I read about this problem a lot, and I realized that I have the same problem. I can't seem to leave the pentatonics when I solo/improv. What do I do or learn to help this?
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
is This Getting Your Juices Flowing?
Member #3 of the Breaking Benjamin Fanclub PM Electric7 to join.
I find the same thing. I always end up playing the same little diddies, like my fingers just play them instinctively. I find it really limits my ability. On a related note, is it necessary to learn all 5 positions of the major scale?
Learn different scales (hungarian, melodic minor, harmonic minor, major scale modes, etc.)
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by metal4all
Learn different scales (hungarian, melodic minor, harmonic minor, major scale modes, etc.)

Not much help, and really it's just running from the problem because even just the
pentatonic scale can provide a lot of variety.

A rut is doing the same things over and over. So, either you're not practicing
anything new, or you're just not practicing. Just looking at any give scale, there's
a infinite variety of sequences, patterns, triads, intervals.... Practice new things
enough and they'll start to show up in your playing.
Quote by edg
Not much help, and really it's just running from the problem because even just the
pentatonic scale can provide a lot of variety.

A rut is doing the same things over and over. So, either you're not practicing
anything new, or you're just not practicing. Just looking at any give scale, there's
a infinite variety of sequences, patterns, triads, intervals.... Practice new things
enough and they'll start to show up in your playing.

It's how i broke out of the box.

I would compare that damn pentatonic box to a heroin addiction. I never wanted to stop playing that damn box. Then i figured out there's a bunch of other cool scales. Now i only play the pentatonic box shapes every now and then and when i do play them i don't just do those speed licks in which you run up and down, i get some cool sounding things that i would usually get out of other scales.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Instead of running through the same licks over and over, try and forget everything you know and play like you've never played pentatonics before.

Also, think of a melody in your head and then play it.
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat
Washburn HB35
PRS Santana SE
Yamaha Pacifica 112MX
Vox AD30VT
Fender Champion 600
Dunlop wah
Danelectro Cool Cat fuzz
Quote by FoolOnThePlanet
I read about this problem a lot, and I realized that I have the same problem. I can't seem to leave the pentatonics when I solo/improv. What do I do or learn to help this?

listen to eric johnson. he plays the pentatonic a lot but makes it sound different. you just have to try new things and find new ways of playing the same scale. try not to stick to one shape. the notes repeat themselves across the neck. but they sound a little different. so try moving around more and not sticking to the same old licks. also, trying adding passing tones from various modes. its an easy way to spice up your playing.
Well, I went to cyberfret and took a look at their improv section and that's helped drastically already. I've learned the rest of the pentatonic forms and know some variants. It's all still pentatonic, but I can move up and down the fretboard and I have much more variety now...

I'll look into other scales too. I know the major and all 3 minors, first form at least.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
Learn a ****load of melodies by your favourite guitarists and work out which modes they fit into. If they extend into multiple positions, learn to play them the usual way AND with string skipping.
Quote by marmoseti
Mastering your instrument is being able to play whatever you hear in your head, unhindered by inadequate technique. After that, it's all about what you've got to say, so there would be no "best," just a bunch of people saying exactly what they mean.
Look. Just map out pentatonics on the fretboard and learn them. I won't say positions, just remember where the notes are. Also, it's useful to know scale degrees, because no matter in what exact scale you're in, the interval between them sounds same.
"The end result - the music - is all that counts"
Yeah, people over complicate the issue. If you're playing the minor pentatonic then that's what you're playing, there are no different "forms" or "shapes"...you're just playing the minor pentatonic in whatever key you happen to be in. The sooner you forget about boxes and shapes and get your head round the fact that there's only 5 actual notes you need to be worrying about for any given key it becomes a lot simpler in my opinion.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Yeah, people over complicate the issue. If you're playing the minor pentatonic then that's what you're playing, there are no different "forms" or "shapes"...you're just playing the minor pentatonic in whatever key you happen to be in. The sooner you forget about boxes and shapes and get your head round the fact that there's only 5 actual notes you need to be worrying about for any given key it becomes a lot simpler in my opinion.
EXACTLY!

yah i think what pple need to do is screw the box idea i dotn care waht any one says yr not gonna play it just up and down u have to skip notes and play around with it anyways and why would u wanna be limited between 3 frets no just stop thinking boxes start memorizing the notes on the fretboard and just wank the scale over all over the neck and not just 3 gay frets
Quote by natedapunk
EXACTLY!

yah i think what pple need to do is screw the box idea i dotn care waht any one says yr not gonna play it just up and down u have to skip notes and play around with it anyways and why would u wanna be limited between 3 frets no just stop thinking boxes start memorizing the notes on the fretboard and just wank the scale over all over the neck and not just 3 gay frets

+1 on that. I don't now all the notes all over the neck yet, but what I've done is learn all the positions of all the E's all over (I play in Eminor a lot, Metallica's fault) and start from there. It's allways the same: after the root it goes whole step, half step, whole step, etc... (for the minor scale that is).

Begin with the box you know and then expand that in the direction up n down the neck, you can play an entire scale on just one string too.