Ok so i got a concert like next monday and i just got my song today.

The A section of the song is a bit tricky to improvise over and I'm in desperate need of help

The progression im having trouble with is

4 C7 F7|Bb7 EbMaj7 | C7 F7 | Bb7 Ebmaj7 G+7 ||

I just need some lick ideas, scales, etc.

HELP PLEASE!!!

thanks
Last edited by Alex S. at Nov 28, 2007,
Know what key it's in? If you're looking for scales to play, you can get away with the Bb major scale. It fits with Eb major aswell, but seeing as there's no Ab in the Ebmaj7 chord, it's closer to fitting Bb. But if you're soloing with Eb major, be careful of the Ab. Play it over the Ebmaj7 chord only I'd say, to mix it up a little. It might sound a little 'off' over the other seventh chords.
For the actual improvisation itself, try to hit the root notes of the chord if you're a little unsure. I don't know how advanced you are, playing wise, so I'm sorry if this is all a bit patronising for you. I don't mean it to be. Just covering all bases. Hit the root notes of the chords if you're a bit shaky in that part. It's a safe bet. Find out and learn what the other notes in the chords are and make sure you know where these notes are on the fretboard.
And if you know your modes of the major scale, that'll help too.
That's in the key of Eb.
that whole progression is in motion, towards and coming squarely to rest on the Eb.

You have a Dominant V chain at the start and leading back from the end to the top.

C7 = V7 of the V7 of the V7
F7 = V7 of the V7
Bb7 = V7
Emaj7 = Imaj7
G+7 = V7 of the V7 of the V7 of the V7
Quote by Alex S.
Ok so i got a concert like next monday and i just got my song today.

The A section of the song is a bit tricky to improvise over and I'm in desperate need of help

The progression im having trouble with is

4 C7 F7|Bb7 EbMaj7 | C7 F7 | Bb7 Ebmaj7 G+7 ||

I just need some lick ideas, scales, etc.

HELP PLEASE!!!

thanks

heres some scales that would work. You could also try to arpeggiate each chord. (maybe not for the entire solo, but it would be a good exercise to arpeggiate the progression)

(scales)
C mixo F Mixo | Eb ---------------|C mixo F mixo | Eb ----------------G whole tone|

C7 ---- F7 ------ | Bb7-- EbMaj7-- |C7------F7 -----| Bb7 -- Ebmaj7-- G+7 ||
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Nov 29, 2007,
^ thank you very much

Its just that one progression i have problems with

The song actually is in Eb (key sig) so whoever guessed that gets a cookie

Does anyone have any lick ideas or some sequences i could chain together. I'm a freshman trying to improv in jazz and its killing me haha

thanks everyone

AS A BONUS COOKIE!!

Name the song
Last edited by Alex S. at Nov 29, 2007,
The Bb7 Eb∆ bars are in Eb

Note that C is playable over all four chords (excluding the G)

apart from that - don't worry about scales - just play the chords!