deja Vibe.
Vox Wah.

~Derek Trucks~
Quote by metallica_death
+1 most people I have spoken to have said that most high end epiphones rival the gibsons, I'd personally just say try them both out, ot if its an internet thing, I just go on youtube and type in the guitars name to see for tone, but the only thing is you cant test drive it if its online

Theres a BIG difference between Epi and Gibson. Dont ever believe anyone who says somehting like that. Now there are bound to be some bad Gibsons because the world isnt perfect. But Gibson is 3x the guitar a Epi will ever be. Now for a good PRICE range. Get the Epi g400 because it will suit you fine until later and you can get a better amp. If you really want the Gibson save up. Unless you need it now.
I just recently won a new Epiphone SG in a contest and Im very impressed with the tone. My friend's Gibson obviously sounds better, but im not sure if its 1000 dollars better.
_____
MUSE
yes epi are good but not as gibsons. i replaced many parts on mine but im rly happy with it
Fender Strat 60th Anniv HotRoded
others

Marshall 1980 JMP 2203
Marshall JCM900 1960A Cab
Valve Jr.

VOX v847a Modded
EHX Small Clone Modded
Maxon OD-820
MXR 1978 Flanger
Digitech Whammy
TC Polytune
Custom LPB-1 Boost
Epiphone is a better value for the money. Gibson is better quality. I think what it comes down to is that people paying two or three times more money for a Gibson over an Epiphone isn't because it is two or three times better than an Epiphone, but merely that it is better than an Epiphone.
I think you can get better guitars in both their price ranges, but they aren't bad guitars by any means.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
I never said Epiphone was better QUALITY than Gibson. I said they had MUCH better VALUE. I've played some Gibson LPs and their Epiphone equivalents side by side, and of course the Gibson was better overall, but it definitely wasn't enough to justify the price tag. I honestly think that a huge portion of the money people pay for a Gibson is just because of the name.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
where are you in the world? gibson/epiphone aren't the only people who make SG's...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Aye, I'd say go for the Epi to start with, and when you get round to it maybe upgrade the pickups to the Gibson ones, which even with getting almost the same sound will still save you a few hundred.
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United
i'm struggling to understand how getting gibson pickups is equated with saving money... especially in the UK... o_O
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well it'd be cheaper than buying the Gibson guitar, for one.
The rig:
Newcastle United
yeah, but gibson pickups are about the most overpriced pickups there are (and that's pretty hard, considering duncan, EMG, PRS and dimarzio pickup prices in the UK)...

you can get way nicer for a lot less.

Eh, i'd just get an edwards or japanese tokai and be done.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
This much is true, I won't deny that. T'was just a suggestion.
Example from Thomann: I think a gibson 57 classic was £100. A duncan Alcino II pro was about £65. You know which one the vast majority of sensible guitarists would go for.
The rig:
Newcastle United
Quote by Korzack
This much is true, I won't deny that. T'was just a suggestion.
Example from Thomann: I think a gibson 57 classic was £100. A duncan Alcino II pro was about £65. You know which one the vast majority of sensible guitarists would go for.

Swineshead?

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
^ touche.

or bareknuckle/bulldog for £90/£80, or rockmonkey for about £50, or maybe an irongear for around £20.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by mafropetee

Sorry, but the Gibson is how much more expensive? I don;' think value even applies because of the difference in price. Putting a sticker is stupid. You are happy with your purchase and feel comfortable with the name or you aren't. End of story.
Be cool.
Quote by thedude051
Putting a sticker is stupid. You are happy with your purchase and feel comfortable with the name or you aren't. End of story.

I agree- the gibson sticker will be no consolation if you happen to get a lemon; likewise the cheaper price will be no consolation if you get an epiphone which is a lemon.

That's why I like the japanese copies- gibson quality for more like epiphone prices.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?