I'm looking for a dirt box with a built-in noise gate. I can only think of two. I had a Line 6 Uber Metal and its noise gate worked incredibly well. The BBE and TCE dirt boxes look interesting, but none have built-in noise gates. Please fill in any others you can think of!

Dirt boxes with built-in noise gates:

• Line 6 Uber Metal [$70 USD]
• Zvex Box of Metal [$300 USD]
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Im saying the ZVEX. i cant think of any other distortions with noise gates.
The obvious solution is just to buy a separate "dirt box" and noise gate. Very few pedals have them. You might have chosen the only two.
My Gear:
-Schecter C-1 Plus (Vintage Sunburst)
-B-52 AT-212 Tube Combo
-ZW-44 Zakk Wylde Overdrive
-Digitech RP350 Multi-Effects Pedal
-Hamer Slammer Strat Copy
Quote by soccerdude3465
The obvious solution is just to buy a separate "dirt box" and noise gate. Very few pedals have them. You might have chosen the only two.
Well, the noise gate is so good in the Uber Metal, it's like buying a noise gate and getting a free pedal. Just wanted to scour the UG minds to check if there were others with built-in noise gates. I thought there were more, but when I started to check around, I could only find these two.

Also, the built-in noise gates in the G-series TC effects units are also very good. But all I really want in this particular set-up (my 6505 set-up, not my Engl E530 set-up, which is in another location) is a dirt box and a noise gate, so I thought I'd just get one with both.
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Nov 28, 2007,
You can mod the Big Muffs to have a noise gate. I saw it in GBC, but I forgot the link.

My noise gate is my killswitch... yep.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by forsaknazrael
But why do you need more distortion/gain to a 6505?
Because I'm a F*CKING GAIN WH*RE!!! Well, I love the sound of my 6505. But, you should hear it with a cheap Danelectro Metal pedal in front of it. It's the sound I've been looking for my whole life!!! So, I just wanted a better dirt pedal with a noise gate already in it. The Zvex stuff, although very, very nice, is a bit steep for something you really can't demo or return. Might try that Uber Metal pedal again.

haha, that poor amp. Running it thru an MG cab with a Dani metal pedal? your going to make that amp emo man, lol. J/k, glad you found your tonal nirvana.

Are you sure you want strictly a gate though? A supressor is a smarter unit, a gate will just cut everthing off after what it's threshold is set at. A supressor like the ISP Decimator will get rid of more actual "noise". I wouldn't get one just because it's combined with something else either, a badly designed noise gate/supressor will rob your tone blind.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
haha, that poor amp. Running it thru an MG cab with a Dani metal pedal? your going to make that amp emo man, lol. J/k, glad you found your tonal nirvana.
Seriously . . . you HAVE to hear it, Erock! If you heard it, I'm sure you'd be impressed. Just WAIT until I get a recorder in that room! You think that's weird, WAIT until I tell you about my new Engl E530 set-up (finally got that power amp I was waiting on)! That's going to COMPLETELY befuddle the UG tone gods here! The results are so surprising and unexpected, I can't believe it myself! But, that's for another thread, later . . .

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Nov 29, 2007,
I really would simply get a decent noise gate - think about it, you have that awesome ENGL pre-amp, and now you're looking at what's most likely going to be a lower quality stomp box with a noise gate added as an afterthought, not exactly the recipe for great tone. Get yourself an ISP Decimator if you need a noise gate.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
The Ibanez SM-7 has a built in noise gate as well.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Quote by Green_Jelly
The Ibanez SM-7 has a built in noise gate as well.
Hey, thanks! That pedal actually looks quite interesting. And it's only $50! Yeah, I just wanted to cull a list of dirt boxes with built-in noise gates. I know I can just buy a Decimator, but that wasn't what I was looking for right at the moment. So far, I have only three dirt boxes with built-in noise gates:

• Ibanez SM7 Tone Lok Smash Box Distortion Pedal [$50 USD]
• Line 6 Uber Metal [$70 USD]
• Zvex Box of Metal [$300 USD]

So, it looks like we may have a winner! The Zvex was more than I wanted to spend, and I've already had an Uber Metal, so it might be fun to try the Ibanez for a change. Thanks again! Great find!

I have the Ibanez sitting on a shelf thats been collecting dust for three years.

its HORRIBLE, think Metal Zone but far worse.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Quote by igotabcrich32
I have the Ibanez sitting on a shelf thats been collecting dust for three years.

its HORRIBLE, think Metal Zone but far worse.
Thanks for the warning. Well, it sure has a lot of fans over at HC. But pedals are so amp-specific. Maybe this pedal just doesn't like playing through Fender amps?