decided to go to my school's guitar club today, been playing for about 5 months, the most difficult thing I can play is possibly eruption (not full speed at some parts) and comfortably numb by pink floyd.

anyways, walked in there today and everybody had like OMFG WTF skillz and I asked em how long they've been playing and they were like "about 2 years" is that normal for playing two years? I feel like I'll never be that good... Then all of a sudden this one guy starts this crazy insane tapping solo that he made up right on the spot and I was like WTF???!!?!?!?

So bottom line is, I'm self taught mostly from the internet, and I thought I was fairly good until I went to the guitar club. so, question; If I take lessons, might I be that good in 2 years time or no? I play about 3- 4 hours a day.
If thats what you want to do then by all means take lessons. Some people just learn at different paces then others. Plus that guy must know his fretboard pretty dang well if what you say is true.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
I've been playing for nine months and I'm able to keep up with Necrophagist and Nevermore without breaking a sweat, and I am completely self taught. It's all about how much input you put in, it doesn't matter whether you have 10 teachers or not.
If you keep playing 3-4 hours a day and continue learning new things you'll probably be at that level too in 2 years
Satan isn't inside a guitar pick. He's in here. In our hearts. He's what makes us not want to go to work, or excercise or tell the truth. He's that little voice in your mind that says "Fuck you" to the people you hate.
yes.

tapping isnt insane man seriously, a bunch a sweeps would probably be impressive but a person who taps to show off basically doesn't know how to shred.

And yes get lessons, and in a years time you'll be heading to where u wanna be
Don't get me wrong, I love the guitar, I can't ever put it down. but just playng with these guys frustrates the hell out of me because I can't keep up... It's fun sometimes when they play slower songs but still its crazy when they start playing at like 9,123,443,764,903,123 BPM
speed isnt everything.
Quote by csn00b
I hate seeing cute girls topless and what not, it just feels wrong.
Well, I'd say start practicing more not just songs but basic theory as well as fret board knowledge and so forth.

I for one basically can't Tap but I prefer to use picking all around anyways.
Yeah, you'll be that good. All you have to do is KEEP IT UP. Somewhere in the first year of guitar playing there is a huge leap from sucking to being coherent to even owning if you keep at it. You'll notice it. Two years is a big difference from five months guitar-wise.
EDIT:
Don't get me wrong, I love the guitar, I can't ever put it down. but just playing with these guys frustrates the hell out of me
Those are good feelings to have.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Last edited by jthm_guitarist at Nov 28, 2007,
Tapping is one of those things that looks cool as hell but can actually be pretty simple.
86% of the people who frequent the "Electric Guitar" forum would say that they have played guitar for under 5 years.
He probably didn't make it up on the spot, either. Many people tell me they've just made something up there and then when I know for a fact they've played it before.
You should keep in mind that it's not how much time you spend practicing is how you practice.

Anyway, if you want to, go for it.
Quote by Grimpenguin
decided to go to my school's guitar club today, been playing for about 5 months, the most difficult thing I can play is possibly eruption (not full speed at some parts) and comfortably numb by pink floyd.

anyways, walked in there today and everybody had like OMFG WTF skillz and I asked em how long they've been playing and they were like "about 2 years" is that normal for playing two years? I feel like I'll never be that good... Then all of a sudden this one guy starts this crazy insane tapping solo that he made up right on the spot and I was like WTF???!!?!?!?

So bottom line is, I'm self taught mostly from the internet, and I thought I was fairly good until I went to the guitar club. so, question; If I take lessons, might I be that good in 2 years time or no? I play about 3- 4 hours a day.

Well you said yourself that you were playing for 5 months,and they for 2 years.There is a small chance that you will better then them.Also,you will be much better in 1,5 year if you practise,maybe even better then them,maybe worse,but certianly better then you are now.I have played for 6 months and I also am frustrated sometimes when I see someone shredding the **** out of guitar,and thinking that I'll never be like that,but I also thought that I won't be able to play staff that I play now 3 months ago,so don't underetimate yourself .
Current situation:
Proud owner of Jackson JS30RR and Roland Cube 30X
a teacher will help...but its expensive...practice is the main thing...and remember

somebody is always gonna be better...its not a competition...maybe youll be the best in your guitar club but every single kid at music college could woop you...

just keep playing and you will eventually get there
5 months is nothing, you've barely started with the thing - just try to spend less time worrying about what you don't know and instead concentrate on perfecting what you do know...there's an awful lot to learn and with the best will in the world you can't learn it all at once.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Use the situation for inspiration, don't be embarased like has been said big difference between 5 months and 2 years and given the fact that young minds tend to take in information quicker I would say that if you keep going to the guitar club you will start hitting off the other players. Remember, just because they are so much better than you now dosn't mean you won't get to their level of ability, everyone has to start somewhere even the best in the world were beginers once.
I wish I had tallent and ability.

Squier Vintage Modified Strat, Black with laquered 70s neck
Farida FLP-26
Vox VT20+
Ampkit for iPod
Jamvox (not impressed)
Just my two cents (basically what all the above have said) but...

...guitar clubs have that quite unfortunate 'thing' about them where it becomes a competition but just chill in there! let them do what they do.
Everybody has different strengths also... don't let one show off kids ego trip spoil your enthusiasm for the instrument.
Do do theory as well - understanding what your playing etc will help with your progress and benefit later down the line ( esp after you've burnt that tappers a$$) + have you thought of using instructional books/DVD's? cs they can get you started/going quite nicely.
BASS
As you practice more, there will be periods in which you feel like you aren't getting better.

Just keep on going! You will earn moments in which, in an epiphany, you suddenly realize that you are playing much better than before. These realizations don't come regularly, but will dawn on you suddenly after a lot of hard work.
You have to remember one thing: No matter how good you are at something, there are always a million people better than you.
You can't get better if you don't play with people who are better than you.
Epiphone G400 Cherry
Ibanez GSA60 Jewel Blue
Jasmine S35
Squire Affinity Strat
Roland Micro Cube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Original Cry Baby

Ibanez GSR200FM
I've had many big self esteem drops over the years. The biggest one was when I went to the 2007 Berklee Summer Guitar Sessions, which was a week long stay over.

I felt absolutely floored by just about everyone there. I was afraid to go to the jams, couldn't really keep up with the classes they put me in, etc. I did make a cool friend from Texas who plays the blues and he got me into that.

But since then I've realized that you, and only you, are ultimately in charge of how well you perform on the instrument. You have a guitar, you have the freewill to play it and practice it. Skills will develop with the proper time and attention paid off by practicing cleanly, slowly, relaxed.

Also, always know theres always someone above you and below you in technique and speed. Theres a balance there, never get an ego that you rip harder then the pros and never feel like a dead deer could match your chops.

Love music, love your guitar, and you'll go places.
"Don't panic, everything is falling neatly out of order"
- Douglas Adams
5 months vs 24 months... look at how long those kids have been playing. Just keep at it and be dedicated, youll get bette rand better. Don't feel intimidated... instead, try to learn from those who know more than you and hang aroudn them, it could do you a lot of good. But no reason to feel bad or anything, im sure they were just like you at one point.
If you practice for 4 hours a day you should be able to be that good, as long as your practice is somewhat effective, like practicing stuff you need to focus on. Zakk once said in an interview i read "Anyone can learn anything, idc who you are, if you dedicate yourself and practice it you can play anything." or something like that, but that's what he meant.
The way you put it in your original post it makes me think you are being harassed. I went through the same thing you did but I stayed in the guitar club. While I didn't learn much (I hate to say it) it was an experience.
I don't really know what to say to you, I guess you just need to find some inspiration. You've only been playing for 5 months, so your not meant to be that good by now, but you WILL get better. Just keep practicing, you'll see that your improving eventually
It honestly depends on your perception of 'good'. In reality, your mates that are SO MUCH BETTER THAN YOU could suck just as bad as you think you do. You just might not know enough to know the difference.

Consider the possibility.
Quote by Don_Humpador
He probably didn't make it up on the spot, either. Many people tell me they've just made something up there and then when I know for a fact they've played it before.

well making it up on the spot is different then chopping a song up and rearagning the parts... which is probably what he did... thats how i learned to get good at improvising... i would take a chord progression and chop it to peices and put it back together... and GP just keep at it.. i've been playing for 6 years and it only gets harder the more you start to slack! im changing my major from medicine to music to pursue my guitar so keep at it bud you'll get better!
heavy support of A7X army pm Copius
Quote by spl3001
I think we can all really agree that nothing is more metal than playing a Telecaster....On fire.

Quote by GiantRaven
The rest of the album is brilliant but that one song just really gets right on my tits for some reason