How would i go about learning and working on sight reading? Ive heard people recommend the Real Book but i wouldnt know where to start on learning how to sight read.

Thanks.
Quote by csn00b
I hate seeing cute girls topless and what not, it just feels wrong.
im confused. all sight reading is is looking at a song for the first time and giving your best shot at just playing it...
Quote by 51VH50
im confused. all sight reading is is looking at a song for the first time and giving your best shot at just playing it...

yeah but you can work on it.
Quote by csn00b
Quote by 51VH50

it's really more of a playing it AS you are reading it for the first time. so you have to be able to read ahead a few notes from what you're playing, and play from that.
You just have to get really REALLY good at reading and it just comes with that, so work on reading I guess

actually, the best way to learn sight reading is to play a song accurately at tempo. If you want to play at 10bpm and do everything correctly that's better then reading at 50bpm and playing every note as a quarter note. Also, if you screw up it's *very* important to *not* stop or go back. Play through.

You should know your major scales and your circle of fifths. After that reading music isn't too bad.

Lastly, you shouldn't practice a song more then two times a week, and never right next to each other. Otherwise you risk memorizing the sheet.

A good book is Modern Method for Guitar (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=com.ubuntu%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=RnY&q=Modern+Method+for+Guitar+filetype%3Apdf&btnG=Search)
Theres only one real way man, by some manuscript paper and write down about 50 random 10 note melodies......
Maybe put up a poster where you work showing note positions and memorize em...

Then, either with your DIY or teachers aid melodies, play one a day, slowly at first, and accuratelly, reading as you go! You'll get better only by practise at actually doing sight reading!!! Good Luck I assumed you were talking about proper notation here,,,,, if not, with tab, it's really easy...just play heaps and it becomes second nature.
Mal: "Doctor, I'm taking your sister under my protection here. If anything happens to her, anything at all, I swear to you, I will get very choked up. Honestly, there could be tears." FIREFLY RULES!!!
Sight read at tempo, a lot. Preferably in a situation where other people are expecting you to keep up.

Something with a large collection of little studies is ideal (something like arban's or something) so you can always have something you've never seen before.
Quote by Imafrog
Theres only one real way man, by some manuscript paper and write down about 50 random 10 note melodies......
Maybe put up a poster where you work showing note positions and memorize em...

Then, either with your DIY or teachers aid melodies, play one a day, slowly at first, and accuratelly, reading as you go! You'll get better only by practise at actually doing sight reading!!! Good Luck I assumed you were talking about proper notation here,,,,, if not, with tab, it's really easy...just play heaps and it becomes second nature.

not tab.im done with tabs for now.ive used tabs for like the past 4 years so i need to work on all this now and hopefully be mediocre in like 2 years to get into Berklee.
Quote by csn00b