What would you say are the advantages of the body shape and neck of LP style guitars over strat (or strat-like) ones?
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
The advantages? =|

There's no real advantages, just personal preference.

If you like bassy, heavy, full and thick tone with a larger size neck, then les paul.

If you like bright, light, bluesy and a bit more vibrant tone (in my opinion) with a thinner neck, then a strat.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Quote by Mad Marius
What would you say are the advantages of the body shape and neck of LP style guitars over strat (or strat-like) ones?

Les Paul:

-heavy
-fat neck
-not very contoured
-set neck
-3 by 3 angled headstock

Strat:

-lighter
-thinner neck (depending on the model, too)
-different profiles
-heavily contoured
-bolt-on neck
-6 in line straight headstock

Personally I prefer Strat, but there are many people who love Gibsons.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Nov 27, 2007,
It's really all personal preference, many people would say without a doubt that strats are more comfortable because of their contours, but I much prefer 'flat' guitar like Teles, SGs, and LPs, strats and other contoured ones tend to sit funny on me.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
They are pretty different guitars overall. It depends overall what you want. Just the fact Stratocasters tend to have single coil pick ups and Les Pauls have humbuckers is a major factor.
In my humble opinion:

Les Paul +
-Mo' sustain, due to more mass
-Fatter tone, due to mahogany

Les Paul -
-Bloody heavy, due to mass, and wood choice
-Uncomfortable, at least for me (the square edge and voluptuous curves poke me in the ribs when I lean over it, plus the bottom end outweighs the rest of the guitar, so it tips over)

Strat +
-Comfortable (contoured n' stuff)
-Lightweight (thinner, lighter wood)
-Good upper fret access (smaller heel)
-Cheaper (wood, easier to build)
-Easy to repair/customise (bolt on construction, Fender design mentality)

Strat -
-Might not have the same sustain
-Tone not as phat
-Pretty big heel for a bolt on (I like Ibanez-style All Access joints)

I didn't mean to sound biased, or anything. I quite like both, although I am not 100% satisfied with either. My ultimate guitar would have features of each.
Last edited by sashki at Nov 27, 2007,
I have both, and in my opinion the Strat is a much more comfortable guitar. The contour and the weight put the edge with the strat. I love my LP, but damn is it heavy!
Gibson CS-336
Gibson LP classic
Fender strat - '57 reissue
Fender strat - American Standard
Gretsch 5120
Fender Acoustic
Fender Twin Re-verb
Misc pedals
generally, as already said- you get a fatter, warmer tone out of a les paul (and normally more overdrive too as it has humbuckers, but obviously you can get fat strats etc. too with a humbucker), and a brighter, twangier, tighter, clearer tone out of a strat.

then you have the things like upper fret access and comfort.

Really depends what you want- are you considering which to buy, or are you trying to make a guitar from scratch?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
les pauls have a nicer (in my opnion) tone but strats are more comfortable and have better upper fret access. i prefer sg's because they are like a midpoint between the two.
Quote by snipelfritz
Yeah well the Nazi Horn conquers the French Horn in two weeks.

Halogen Lights
I have both. IMO Strat is more comfortable. It sits on your legs better if you play sat down and it's lighter to move around a stage with, however Les Paul wins everytime because it looks so much cooler.
I think he's just asking about the body shape, not the neck or pickups those guitars have.

Anyways, I prefer the S style body because it's double cut and has better upper fret access.
It's GANDHI not GHANDI

Quote by lewymcgee
oh yea, stanleybach, what are u like the forum ass hole, stop tryin to ruin all the fun u dick head

Quote by webbtje
Stanleybach fucked a tree. My perversion is nothing.
I like both styles

I find the chunkiness of the LP somehow reassuring, but I also like the light and comfortable feel of a Strat.

I prefer the LP's sustain and warmth, but then again, the sound of a Strat can be totally orgasmic as well

Frankly, the ideal situation would be to have both, but there you go....
As Gary Moore once said, with a LP you get a great tone out of the box, and with a Strat, you need to work harder to get a great tone, but when you do, boy, oh boy, you get an amazing sound.
Quote by sashki

I didn't mean to sound biased, or anything. I quite like both, although I am not 100% satisfied with either. My ultimate guitar would have features of each.

So a PRS then?
Quote by pmc100
So a PRS then?

Or Schecter.
It's GANDHI not GHANDI

Quote by lewymcgee
oh yea, stanleybach, what are u like the forum ass hole, stop tryin to ruin all the fun u dick head

Quote by webbtje
Stanleybach fucked a tree. My perversion is nothing.