Hey everyone, i've finally decided on my guitar (after months of searching). Yes, it's a Fender Std. Fat Strat. I dont expect the stock pickups to be much, so im looking for an upgrade.

Bridge - I was thinking either a Tone Zone or Super Distortion. I'll be playing a mix of classic rock, metal, and instrumental (Think Boston, Paul Gilbert, Metallica).

Neck - A stacked humbucker, possibly an Air Norton S or Chopper? I'll be using it for creamy solos and smoother sounding chords for my less harsh genres.

What do you guys think? I have somewhat of an idea for the bridge pickup (Tone Zone/Super Dist.), but im lost for the neck pup.
I would go with the super disortion in the bridge and the Air norton in the neck. That would be a killer combo!!
I didnt know there was an S version of it

I know the air norton sounds amazing in the neck though
you don't expect much... but what if it surprises you?

pick it up and play it till you hate it. thats when you look for some upgrades.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
you don't expect much... but what if it surprises you?

pick it up and play it till you hate it. thats when you look for some upgrades.
Maybe the bridge pickup may surprise me, but i'm looking for a hum-less neck pickup.
^Tom Scholz of Boston uses super distortions... or was it Neal Schon...?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by forsaknazrael
The Super Distortion would do Gilbert okay, but not so much for Metallica or Boston, IMO..

What would be a good Dimarzio/SD pickups that would cover stuff like that? Maybe not so much Metallica, but a lot of hard rock type stuff.
Hmmm..... I know a dude with a 70's gibby les paul custom and hes got a super distortion in the bridge and with the right amp it gets great metal tone. but this is a strat......
Quote by thefitz
Interesting. It turns out that there are people on the forum who play an upright bass. I'll make a note of that.

*makes note*

*puts note on wall*

*stares at note for a minute*

*sits back down and resumes doing what I was doing*
Would the Tone Zone be better suited for what im lookin' to play? It was my other main choice.
Actually, what are some good Seymour Duncan options? I may look at Hot Rails for a neck pup.
Quote by forsaknazrael
^Well, I did suggest the SH-11....

Does he? I don't know, I don't think of Boston when I think of the Super Distortion. Super Distortion is more 80's metal than anything.

80's is kind of boston. boston's tom scholz's sound is best described as a bass cut + lots of mids, sounds like a JCM800. and 80's metal/hair metal??? JCM800.

iono. 80s metal/rock sound to me is straight up marshall + humbucker. picture scorpions, van halen, GNR (not particularly slash, but izzy's rhythm), sort of Aerosmith.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Just checked out SD's audio samples, compared a few models. The SH-11 Custom Custom sounded nice, had more bite and sounded thicker than the Custom 5.

That plus a hot rail in the neck sounds mighty fine right about now.
hot rail in the neck for smooth solos??? no!!!

get something with an alnico II magnet.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
^^Well, I did suggest the SH-11...

^I agree, the Hot Rails would be bad.

Quote by PunkRocker33133
Hmmm..... I know a dude with a 70's gibby les paul custom and hes got a super distortion in the bridge and with the right amp it gets great metal tone. but this is a strat......

Eh, I think the Super Distortion is a bit fizzy, but not in a bad way - just in an 80's metal way.

Quote by ECistheBest
80's is kind of boston. boston's tom scholz's sound is best described as a bass cut + lots of mids, sounds like a JCM800. and 80's metal/hair metal??? JCM800.

iono. 80s metal/rock sound to me is straight up marshall + humbucker. picture scorpions, van halen, GNR (not particularly slash, but izzy's rhythm), sort of Aerosmith.

I'd have to listen to Boston more...But I dunno, I think of the latter bands you mentioned, when I think of the Super Distortion...
Well when I say smooth, I think "hard rock" or "metal" smooth. It's kinda hard to explain. Something good with gain, but with that "solo" sound.
Quote by forsaknazrael
I'd have to listen to Boston more...But I dunno, I think of the latter bands you mentioned, when I think of the Super Distortion...

Boston is similar sound. JCM800 + Les Paul Bridge + banging chords = late 70s/early 80s.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Yeah Boston definitely has the Marshall/LP sound, late 70's/80's type of stuff.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=OoM61BSq0Lo

This video, the guy has a Super Distortion and the Air Norton. His work with the Air Norton sounds pretty good, the "solo" sound im trying to explain is at the 58/59 second mark, it's the sound of a neck pickup when you bend a note.

The Super Distortion sounds pretty good IMO, i'm gonna find some heavier music played on it...