Page 1 of 2
Some of you may remember me from such threads as "I GOTS MA LANEY". Well this is a bit of an update and more amp pr0nz.

So, basically, here's the story of my AC30:

It was new in the late 80s and blew up inside at one point, in the power section. The original user took it a repair shop and forgot about it. Over the years it accumulated dust and bits broke off....

20-odd years later, my guitar teacher is given it by the owner of the repair shop. If he hadn't taken it, it'd be in a landfill site by now...

He told me about it in a lesson and I asked to have it to repair. And here it is!

Front

Chassis

Controls

Rear (speakers are the same, the big black thing is a removable plastic cover, the writing's worn off.)

So yeah, there you have it.

We tested the speakers. They both measure about 7 ohms impedance each, and still work. When a multimeter was put onto them they made noise, and then we plugged them into my dad's old NAD amp/CD player. We cranked it a bit, and good god was it loud.... The speakers didn't even distort either. If I'm not mistaken, they're original Celestion G12S', 20w ones (smaller than the Greenback) designed specifically for the amp. Although I may very well be wrong.

Oh, and I forgot to say: It's broken.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
i haychu!!

lovely!

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Congrats dude!

Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Nice socks.

Oh and nice amp.
Guitars Fender Highway 1 Telecaster, Vintage VS-6, Yamaha C-40 Classical
Amps Laney VC15, Crate GT212 *FOR SALE*
Pedals Fulltone OCD, Vox V847, Marshall The Echohead, EHX Small Clone, Korg DT-10

Member of the Laney Cult
Very nice.

Looks like it's time to break out a bit of the ol' spit and polish (less spit, maybe), don your kitten overall, some washing up gloves and get scrubbins'.

Oh, and, like, fix it.

Why does everybody always say when you can see feet? fetishists

Hendriko:

rhcp_freak:

Sharly:

Horlicks: I'm pretty sure it's just Tippex

Don_Humpador: yeah we're working on the cleaning - the grillcloth's a bit scuffed, but we're gonna do a bit of cleanage and get a leafblower in the back
^^

Now fix it and show us some clips!
Legra
RMC Wizard Wah
Blackstar DistX
Modded SD1
Phase 90
ZVex Fuzz Factory
WH4
Laney VC30 112
Roland MicroCube
YouTube!
Irishman of the Laney Cult
^ You're slightly underestimating this

I just realised I'm missing the filter choke, so I'll be redoing it with capacitor smoothing.

And I wouldn't be surprised if the Laney were to break
My Laney doesn't break it just breaks everything else. I swear it's done in my delay, don't ask me how I'm just blaming it.
Guitars Fender Highway 1 Telecaster, Vintage VS-6, Yamaha C-40 Classical
Amps Laney VC15, Crate GT212 *FOR SALE*
Pedals Fulltone OCD, Vox V847, Marshall The Echohead, EHX Small Clone, Korg DT-10

Member of the Laney Cult
Daaamnnn, NICE!
Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna make a whole lotta money

Gonna be big yeah...
(Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin')

flickr
Well even though it's broken, it does looks "nice"

oh and I like your socks, I have the same ones myself.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009

Everybody!

And thanks Gabe, great minds think alike and wear similar socks it would seem....

I've just been checking up some archive stuff. It's a mid to late 1980's 'Standard' AC30. The speakers should be Celestion G12-75Ts. I'll probably use it as a speaker cab while it's being fixed up. How safe is it to run an amp on a slightly different load? The speakers have drifted a bit, one's 6.8ish and the other's 7.something...
Very nice. However...do your feet have to feature in every photoshoot you do with your gear?

Can't wait to see and hear it when it's all sorted out
^

Yeah, I'm still planning out the build... I've got a few ideas:

-Total Vintage restore
-Weber kit
-Brian May style (Only have a normal channel, with a Master Volume)
-Build a whole new amp into it.
I'd go for the first option, personally. An AC30 is pretty hard to beat. I definitely wouldn't put a whole new amp in there - it just wouldn't be right.
Well maybe, but then you gotta factor in all the work to do. There's 6 Input Jacks, 10 valves to wire, each valve has 9 pins... It'd cost a lot more too.
True. I guess it depends on what you want the most and if you think that the amount of work and cost would be worth it. Remember that you'd be owning an impressive piece of history there.
Yeah for sure. Bah, difficult equation. They're all good options. I'm looking into AX84 porjects too, they have schems and layouts for their preamps and stuff. The Blues preamp's pretty interesting.

Whatever I make, it's gonna have a 30w AC30 Output stage, 100% for definite. Maybe a Master Volume in there....
I never understood why some amps (like this one) have so many inputs.

Is there any real advantage to this? What's the difference?
^ It was before switching was really invented that the multi inputs were used.
I believe it's because, back in the day, a lot of bands were too poor to have an amp for each person, and so would all plug into just the one amp.

Edit: ^ Or that.

Re-edit: I should've looked at the pictures first. In this case, it's what MrCarrot said
Definitely restore it. Do you know what's wrong with it?

(PS. If you aren't able to fix it, I'll come to Warwickshire and buy it off you).
Well if you get a Weber kit, keep in mind they use Chinese stuff. If I got a Weber kit I'd get one with upgraded transformers, possibly carbon comp resistors and new tubes.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

If you're gutting it, maybe stick a Ceriatone DC30 in there? (I still think you should restore it, though).
Very jealous of this.

Like the tippex 'NO' which i assume was added because someone didn't like the amp's trem.
Nice touch :p
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
your speaker is not broken in?

if i where you, i wouldnt play through it until it is
Quote by mr_hankey
If you're gutting it, maybe stick a Ceriatone DC30 in there? (I still think you should restore it, though).

+1
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

I dunno where I've read it but.. Did the 70's AC30's have solid state power sections?
These go to eleven...
I want to add something clever and important here, but I've got nothing.

Congrats on the amp! I'm definitely in the camp that you should do a complete restore, not that I know a lot about that particular model. One hybrid idea might be to put some sort of Franken-Vox in there, and hold onto the guts to redo the amp properly later on.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
very niiiice. looks like a lotta work, have fun with that
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Looks like a hella work to be doing, but I'm for not altering the original design, just a plain restore project. Come on, in the long run, you'll appreciate it more.
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by MrCarrot
^ It was before switching was really invented that the multi inputs were used.

Cool, thanks.

That's what I was thinking- they should just have switches to control that stuff, but I guess if they didn't really have many switches, then it would've been kinda hard.
u can jump inputs to squeeze more gain out of ur amp.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Wow, man. Wow. I'd really like one, the only problem is I'd feel the need to bow everytime I was in it's prescence. I'm a Vox fan, and am outgrowing the psuedo-Vox tone out of my AD50VT and really want a Classic Plus 50watt combo...If only, if only...
My attempt at gear-
Fender Jaguar (limited edition Cream with gold hardware.)
Goya Rangemaster (1967 Italian Archtop)
Martin SWDGT Acoustic.
Vox AD50VT.
Ibanez Tubescreamer, Wasabi Delay, MXR BLUE BOX.
Page 1 of 2