My squier affinity series will be losing its value to me in a couple of weeks when i get an american strat, so i was thinking about upgrading it to make it worth having around, its not like i can rly sell the thing.

anyways, what are some weird mods i could do to it? i want to make it rly unique. like some odd pickups??

i kno these arent odd but would EMGs give em a unique sound?

thanks
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Why would a set of one of the most favoured types of pickups (particularly for metal) around give you a unique sound?

I think you're confusing "unique" with "good". You can get a unique sound many ways, doesn't mean it'll be worth the effort. Also keep in mind that your amp plays a big role in the tone.

Are you looking for humbuckers or what? Look at the Irongear website, even if you don't like anything there, you might find out what you don't like. Might wanna take a look at onboard effects too, or pedal kits and the like. Depends what you mean by "weird" I suppose. I think they have some reasonably priced onboard effects at axesrus, but I can't vouch for quality.

Maybe scallop the frets? It won't give you a unique tone, but I scalloped the frets on a strat I had (now a wallhanger, the truss rod broke...) and it was pretty fun to play once you get used to it.

Peace, and happy tonechasing.
Quote by even_flow
Why would a set of one of the most favoured types of pickups (particularly for metal) around give you a unique sound?

I think you're confusing "unique" with "good". You can get a unique sound many ways, doesn't mean it'll be worth the effort. Also keep in mind that your amp plays a big role in the tone.

sorry, yea, i should have specified, by unique i mean, totally different from an HSS strat and a Jetking (<<has vintages pups)

thanks, ill look into those.

those onboard FX look pretty sweet, do they sound good?
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
go to project guitar and look around on the site.
i guarantee you will find something you like
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Crate XT120R
(broken) Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Boss AW-3 Dynamic Wah

lolzords
Fretless guitar!
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
Mini-humbuckers.
Who uses them? Near enough nobody, unique!
Or something like P-90 bridge minihumbucker neck? Or something like that.
Also scallopped frets from the 12 one? Or make it fretless from the 12th up like Scott Ian from Anthrax did!
You could put a Piezo pickup in there, an on/off switch for each pickup you put in, if there are three pickups in this can give more tonal variety if not, killswitch opportunities.
Sustainer pickup?
Mid-boost?
There are many things you can do just get a huge list and see what you'd want in a guitar.
Quote by bored_maniac33
sorry, yea, i should have specified, by unique i mean, totally different from an HSS strat and a Jetking (<<has vintages pups)

thanks, ill look into those.

those onboard FX look pretty sweet, do they sound good?

Oooooh ok. Well tbh, just about anywhere you go from here will give you a different sound as long as you don't buy generic singles/humbuckers. What sort of tone are you looking for? EMG's would DEFINITELY be a huge upgrade from the pups in your Squier Affinity, but I don't think that the guitar deserves them.

The onboard effects on axesrus? I think they have a 5-way switch that does distortion/overdrive etc that's to replace a tone pot, and I was considering buying one of those... I looked it up on the internet and it sounded ok, not a very heavy distortion but heavy enough for me. However, you'd get very little versatility out of it (because it's just five options, of course) and I've no idea what the quality is really like.

Peace
Quote by even_flow
Oooooh ok. Well tbh, just about anywhere you go from here will give you a different sound as long as you don't buy generic singles/humbuckers. What sort of tone are you looking for? EMG's would DEFINITELY be a huge upgrade from the pups in your Squier Affinity, but I don't think that the guitar deserves them.

The onboard effects on axesrus? I think they have a 5-way switch that does distortion/overdrive etc that's to replace a tone pot, and I was considering buying one of those... I looked it up on the internet and it sounded ok, not a very heavy distortion but heavy enough for me. However, you'd get very little versatility out of it (because it's just five options, of course) and I've no idea what the quality is really like.

Peace

ah o ok, well im looking for either a rly high gain pup like an EMG or somethign with a very unique sound. idk rly, something that would be good for some interesting indy stuff. i like toe experiment with different sounds.

thanks
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
id relic it, could be fun
www.myspace.com/funkmecrazy
Stevie Ray Vaughan and John Bonham's number one fan

"how do you make a 15 watt solid state amp sound good?"
Quote by p o e
step one, insert screwdriver into speaker
step two buy a good amp