Page 1 of 2
Quote by Guitarist132
A fretted violin? Thats lame

+1, violins are badass the way they are
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci
why are metal musicians prone to fatness?
Cause there music is heavy.

Writing music is hard D:
fretted violins are for people with absolutely no tonal awareness.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
yeah. i think one of the reasons i respect stringed-instrument players is because they're working without threats.

this is lame.
I play violin
And believe me.. you'll want a cello instead.

without frets.
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Fretted violin might as well be a mandolin.

Also, I don't really like this.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Ive played violin for near 9 years, frets just suck the skill out of it
Beauty Supreme

Yeah you were right about me
im pretty sure that guy has some sense of tonal awarness.
he ripped on that fretless
We be burnin'
I'll admit the frets make it much easier to play but when you hear Mark Wood play it doesn't even matter. He is kinda like Apocalyptica is on the cellos. I got his autograph and stuff when he played at my school a couple months ago. Cool guy.
Quote by tunasband
Who's ug?
Quote by Guitarist132
Ive played violin for near 9 years, frets just suck the skill out of it

yup.

I'm not impressed at all when I watch him on that fretted violin. I mean, does it even technically qualify as a violin? surely it's just a mandolin, played unconventionally?

[tangentially, i've been playing for 11 years- we should make a group]
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by rabidguitarist
yup.

I'm not impressed at all when I watch him on that fretted violin. I mean, does it even technically qualify as a violin? surely it's just a mandolin, played unconventionally?

Then watch the unfretted part of the video. I don't discredit him just because he can play a fretted violin.
That midi pickup and w/e that piece of kit that makes your guitar sound like a church organ.

Fretted violin, but its not a violin its some b*st*rdised version of it. Much like the freaky hurdy gurdy which should of never existed.
Quote by rabidguitarist
yup.

9 years here.

Interesting....

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Power metal anyone?
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
Quote by Deliriumbassist

you busked with ed alleyne-johnson?????

duuuuude.
I would love to play with that man.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Quote by vintage x metal
I play violin
And believe me.. you'll want a cello instead.

without frets.

Seconded.
Quote by rabidguitarist
you busked with ed alleyne-johnson?????

duuuuude.
I would love to play with that man.

He's an absolute dude. On World Tour atm though with New Model Army. And Chester council is getting fed up with the buskers and might ban them
"Finally, it's cool to play violin."

It's always been cool to play a violin. I hope these things don't become popular.
Who dat?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
He's an absolute dude. On World Tour atm though with New Model Army. And Chester council is getting fed up with the buskers and might ban them

really? damn..

I don't go to chester that often, but they have much better buskers than liverpool. T

and they should ban streetvangelists first.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Quote by Anarion614

It's always been cool to play a violin. I hope these things don't become popular.

Ugh, I never said that or tried to insinuate that I hope you know.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
but the black dude with the red jumper is pure awesome, lol

we should totally busk sometime.

violin & bass, get a guitarist as well, it's gotta be good.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Quote by rabidguitarist
fretted violins are for people with absolutely no tonal awareness.

Agreed, if i were to play a fretted violin I'm 100% sure that I'd hate the fact that I'm always going to be SLIGHTLY out of tune . . . and theres nothing you can do about it. I mean, it might not be apparent to someone who doesnt play violin, but Ive played for 10 years now . . . and I like it just the way it is.

If I could get hold of a guitar with a finish half as nice as my violin's I'd be blissfully happy
I second (third?) the requests for an ug violinist group
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
your speaker is not broken in?

if i where you, i wouldnt play through it until it is
Quote by Archaon
Wouldn't the frets make vibrato a lot harder on violin?

I don't really know. I've been playing violin for a while and guitar for 2 years and I do vibrato on a fretted guitar just like a violin and it sounds ok. Also the frets on my mandolin make vibrato sound fine.
Incase you're wondering, that first piece at [00:20] is the BWV 1006 Lute Suite Prelude by J.S. Bach. I think it sounds 100X better on guitar:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=oPfZVflJdp0

Anyways, if I were to become a violinist, I would certainly stay more conservative towards the Art and play a traditional violin from the Classical or Romantic era.
Quote by Anarion614

+10
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
wow those are pretty awesome, what is that hes playing in teh beginning? isn't it from one of bach's lute suites?

EDIT: nvm just read madcaps post... hah
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
Sweet.
''Technological advancements are like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.'' - Albert Einstein
Fretted "violins" have existed since the 15th century. They're called "viols."

Music history, ftw.
Hi, I'm Peter
Page 1 of 2