My friend just recently bought a new guitar for himself and he no longer needs his Epiphone Les Paul. He is charging 300 dollars and i am not sure if i should buy it. He bought it new for $600 three years ago and since then he given it a lot of use.
So is a heavily used Epi LP worth $300? thanks for any input

(right now i am using a crappy squier strat and an epi lp would be an upgrade...)
you'd probably need to know what model of Epi Les Paul it is (IE, Special, Standard, Studio)
oo yea its a standard... he also mentioned that the headstock said "Gibson" instead of epi... idk what thats about
If its a Custom, its definately a good deal. But for anything less than that, he got ripped off and $300 isnt too much less than the normal price. Customs are great, get it if u can.

EDIT: if it has a Flametop on it, u might wanna replace the Humbuckers on it if u want. Otherwise, its actually not too bad a deal IMO.
Last edited by qotsa1998 at Nov 27, 2007,
Quote by Gourami
oo yea its a standard... he also mentioned that the headstock said "Gibson" instead of epi... idk what thats about

He's probably talking about the truss rod cover.

Charging half of what he bought it for after three years of use can be a bit high, depending on the condition of course.

They're nice guitars, but they're not in any way rare, meaning they don't have a very high resale value. Try if you can persuade him to lower the price a little more.

Nevermind, I just read that it's heavily used.

This should give you an idea of what they sell for on the secondhand market:

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=Epiphone+Les+Paul+Standard&category0=

As you can see, even examples in good condition are selling for less than 300$, so he's charging too much.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Nov 27, 2007,
Quote by Bonsaischaap
He's probably talking about the truss rod cover.

Charging half of what he bought it for after three years of use can be a bit high, depending on the condition of course.

They're nice guitars, but they're not in any way rare, meaning they don't have a very high resale value. Try if you can persuade him to lower the price a little more.

Nevermind, I just read that it's heavily used.

This should give you an idea of what they sell for on the secondhand market:

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=Epiphone+Les+Paul+Standard&category0=

As you can see, even examples in good condition are selling for less than 300$, so he's charging too much.

I agree, new a Standard Epiphone Les Paul is 399 (Musicians Friend Basis) for a heavily used one you should get the price down too the 200-250 range at least.
My Last.Fm

Gear:
1994 MIJ Fender Jaguar
Vox V847-A Wah
ProCo Rat
EHX Small Clone
Epiphone Valve Junior
Quote by Gourami
Thanks a lot Bonsai, good advice!

In true Dave_MC fashion:
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Does heavily used mean that the guitar has various dings and such? $300 is a bit high for any heavily used recent Epi. I bought a used mint Epi LP Custom a few months ago at a pawn shop for $250 and they wanted $300 for it.
Quote by qotsa1998
If its a Custom, its definately a good deal. But for anything less than that, he got ripped off and $300 isnt too much less than the normal price. Customs are great, get it if u can.

EDIT: if it has a Flametop on it, u might wanna replace the Humbuckers on it if u want. Otherwise, its actually not too bad a deal IMO.

how do you know its a custome, he just said its a standard..
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Definately don't buy it for $300 if its a standard, because he's probably lying to you, standards don't sell for $600, if you do buy it, don't pay more than $250 for an epi standard, also you might wanna consider putting in new pickups, you can get decent humbuckers for $150-$200, it will improve your tone a LOT.