Emenius Sleepus
Blaze above the ashes
1,005 IQ
Ukrainian folk/black metal. See them mentioned here occasionally but haven't come across a thread yet. Cry to Me, River is one of the best debut albums you can think of, though the later stuff hasn't grabbed me as much...

Either way, to discussmobile...

"Национальный танец русских - это на ваших ебаных могилах".
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Mr. President
da prez
2,380 IQ
I love Cry Me A River as well

In all seriousness...heard a lot about them, looooooove their artwork, but I don't have any full albums. And I can't read most of their song titles anyway .
Emenius Sleepus
Blaze above the ashes
1,005 IQ
rofl,... I don't know, all the songtitles on my Kroda albums are in English. So yeah, check out that album and Fimbulvinter, if you're interested.

KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Mr. President
da prez
2,380 IQ
I dunno, i was browsing through there discog on MA, and all the songs titles were '??????????????????' or some other number of question marks.
Emenius Sleepus
Blaze above the ashes
1,005 IQ
I see,.. looking at it now though, they all have translations above the actual songs.

The weird thing is, I have a vinyl of their debut album where all the lyrics are in English, but when you listen to it they are actually singing in Ukrainian... Sense this makes none

KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
jaaaaa
Veritas Vincit
339 IQ
They're good. Something about the production on the latest album really makes it unlistenable for me, though. It's so clear and dynamic and sounds to me like nails on a chalkboard.
- Celtic folk metal | - Folk metal | - Folk Metal label/Distro
Emenius Sleepus
Blaze above the ashes
1,005 IQ
Yeah, I can see what you mean... It took me a while to get into it properly. Give it a few more spins maybe? At least it was a step back towards good, clear production. "Towards the Firmaments..." was such a mess that any good riffs were buried in a big sea of mud.

The only album that I loved instantly was the debut.. I haven't heard any of the split albums they've done though.

KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
jaaaaa
Veritas Vincit
339 IQ
Oh I was actually thinking of Towards the Firmaments when I made that post. Haven't listened to Fimbulvinter yet. I'll give a shot. My label still owes me a few things!!
- Celtic folk metal | - Folk metal | - Folk Metal label/Distro
Emenius Sleepus
Blaze above the ashes
1,005 IQ
Ahhh I see... well yeah, when I listened to Firmaments, I felt that everything was really muddy, and the middle frequencies were like a big pile of crap all over the songs. The folk instruments sounded great though. So yeah, I'd highly suggest checking out their other stuff... far better writing too

KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
InfiniteSadness
34 IQ
Fimbulvinter is actually pretty good though it took me a bit longer to get used to compared to Cry to me, River which is way more accessible in terms of melody and song structure. I feel that with Fimbulvinter their melodic approach has made way for a more aggresive and epic way of songwriting. Production imo has improved, I like it better now that all the instruments are clearly audible.

From their split albums I've only listened to the Kroda/Velimor one, which seems comparable to Fimbulvinter.
Emenius Sleepus
Blaze above the ashes
1,005 IQ
^yeah, I agree totally. Fimbulvinter took me longer to get into but it's a really good album. Production on Fimbulvinter is definitely the best out of their full-length recordings, though it was interesting that the second album was a muddy mess, whereas the other two were really clear...

I might buy the Velimor split next then

KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
raise_the_dead
Gravedancer
1,535 IQ
Yeah, Mr Luthor here fiercely recommended them to me, so I'm d/ling their albums... how can I say no to Ukrainian folk BM?
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.
Browns Town
Banned
542 IQ
They're not that bad actually, although I don't have any of their complete albums.
raise_the_dead
Gravedancer
1,535 IQ
I have Towards the Verge of the Firmaments (or whatever it's called) on my mp3 player and it's great. My only complain is that the guitar tone is a bit bland, but otherwise, great music.
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.
Emenius Sleepus
Blaze above the ashes
1,005 IQ
^cool if you liked that album, you should like the others even better. Far better guitar tone, for example, and better songs.

KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
raise_the_dead
Gravedancer
1,535 IQ
Better guitar tone? Yay.

Better songs?

YOU LIE.
Guitar_Dan_666
Dislikes above username
796 IQ
i have "The Beginning Of Winter Night Of Oskorei"

Its great, I love it.

ESP LTD MH-350NT
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 100
Orange PPC412AD
Seagull S6 Cedar Slim
Manuel Rodríguez C1M

Guitarist of Ravenage
Drummer of Windrider
Solo Project is Aloeswood
raise_the_dead
Gravedancer
1,535 IQ
So that one time you said you molested me in my sleep.....

All off-topicness aside, which albums should I listen to next?
Emenius Sleepus
Blaze above the ashes
1,005 IQ
They only have two other full-lengths atm, their debut Cry to me, River, and Fimbulvinter. The former is my favourite, so maybe try that one?

KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
raise_the_dead
Gravedancer
1,535 IQ
Sir, yes Sir!
Contraband
Within the Realm
2,580 IQ
A much warranted bump for these lads from the homeland.

I am listening to Fimbulvinter and really enjoying it. The production is nice and the guitar tone works. I like it a lot come to think of it. If this is good and you lot say that the other albums are better, then I am sure to love Cry to me, River.
I've found Jesus
Last edited by Contraband at Feb 9, 2010,
Emenius Sleepus
Blaze above the ashes
1,005 IQ
^also check out the split they did with Velimor, really awesome stuff; the split with Oprich' I didn't get into that much though, probably due to a rather poor show from Oprich'

KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Cianyx
UG Nerd
1,216 IQ
http://kroda.com.ua/frame_en.htm
Due to the creative disagreements author of Kroda’s music and visual conception Viterzgir leaves the band.

“Thanks to all who supported band all this time. It was a beautiful time”.

:/
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Emenius Sleepus
Blaze above the ashes
1,005 IQ
:O !!!!

ummm... shocking news

KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Emenius Sleepus
Blaze above the ashes
1,005 IQ
Yeah; there is currently a preview mix floating around, which the band temporarily uploaded. Was listening to it yesterday; I think it's some of the strongest work they've done in a long time, reminds me a little of early material from Negura Bunget at times. Even though the main songwriter left, the new line up seems to be coping quite well.

Some of the elements of old Kroda are still there, but the sound is more traditional black metal, with more acoustic interludes, different flow to their traditional arrangements and a few other new things. It all feels a lot more revitalised and inspired.

KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
AnnihiSlateR
Hammerheart
2,478 IQ
I think I might have to give it a go when it's officially released, as at the moment it doesn't seem to be available anywhere. Sounds promising.
Emenius Sleepus
Blaze above the ashes
1,005 IQ
bought that a few weeks ago from the site. great stuff, and I thought they did a great job with the covers, especially the Storm one

KULTURKAMPF
lastFM