Lone Star: http://www.zzounds.com/item--FEN139410

Deluxe HSS: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Deluxe-Fat-Strat-HSS-Electric-Guitar?sku=510477

Both look awesome, same price too at $550. I've heard that the Lone Star's single coils (Texas Specials) are really twangy, and I dont know if that's good or bad (I want something in the neck for some creamy solos).

On the other hand it has a better humbucker (Pearly Gates) than the Deluxe, but the Deluxe has Tex-Mex single coils.

Help me out!
Texas Specials are amongst Fender's highest output single coils. Essentially, they're Fender's attempt of cloning SRV's pickups; here's the rub, SRV actually used regular, low output, vintage pickups and just cranked his amps. That's where the fat tone came from. They're not inherently twangy unless you EQ them to be. Tex Mex are medium output. You could classify them as "modern" but not high output. Personally, between the two, I'd probably go Lone Star.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Nov 27, 2007,
I rarely play with cleans, mostly on my crunch channel with cranked gain or on my ultra channel with the gain at 5. I'd probably like something that can handle gain.

Are the Texas Specials noisy?

Also, why does the Lone Star have better pickups, but costs the same?
Tex Mex and Texas Specials are both considered "Custom Shop" pickups sold for over $200 a set (they're both used in signature Strats). The only difference in the Pearly Gates in the bridge of the Lone Star.

Single coils are going to be noisy with a lot of gain. It's just the nature of the beast. You can shield the guitar to mitigate this problem. Quite frankly, having played a XXX, I think a Strat with single coils would sound like tinny **** with the gain channel on that amp. You might want to consider getting a HSS Standard and replacing the pickups with stacked humbuckers if you want it to be able to handle gain but want the Strat look. That's probably what I would do.
Hi, I'm Peter
I say Lonestar 100%. It has Texas specials, which is the exact same pickup SRV used in his strats, and if its good enough for him, i'm sure it will suffice for you, and the Seymour duncan in the bridge can handle all the gain you want. They are both very versatile guitars, and to my understanding are the same model, the lonestar is just a modded version of the deluxe, so i can't say why they'd be the same price. Different websites, or tone woods (i couldent find the tone wood on musiciansfirend.com)? They only difference in appearance i could see was one had the "big" headstock.
I usually use the crunch channel, not the ultra omega-brutal channel. Think Paul Gilbert's solo stuff.

You guys really think a $400 Fat Strat + $150 of pickups (New bridge/neck) would be better suited? What are some good single coils (stacked I assume) that will handle gain, but have creamy solos?
^ DiMarzio makes some nice stacked humbuckers - HS-3 and YJM are what Malmsteen uses; the Chopper and Fast Track are their highest output single coil sized; Virtual Vintage are silent, but will get closer to a real single coil sound. You might also want to try a the Lil 59 pickups from Seymour Duncan.

Quote by Moose1309
It has Texas specials, which is the exact same pickup SRV used in his strats, and if its good enough for him, i'm sure it will suffice for you, and the Seymour duncan in the bridge can handle all the gain you want.

Texas Specials were designed by Fender to mimic the sound of SRV's pickups, but they aren't the ones that he used. Not even close. SRV used stock Strat pickups out of like a '61 (I can't remember exactly), nothing "overwound." He just cranked the hell out of his amps. Most people can't do that, so they make up for it by using "hotter" pickups. And the Pearly Gates is a blues-oriented pickups. Gobs of gain aren't their forte.
Hi, I'm Peter
So a regular fat strat + a new neck and bridge pickups would suit me better?

I was thinking a Dimarzio Super Distortion or Tone Zone in the bridge.

Anyone got any opinions on Dimarzio's stacked buckers? They have an Air Norton single.
I've had the HS-3 and Chopper installed in my Strat. The HS-3 is low/medium output but sounds good with gain and doesn't have a lot of treble. Not twangy in the least. You'll find some volume drop-off when it's paired with a high-output humbucker. The Chopper hangs well with full-size humbuckers - you'll find very little volume loss switching between your full-size bucker and the Chopper. I've had it installed between two high output PRS pickups (the HFS/Vintage Bass combo that standard on the Custom 24). The Chopper, likewise, will give you smooth distortion (higher gain) and has a good amount of treble roll-off.
Hi, I'm Peter
Would is be good for smoother leads? I'm looking for something warm, but still has that screaming tone when you bend higher notes. Kinda hard to explain.

Not something overly warm and muddy, still something that I can play chords with some sort of clarity.