Hi.

I recently had the chance to play on a Gibson SG and even though it has unbalanced weight , ****ty design (IMO) i was truly amazed by the playablity of this guitar.
Im a fender scale man so far but i realy enjoyed the short scale of Gibsons.

SO now im asking you , what guitar has the same ease of play , 24 frets and a floyd. ?
(I'm a 100% floyd rose user and i can't live without one , so if i gonna get a new guitar )
sg's are pretty brutal. what type of fender guitars you playing now? there isn't really anything that has that kind of ease, but that is also why that guitar was made
i'd recomend a PRS guitar, or an ESP if you can afford it. both make amazing, guitars
l> l> /\ l\
l>
l\ /~\ l/
I'm currently playing on a Jackson DK2 , which is a superSTRAT after all , so i say that it's a fender type guitar.

I have played ESP and PRS .
ESP did not stand out much from Jackson/Ibanez .
The PRS i played was a low end model and it realy sucked.

What im thinking about is this:

Its an Epiphone Olympic fitted with a kahler bridge , right ?.

So how much time+money would this kind of mod take , if i did it on an SG ?
(dont worry , i would probably do it on the cheapest epi SG i find first)

I have done some guitar building and i have the wood work skills needed to fit in a floating bridge.
Quote by Evil_Magician

What im thinking about is this:

Its an Epiphone Olympic fitted with a kahler bridge , right ?.

So how much time+money would this kind of mod take , if i did it on an SG ?
(dont worry , i would probably do it on the cheapest epi SG i find first)

I have done some guitar building and i have the wood work skills needed to fit in a floating bridge.

80's Gilbert FTW!

Seriously though, that's an Epiphone Wilshire (Olympic).

If you want to mod it in true Gilbert/Bouillet style, you'd need to:

-refinish: can be quite difficult, so you might want to consider taking the guitar to a place that paints cars and have them do it for you.

-swap the pickups: something like a DiMarzio Super Distortion (or ToneZone/PAF Pro if you want the newer Gilbert sound) in the bridge and a mini humbucker in the neck. Keep in mind that pickups can be quite expensive.

-install a trem: a Kahler would be a good idea because it doesn't require many modifications in terms of routing. A good trem, depending on the brand, will run you well over 150$.

By the way, that EPiphone now looks like this:

You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Nov 28, 2007,
Cool , i tought it will go for a higher price.
Im definatly gonna do it this summer.
I gonna buy the cheapest SG i can get.
The only problem the cheap ones have is the tuning which will be solved by the locking nut and the tone which will be solved by the pickups.
Gonna refinnish it with the hottest pink i can get my hands on.

Now , i need to start buying the stuff , still got time tills summer.
Quote by Evil_Magician
Oh and just so you know , im basing the idea on this guitar:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=zssxnu2LdRY

Didnt Ibanez build two of those for Bruce and Paul ?

Yup, they did.

They made a pink one for Paul:

Paul sold his Epibanez to some dude in Japan.

And an orange one for Bruce:

Bruce smashed his green Epiphone in a bet and later retrieved the pieces from the audience. Unfortunately, they were stolen from his car. This orange Epibanez has been sold.

One last kickass pic:

Paul and Bruce playing Paul's Epiphone.
PRS guitars have a shorter scale 25 inch. But its only really the LP and SG that have the short 24 3/4 inch scale. There are a few smaller companies using the short scale. But most use the longer strat scale. You can get a neck from warmoth that will convert a strat to the shorter scale. Im a convert. I was a strat man for a long time said I would never own a LP. Its just seems harder to play the strat now. I use it as a drop tune guitar, and a second LP should be on the UPS truck today.
I have a 24 3/4 scale lawsuit les paul fitted with a kahler on ebay for awile, i realy want to buy it, its about 299.99 i think, or 399.99, but i cant scrummage cash to add a fifth les paul to my collection.

My aria has an extremely small scale, its smaller than my SG and all of my les pauls, its got a nice gotoh floyd rose installed as well, the first time i played this i honestly thought it was child-sized, i had to get a fender strat down to compare body sizes to find out it wasnt.

Those kahlers are expensive as hell though, like almost 400 dollars for a full unit, you might be better off routing a floyd rose, and with kahlers you are semi-restricted on string sizes, and almost every time you do a full step bend you have to do a dive bomb to retune the string.

EDIT:
never forget rondo, you can get a short scale (24'') strat thats already half-floyd route for like 100 dollars.

http://www.rondomusic.com/sst5734.html
Last edited by LP Addict at Nov 28, 2007,
Quote by Bonsaischaap
Yup, they did.

They made a pink one for Paul:

Paul sold his Epibanez to some dude in Japan.

And an orange one for Bruce:

Bruce smashed his green Epiphone in a bet and later retrieved the pieces from the audience. Unfortunately, they were stolen from his car. This orange Epibanez has been sold.

One last kickass pic:

Paul and Bruce playing Paul's Epiphone.

Wow dude , where did you find those pics ?
I never had the chance to come trough those.

NVM , i guess you found them at the Racer X Forum
Last edited by Evil_Magician at Nov 28, 2007,
Quote by BradKohl
i'd recomend a PRS guitar, or an ESP if you can afford it.

Most PRS guitars are more expensive than ESPs...
It's GANDHI not GHANDI

Quote by lewymcgee
oh yea, stanleybach, what are u like the forum ass hole, stop tryin to ruin all the fun u dick head

Quote by webbtje
Stanleybach fucked a tree. My perversion is nothing.
Look into a used Jackson/Charvel Fusion. Excellent guitars that used the short scale. I bet you could get a JAckson USA Fusion too if you saved a bit and waited for one to pop up.
Routing a guitar for a Floyd would be an expensive job. A good floyd type bridge would at least cost you 170, brand new. Kahlers would be more.

If you have the tools routing will be hard, but not as expensive. If you have someone else do it for you, expect thaty to be 100-150 bucks.

Also, an SG is too thin to be routed out for a Floyd. Maybe a Kahler, but not a Floyd.

Why don't you just check out ESP's guitars? 24.75 scale on their Vipers, like a Gibson, and then a few of their models have a Floyd...Like the TM-600.
The Viper has 24.75" scale and 24 frets? That's a pretty unusual combo isn't it? I've never tried one, but the 24th fret must be tiny.
Quote by kyrreca
The Viper has 24.75" scale and 24 frets? That's a pretty unusual combo isn't it? I've never tried one, but the 24th fret must be tiny.

Jackson/Charvel Fusions were like that. Its actually pretty normal and comfy. Its a standard 24 fret neck with the trem just moved up IIRC to create the short scale.
Quote by CJRocker
Jackson/Charvel Fusions were like that. Its actually pretty normal and comfy. Its a standard 24 fret neck with the trem just moved up IIRC to create the short scale.

the 24th fret would be smaller though. not by much, but it will still be smaller by 0.011"
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Quote by Evil_Magician
Wow dude , where did you find those pics ?
I never had the chance to come trough those.

NVM , i guess you found them at the Racer X Forum

Yup.

Also, Paul's site has some nice pics, like this one:

This is the Epiphone in 1987.
Fender Jaguar maybe? that's even shorter than a Gibson
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
For a stock guitar that's 24.75" scale, 24 frets and a floyd, ESP all the way. Not so much the LTD division of ESP... they're lower quality and you can get better guitars elsewhere (e.g. Ibanez). If you can splash out for the real top ESPs though, you can find just what you want at unbeatable quality.

Kramer also made a few guitars in the 80's (I forget the specific model names as I'm not an expert on vintage Kramers) which were 24.75" scale, super-strat style, with 24 frets and a floyd tremolo bridge. From what I recall though, they only had one single humbucker pickup and their build quality wasn't - at the time - considered to be too great (though that was when quality standards for all guitars were higher anyway). I don't know if Kramer (now under the Gibson brand) still makes these or if you could find an old one, but they might be worth looking into.

Also, if you're willing to be more flexible on the fret count (personally I rarely find any reason to go past the 20th fret anyway myself...), Epiphone have, over the years, produced a number of limited edition Les Pauls and SG copies that have floyd tremolos, and of course are in the 24.75" scale (with the Epi neck being close to the slim 60's Gibson profile, though a touch thicker around the body join). They've all been just 21 or 22 frets though as far as I'm aware, and being limited runs, I doubt you could get a new one, and I don't imagine many people would be willing to sell theirs, as I know some have even been from the Elitist range and so are quite the collector's items. Again though, could be worth looking into anyway.
Thanks man .

I will definatly look into some ESP's .
Any particular models i should check (besides Viper , TM, Eclipse) ?

Oh and , nope i can't live without 24 frets , i use em all the time and i would add extra frets instead of going lower :P.
Quote by dehrfyjyhjyhk
great

**** you, bazaarofchina
go shove your cheap fake guitars up your ass, you're not gonna sell anything here.
Last edited by kyrreca at Nov 29, 2007,
Quote by Evil_Magician
Thanks man .

I will definatly look into some ESP's .
Any particular models i should check (besides Viper , TM, Eclipse) ?

Oh and , nope i can't live without 24 frets , i use em all the time and i would add extra frets instead of going lower :P.

Not too sure, I personally haven't played many ESP's. I've played one Eclipse, for a short time.