Poll: what works best?
Poll Options
View poll results: what works best?
Wha first
10 77%
Distortion first.
3 23%
Voters: 13.
What the tite says. What works best? I have a Dunlop 535Q and a Boss DS-1 distortion. I want to get a Godsmack wah sound. but if you dont know thats ok. but what im asking is. What works better. [amp]---[wah]----[disotrtion]----(guitar)====[] or [amp]---[distortion]----[wah]---(guitar)=====[]. Thanks.
Quote by nasstyman
i busted a g-string while fingering a minor...
Quote by 18zzz18
REPLY DUDE! YOU COULD BE THE SAVIOUR OF THE EARTH AND ALL OF MANKIND! (:
0h @nd U M@Y H@V3 2 T@LK L1K3 TH1S..... 1TZ TH3 L@NGU@G3 0F TH3 FUTUR3
Quote by RMC06
My old band teacher once called me a penis wrinkle.
Last edited by MetallicGod07 at Nov 28, 2007,
Distortion after wah is more traditional, but you can get crazy foo sounds the other way round.

It's your choice.
amp---distortion----wah---guitar. Trust me, had horrible problems when I first got a sperate Ibanez Weeping Demon wah instead of just using the one with my Digitech RP 200A.
My Gear:
2006 PRS SE Singlecut with Dragon pickups
2003 Yamaha acoustic
2001 Squire Strat
28Watt Squire Champ 15
65Watt Peavey Express 112
Digitech RP200 Artist Effects Pedal
Boss Compressor
I would personally put the wah before the distortion i.e guitar-->wah-->dist.-->amp

Then again, I don't even use a distortion pedal, I use my amp's valve distortion instead, with a DOD Malmsteen Signature OD pedal in the effects loop *with an ISP Decimator* as a volume boost, without too much added distortion to the original signal. Nonetheless my front-of-amp effects chain is a Phase 90 into a Crybaby 535q.

Might not be the most recommended setup, but it works best with my amp for the practicality I need live.
Last edited by last_biscuit at Nov 28, 2007,
i always but the wah in between my amp and my distortion, I like to think that I'm "wah-ing" everything that comes before it - except my compressor - that's the ultimate last. but that's just me
Keep the change, pimps don't jangle
ok so....[amp]----[wah]---[dist.]--[guitar]. Is that right?
Quote by nasstyman
Quote by 18zzz18
Quote by RMC06
Quote by MetallicGod07
ok so....[amp]----[wah]---[dist.]--[guitar]. Is that right?

Erm, no. Not according to the general concensus, including me.
|> Amp - DS-1 - Wah - Guitar <| that's what mine is (with NS-2 in between but we arn't counting that) also a few other people above said they do that.....so I guess try that lol.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, you've put "Wah first then distortion or distortion then wah?" well, first from what? first from guitar or first from amp?.........sorry to moan but I really can't help it
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Last edited by SurfinWithSatch at Nov 28, 2007,
Quote by SurfinWithSatch
|> Amp - DS-1 - Wah - Guitar <| that's what mine is (with NS-2 in between but we arn't counting that) also a few other people above said they do that.....so I guess try that lol.
No i have been doing that. but I want a very strong "wah" sound. Like when im soloing you can hear it very well but without taking out the distortin.
Quote by nasstyman
Quote by 18zzz18
Quote by RMC06
Try adjusting the settings on your 535Q then, just keep swapping them around and turning knobs and flipping switchs and hunting swans until you get what you want.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Quote by MetallicGod07
No i have been doing that. but I want a very strong "wah" sound. Like when im soloing you can hear it very well but without taking out the distortin.

Looking at your gear, why are you using a DS-1 with a Line 6 Spider? essentially if you put the wah between the DS-1 and the amp you're getting dist-->wah-->dist, assuming you're not using the DS-1 on the line 6's clean channel (which surely sounds even worse than the amps own distortion?!

And if the wah is cutting out your distortion, it's probably to do with the signal chain getting messed up, or the amp...
Quote by last_biscuit
Looking at your gear, why are you using a DS-1 with a Line 6 Spider? essentially if you put the wah between the DS-1 and the amp you're getting dist-->wah-->dist, assuming you're not using the DS-1 on the line 6's clean channel (which surely sounds even worse than the amps own distortion?!

And if the wah is cutting out your distortion, it's probably to do with the signal chain getting messed up, or the amp...
I'm trying to get a new amp, but i cant caue i dont have that much money because the $600 i have goes to my Les Paul im getting this December. I use it on my clean channel setting though.
Quote by nasstyman
Quote by 18zzz18
Quote by RMC06
Quote by MetallicGod07
I'm trying to get a new amp, but i cant caue i dont have that much money because the $600 i have goes to my Les Paul im getting this December. I use it on my clean channel setting though.

Ok, everyone has to do their best to get by lol. Anyway, what I would suggest to you is to use the amp's own distortion while using the wah pedal, as this should sort out the problem of the distortion levels changing when sweeping the wah backwards and forwards, and just give the tonal change of the pedal instead.

In other words, for any time you use the wah change to the amp's own distortion channel. I assume you aren't playing live, but if so then I don't know if there is a footswitch for the smaller spiders...I used to own the 150watt Spider II 2x12 so that came with a footswitch to go between the channels.

If putting the wah between the distortion and the amp works ok for you though, then go for it. If you're after a certain sound of your own, there is no 'correct' way to order the pedals apart from the way you want to put them.
Quote by last_biscuit
Then again, I don't even use a distortion pedal, I use my amp's valve distortion instead, with a DOD Malmsteen Signature OD pedal in the effects loop *with an ISP Decimator* as a volume boost, without too much added distortion to the original signal. Nonetheless my front-of-amp effects chain is a Phase 90 into a Crybaby 535q.

Might not be the most recommended setup, but it works best with my amp for the practicality I need live.

What amp are you using and why do you have the YJM308 in the effects loop? I've got my YJM308 in front of my Legacy. It wasn't that great in the loop.
Quote by Guitarmiester
What amp are you using and why do you have the YJM308 in the effects loop? I've got my YJM308 in front of my Legacy. It wasn't that great in the loop.

I use a Hughes & Kettner Switchblade head and VC412 angled cab.

I have only had it a week, and I bought it as a volume boost mainly, and mild tonal change, to help cut through the mix live when playing leads/harmonies.

As I've had electricians in my house in the week aswell, I have only been able to try it on the H&K once, but at rehearsal on the crappy Marshall AVT stacks, rather than giving a volume boost through the front of amp, it was boosting the gain at a level that just increased distortion rather than volume.

Putting it in the loop then meant it didn't add as much gain *I have the gain knob set at about 8.5/9 o'clock* but gave a much more prominent volume boost. I assumed this was due to putting it into the chain after the preamp.
Wah before because it sounds alot better because the wah isnt modifying the Distortion to much. I go Guitar>Tuner>Compressor/EQ>Wah>OD/Dist.>Modulation>Delay>Amp with the modulation in my effects loop right now but i used to have it out of the loop. Thats my opinion.
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender American 52 Telecaster RI
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Tanglewood Acoustic
Fender F-80-12
Various Pedals
Orange Rockerverb 50 Head
Orange Cabinets
I've got the level maxed and the gain at about 9-10 o'clock. I still get a noticeable volume boost with it in front of my amp, as well as slightly more gain. I've tried the YJM308 in the loop once, maybe I'll try it again out of curiosity.
Quote by Guitarmiester
I've got the level maxed and the gain at about 9-10 o'clock. I still get a noticeable volume boost with it in front of my amp, as well as slightly more gain. I've tried the YJM308 in the loop once, maybe I'll try it again out of curiosity.

Tbh, It doesn't do too much good for your tone with the gain turned up on it in the effects loop though Makes quite a bassy fuzz, though that may be what you're after occasionally.

Then again, I play in a band which is usually described as a modern take *minus the screaming* on classic metal with punk influences. Think Iron Maiden meets Metallica meets Ramones and then played by a guitarist very much into modern techniques/approaches to guitar
As long as it gets you the sound you're after. I used to use an old Marshall Drive Master in the effects loop, but that was a totally different setup than I'm using now.
Quote by Guitarmiester
As long as it gets you the sound you're after. I used to use an old Marshall Drive Master in the effects loop, but that was a totally different setup than I'm using now.

Exactly I wanted to keep as much of my amp's valve-distortion tone as I could, but I couldn't find any decent volume boost pedals that didn't seem outrageously overpriced for what they do.

At least with an OD pedal I can use it in my amps clean channel to record a more classic rock sound aswell.

What's your setup like then? And what styles do you mainly play? You seem to know your stuff, so I'm going to guess blues
When I was using that setup a few years ago with the DriveMaster in the effects loop I was in a classic rock band, played some blues as well. At the time, I'm playing/recording a lot of instrumental music. I got a Carvin Legacy 2x12 combo in August, amazing amp. I'm still going through OD pedals, but I've been using the YJM308 OD with all of my setups for at least the past 4 or 5 years.

I just got a BBE Green Screamer that I've been playing around with. Still, I'll probably stick with the YJM308.
Ah cool, Is the legacy the amp Steve Vai uses or at least used in the last few years?

I've not really looked into amps like that, I went for my H&K because it seemed to do everything I could want out of it and when I played it in the boutique instrument shop it lived up to the praise H&K get that I've heard.

Then again, I can't imagine being more pleased with an amp than I am with mine on my current budget and with my current needs.
He's been using the Legacy and still using the Legacy to this day. He's working with Carvin on a new 3-channel Legacy. I've never had the chance to play any H&K amps. I've heard a lot of good things about the Tri-amp and Switchblade.