Ok guys here's the story.

I've been playing guitar for close to 3 years now. I currently own an Ibanez Studio guitar which was given to me, and got me into playing guitar. I played it for about 1 year, and decided that I wanted to get a new one (the Studio was in very rough shape).

I went out and bought an Ibanez "Iceman" IC400. I have been playing this guitar for about 2 years now and I absolutely love the heavy sound it gives me. However, pinch harmonic responses are not as great and the action is nothing special. I've set it up now so that I get no fret buzz at all, and it's really a great guitar but I want to upgrade now.

Here's where you come into the picture.

I've been looking at Les Pauls. The Les Paul Standard is currently #1 on my list, but it obviously comes with a hefty price tag. I don't mind paying a lot for a quality guitar, as long as I know it will be worth it. However, reading some reviews online has made me 2nd guess this guitar, as a lot of people seem to have problems with the nuts, or loose pieces inside the body, etc. Many people say that these guitars are not worth the price.

Like I said money is not the problem. But I wouldn't want to spend more than $2000. I personally do not mind if it comes with a whammy, as I would rather not have to deal with the headache of changing the strings with a trem.. I don't have a need for a whammy bar. Basically, I am looking for something that's easy to play. Easy to bend, easy to make squeal.. you know the works.

So I congratulate you on getting all the way to the end if you did. Now you can offer some advice

thanks
I would check out the PRS SE series. You can find them at any Guitar Center, and they run from $500-$800. They play beautifully, look nice, and are very versatile. Definitally worth a look. Why spend $2000 if you don't have to?
Quote by the.spine.surfs
I would check out the PRS SE series. You can find them at any Guitar Center, and they run from $500-$800. They play beautifully, look nice, and are very versatile. Definitally worth a look. Why spend $2000 if you don't have to?

I love everything about you, the.spine.surfs. I was about to say that. I have the SE Custom, and it is amazing. If you don't want the whammy, I would recommend the stoptail version so you can downtune if you want to.
Buy it. Now.
Michael
/agree

I have a Soapbar II and it rocks my world. Most responsive guitar in its price range, period.
You can get a custom made Carvin for around $1000, depending on the features you choose. New Gibson LPs are a ripoff, they pale in comparison to Gibbys made even 10 years ago, and Gibson's quality control is rather iffy.

Link www.carvin.com

PinkEdit: Also, the mandatory question around these here parts, what amp do you have?
Quote by which ones pink
New Gibson LPs are a ripoff, they pale in comparison to Gibbys made even 10 years ago

yep, lp studios from roughly '88-'94 really play superbly in comparison to the current les paul studios, the playability is like a night and day difference

though if you play around with a few you will find a good one
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
Hmm thanks for the advice guys, I'll be looking into these suggestions.

Has anyone tried a Les Paul Studio? Would you recommend it?
EDIT: lol, just saw the previous post For some reason, the LPs are appealing to me and they were my first choice. Now I guess it's back to the drawing board. Why did Gibson drop their quality?

Pink: I currently use a Fender Champion 30 DSP amp.
Quote by shadow21x
Hmm thanks for the advice guys, I'll be looking into these suggestions.

Has anyone tried a Les Paul Studio? Would you recommend it?

Pink: I currently use a Fender Champion 30 DSP amp.

i own one made in 1993 and i think it plays better than alot of the higer end ones in places like guitar center and stuff... notice i didnt say all the higher end ones lol
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
Which Ones Pink has a great idea, check out ordering a custom Carvin. I completly forget about Carvin, which is strange, as I dream of ordering a DC someday.

Quote by FRDesign
Why would you suggest a PRS SE, when he has a $2000 price limit...

Because having $2000 dosn't mean he has to spend $2000. The non-SE models, in my experience, are not worth quadruple the cost. Then again, I'd almost always take a MIM (or CIJ!) Strat over a MIA, and I'll probably never own a Gibson, because most of their cost seems to stem from being made in America, and the logo.
Quote by the.spine.surfs

Because having $2000 dosn't mean he has to spend $2000.

Correct
Best value is the most important thing here.
Heritage Guitars

Made in the old Kalamazoo Gibson factory ever since they abandoned their hometown for Nashville. These are essentially on par with the best Gibsons and far more consistent; however, they're roughly equal, if not slightly higher, in price.
Just because you want a LP doesn't mean it has to be Gibson.

Epiphone Elitist LP > Gibson Studios, and some Standards.

But +1 to the higher end PRS or Carvin.