Can someone explain how these work?

I "learned" (slept through) this chapter last week in computer class and I've got an HP Pavillion series laptop with 1GB ram 40GB free unused hard drive space, and windows vista installed.

Yet it takes me a half hour to load the "Connect To Network" window. Something isn't right.

Did a virus scan, ran disk scans, multiple scans, did a defragment last week, spyware/adware, disk clean up, everything. System diagnostics say my RAM operations per second are rated at 4.6/5 points, so it should be working great.

But it's not.

Anyone know if it would be possible to Dual-Boot with XP to check if it would work in Vista's place?
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
You need at least 2GB of RAM to run Vista smoothly.

To do a dual boot of Vista and XP, first format your hard drive. Install XP. Then install Vista. You must do these things in this exact order. I learned that the hard way.

After you install Vista, download a utility program called EasyBCD. This step isn't necessary but it helps you optimize your boot options.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Nov 28, 2007,
Ah, snap. Thanks. That pretty much eliminates that option.

My laptop came loaded with Vista so I doubt I can get a key to re-install Vista. If I clear Vista off, I either A) buy vista or B) load XP as my main OS.

Problem is I dunno if all the drivers for my hardware are compatible with XP.

In case it helps any, here's the laptop.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3343296&body=MAIN#detailspecs
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
Quote by CLVPX
Try Here

I've tried that before. Didn't work.

As someone who has failed multiple times trying to dual boot Vista and XP, I stress that my method is the only guaranteed and sure way of successfully dual booting the OS's.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
You need at least 2GB of RAM to run Vista smoothly.

Vista =

Wolfie, Moley, Witty, Dgmey, Grundy
Quote by Ishiga
Ah, snap. Thanks. That pretty much eliminates that option.

My laptop came loaded with Vista so I doubt I can get a key to re-install Vista. If I clear Vista off, I either A) buy vista or B) load XP as my main OS.

Problem is I dunno if all the drivers for my hardware are compatible with XP.

In case it helps any, here's the laptop.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3343296&body=MAIN#detailspecs

By law, a computer with Windows OS has to have a product sticker somewhere on the computer. Check on the bottom of your laptop. Chances are, there's a Microsoft sticker with the key code.

And as for hardware and XP, they should be compatible. Just use another computer to access to the HP website. Go to their drivers section and download the drivers for XP.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
It's best to use a quality linux boot loader, even if you're running pure Windows.

Just get a linux live CD, install grub on your hard drive's MBR, and configure it to boot Vista or XP. Trust me, Microsoft doesn't know **** about coding GUI software, let alone a boot loader.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Quote by Muphin
It's best to use a quality linux boot loader, even if you're running pure Windows.

Just get a linux live CD, install grub on your hard drive's MBR, and configure it to boot Vista or XP. Trust me, Microsoft doesn't know **** about coding GUI software, let alone a boot loader.

Vista comes with a boot manager...

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Vista comes with a boot manager...

It still uses boot.ini, right?
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Quote by Muphin
It still uses boot.ini, right?

Yea, but I'm not sure what that does specifically.

But I know that Vista is capable of handling XP, whereas the reverse is not true.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana