so my g-string popped today... i changed strings about 1-2 months ago because the same thing happened.... ive been changing tuning back and forth and thats what i contributed to the string popping... but here's the thing... why would my g-sting (that's wound) pop instead of my high e or my b??? its pops up near the tuning peg but not right at it.. it pops between the nut and the tuning peg.. why would it be doing this??
If its at the very bottom right out of the nut where it makes contact with the guitar there may be a piece there that it damaging that string.
my best guess: when u wanna break a paper clip, what do u do? bending it back and forth till it breaks. ur constant retuning is like bending it where its going around the tuner back and forth, then pop. thats my best guess, idk.
Quote by OkiePlayer
If its at the very bottom right out of the nut where it makes contact with the guitar there may be a piece there that it damaging that string.

its close to the tuning peg, not the nut.. and i dont see anything at the nut could be damaging the string
g strings seem to be the ones that break most often for me too. I can tune down a half or full step and back up without any problems, but I don't try to tune it up any higher than g (especially on my acoustic) because it seems like its way too much tension.
Quote by MjX_05
g strings seem to be the ones that break most often for me too. I can tune down a half or full step and back up without any problems, but I don't try to tune it up any higher than g (especially on my acoustic) because it seems like its way too much tension.

but the thing is is that it breaks when im tuning up or down from half or whole step... it popped one time when i was tuning down
Thats what they make resume's for. So you can afford to change strings more often. Seriously, a pack of martins costs like....7 or 8 bucks.
or get like 50sets for 90bucks
http://www.stringthis.com/

i think the G string has the most tension on it. I might just go look that up actually.
yep, the and D stirngs both have 30kg of tnesion on them, more than the other strings.
http://www.daddario.com/DADProdDetail.aspx?CodaID=583&ID=2&Class=ABPA
obviously the g string is weaker than the d so thats why it breaks alot.
and if its near the tuning peg and its when you tune down well yeah thats what happens, that part of the string has spent its whole life wound around a peg (not as much pressure as its more evenly distributed over the string on the peg) then you tune down and that part of string has to straighten itself out and has a whole lot of pressure on it. equals badness and breakages