Hey, just had a joint and got this inspiration to write an ambient guitar song. And this is an example of what i got, but i have no idea what scale to use for this progression (it kinda loops on that). It sounds kinda "evil". Natural minor definetly doesn't fit.

|-------------|-------------|
|-------------|-5-----------|
|-5-7---------|---8---------|
That's not a progression, that's four notes. Any scale that contain those four notes can be used.
Well, if i change them to power chords it's four of them

Yeah, i'm not making too much sense.
Quote by zakass
umm....

go smoke another one and see what happens?

After that i won't be able to converse in UG anymore.
Quote by zakass
umm....

go smoke another one and see what happens?

LOL ! but not to be to be to critical try seeing if any locrian or harmonic minor fits the scale if u want to do a evil song (the mode dictionairy lesson might be very bennificial for you if yr to lazy to figure it out on yr own)
If you're using power chords based off the root notes you listed, A dorian fits perfectly...
^he's saying it uses power chords tho, so with B5 in the mix you have F# which gives the A dorian sound
Locrian seems to fit quite well. I tried Dorian too but it didn't have C, which this thing i have in my head seems to need.
hmmm i forgot he wanted to do power chords LOL, anyways i think hed had to skip the power chords and he allready said he didnt want a natural minor didnt he? he might have to try the same chords on different intervals
Quote by Tzeel
Locrian seems to fit quite well. I tried Dorian too but it didn't have C, which this thing i have in my head seems to need.

?? A Dorian has C... it's A B C D E F# G
Quote by Stash Jam
^he's saying it uses power chords tho, so with B5 in the mix you have F# which gives the A dorian sound

good point. didn't think of that.
Quote by Stash Jam
?? A Dorian has C... it's A B C D E F# G

It's in B.

This thing is progressing!

I'll post the Guitar pro file later for your amusement, dark ambient music made with effects of natural substances and poor knowledge of theory.
yah a B locrian will work out fine i just looked and locrian is yr go to scale for dark stuff, have fun
^B phrygian would make more sense than B locrian in this context, but anyways looking forward to hearing the 'dark ambient music made with effects of natural substances and poor knowledge of theory'.
Quote by natedapunk
yah but phrygian for dark lol?

Um yeah, do you think phyrgian sounds bright?
nah i just think locrians better for the dark stuff:P i dont mean this as a personal insult lol
crap, this thing is so full of licks with no relation to each other whatsoever. gotta sharpen my senses. or smoke more.
nated, haha no worries. While you obviously love the locrian mode, you need to understand the way chords and scales relate to one another, cause believe it or not locrian won't always work
Tzeel i think u need more pot lol and stash Locrain isnt actually my fav but if i wanna do ambient il usually use locrain and try and just make ****ed up chords using the scale for rythem haha as yah its pretyt hard to get the average chord progression to fit the locrian, But other than that im all about the E minor:P and apprently now D major LOL
Quote by natedapunk
Tzeel i think u need more pot lol and stash Locrain isnt actually my fav but if i wanna do ambient il usually use locrain and try and just make ****ed up chords using the scale for rythem haha as yah its pretyt hard to get the average chord progression to fit the locrian, But other than that im all about the E minor:P and apprently now D major LOL

For the love of God, please use decent spelling and grammar. It will be easier to understand what you're saying, and more people will take the time to read your posts.

Also, Dorian can be made to sound darker than Phrygian, and Phrygian can be made to sound brighter than Dorian - it depends on context and application.

Locrian is not the only "dark" scale, nor is it the darkest. Again, it's how you use it that matters.
yes but its easier to make dark im not saying its the only way , im just saying its easier just like its easier to sound good on a gibson than it is on a squier LOL
Pfft. I'll finish this thing tomorrow. Or at least improve it.
My gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Squier Fat Strat Deluxe
Yamaha FG700 Acoustic
Old Nylonstrung Acoustic

Peavey Classic 50w 2/12
Roland Cube 30X
Roland Cube 60 (30~ years old)
Vox 847A Wah Pedal
Digitech Bad Monkey
Old Ibanez Rack Delay