As far as I know the only diffrence between the two are the pickups: the RGA321F having the Dimarzio IBZ while the RGA 121 has the Ibanez IBZ.

Are the Dimarzio pickups that much better to justify the extra $200-$300 the 321F has over the 121?

I am not really picky on tone but if the Dimarzio ones are substantially better I would go for the 321F.

Theres also a maple cap on the 321F is this just for looks? If so I dont really care about the look so I won;t really take it into consideration.

I dont really want to replace pickups because all I do is bedroom practice and recording through a tone port.
Last edited by ixelion at Nov 28, 2007,
the 121 has a maple cap too, as far as I'm aware- just it's not flamed so doesn't look as pretty.

As far as I know, the extra $ are for pickups, and the fancy maple top.

It's really up to you- I'd go with the 121 and use the savings to put in the pickups of my own choice. $300 would buy you much nicer pickups than those ibz/dimarzio ones.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I think your right, it would be better to get the rga121 and some nicer pickups, it might be cheaper than the 321F and have better pickups as well.

I am considering replacing pickups perhaps a Tone Zone in the bridge and an Air Classic Neck in the neck. Are these better than the Dimarzio IBZ on the 321F?
Last edited by ixelion at Nov 28, 2007,
i wouldn't necessarily say better- when i tried the dimarzio/ibz pickups, i tried an ibanez j-custom with tone zone/air norton combo as well, and i preferred the tz/an; however, it's possible they just suited me more.

Rather, the advantage of buying the rga121 is that you can choose the exact pickups you want- even if they aren't "better", they could suit you and the music you mainly play better than the stock "dimarzio/ibz" ones on the rga121.

Of course, if you forked out for boutique pickups (e.g. bareknuckles, wcr, wolfetone, stephens design etc.), they would doubtless be better than the dimarzio/ibz ones.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hmm I think I would rather pick my own pups rather than use the stock Dimarzio in the 321F.

After looking at some online shops on the net it appears the the 321F is discontinued? Perhaps it was replaced by the PGM301 they seem fairly similar.

Anyway thanks for your help Dave.
no idea, i thought it was still available, but i could be wrong.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?