ok so i know im way far behind when i say this but i dont really know much about led zeppelin. Ive heard stair way to heaven and yea i do know a lil bit about their story but the other day some lady came up and asked me if i was playing the song No Quarter. I had never heard of it so i looked it up and its really kool and i found a few others (you really shook me and bring it on home) and im a blues player. My problem with them is that they apparently played a huge part in bringing in what is now metal...but then again so did cream and god know i love cream.

My question is, how much of their stuff is heavy and how much of their stuff is like stairway and no quarter and how much of it is blues. Jimmy page can really play some blues...
None of it is heavy in the terms of metal, just hard classic rock, if that means anything to you.
Since I've Been Loving You is one of their bluesiest songs and one of my favorites.

Most of their stuff isn't very metal-ish per-se, but it's very riff based which later progressed to metal. As for what I can recommend: Black Dog, Achilles Last Stand, I Can't Quit You Babe (very bluesy), Dazed and Confused, Heartbreaker, In My Time of Dying, When the Levee Breaks (also bluesy).

They're the reason I started playing guitar. I can't recommend them enough. Seriously. I don't like metal but I looooooove them.
"Let's not be too rough on our own ignorance. I mean, after all, it's the thing that makes America great." - Frank Zappa while on the Arsenio Hall Show

Quote by vintage x metal
On a side note, TS, love the username. I'd kill to be under you.
Quote by cloud_x_13
ok so i know im way far behind when i say this but i dont really know much about led zeppelin. Ive heard stair way to heaven and yea i do know a lil bit about their story but the other day some lady came up and asked me if i was playing the song No Quarter. I had never heard of it so i looked it up and its really kool and i found a few others (you really shook me and bring it on home) and im a blues player. My problem with them is that they apparently played a huge part in bringing in what is now metal...but then again so did cream and god know i love cream.

My question is, how much of their stuff is heavy and how much of their stuff is like stairway and no quarter and how much of it is blues. Jimmy page can really play some blues...

most of their stuff is like that, especially their later stuff. Physical graffiti is a good start.
Yeahh most of Led Zeppelin's blues is regurgitated black people blues.
Oh dear god, I dont feel alive.
I have a new blog, of the interesting type.

In so far i have seen,

1. The Darkness
2. Wolfmother
3. The Grates
4. Faker
5. Kings of Leon
6. Coheed and Cambria
7. Architecture in Helsinki

and counting.
Quote by Thebridge
Since I've Been Loving You is one of their bluesiest songs and one of my favorites.

Most of their stuff isn't very metal-ish per-se, but it's very riff based which later progressed to metal. As for what I can recommend: Black Dog, Achilles Last Stand, I Can't Quit You Babe (very bluesy), Dazed and Confused, Heartbreaker, In My Time of Dying, When the Levee Breaks (also bluesy).

They're the reason I started playing guitar. I can't recommend them enough. Seriously. I don't like metal but I looooooove them.

sweet...im gonna get their complete collection boxed set but i dont wanna get it and end up with 4 or 5 songs i like and have serious problems even trying to listen to the rest. Bring it on home really surprised me...the harmonica and everything and even when they put it into high gear it was still really good...
Yeah most of Zep's stuff is "Heavy" in terms of rock, not metal. but they have a lot of really awesome acoustic/folk style songs. some of my favourites are Your Time is Gonna Come, Tangerine, Down By The Seaside and Hey Hey What can I Do. in terms of No Quarter as you mentioned before thats quite a good riffed based song withe heavy fuzz but it also branches into prog with synthesizers and the mellotron.
man Bring It On Home is the BEST! all Led Zeppelin II is! check out The Immigrant Song too, if you want another metal-ish song. I personally don't see how Zep were precursors to metal except for maybe their lifestyle and stage performance/presence. And I hate people that talk crap on them. If you want blues also try out Hats Off to (Roy) Harper (ACOUSTIC)
Keep the change, pimps don't jangle
Yeah Houses of the Holy and Physical Graffiti are good in terms of a bit of heavier more interesting music and I, II , III have the nice bluesy nice in them.
IV's a classic as well. You cant really go wrong buying the whole box set
Oh dear god, I dont feel alive.
I have a new blog, of the interesting type.

In so far i have seen,

1. The Darkness
2. Wolfmother
3. The Grates
4. Faker
5. Kings of Leon
6. Coheed and Cambria
7. Architecture in Helsinki

and counting.
Houses of the Holy might be my favorite album of theirs. Check it out:

No Quarter
The Ocean
The Song Remains the Same (of my favorites)
Over the Hills and Far Away (another favorite)
The Crunge
Dancing Days (meh)
The Rain Song (VERY good)
etc.

Check out their entire catalogue, except for In Through the Out Door, which I don't like that much at all.
"Let's not be too rough on our own ignorance. I mean, after all, it's the thing that makes America great." - Frank Zappa while on the Arsenio Hall Show

Quote by vintage x metal
Yeah, if you like Bring it On Home, you can't go wrong with the first 5 albums (I, II, III, IV, and Houses of the Holy). The others are a lot heavier and have a different sound I think, but Physical Graffitti is definitely worth checking out. The Rover off that album is one of their most underrated songs I think.

Go for the box set if it's not that expensive. If it is, just get Mothership, their new compilation CD. It has all the classics.

Quote by vintage x metal
Quote by DaveGilmour1189
most of their stuff is like that, especially their later stuff. Physical graffiti is a good start.

why does everyone like physical graffiti so much??

i dont get it. its one of my least favorite albums of theirs.

i personally enjoyed led zeppelin I & IV the most.
on topic, look at since ive been loving you, what is and what should never be, and i cant quit you baby.

led zeppelin was essentially a folk band though. the majority of their music consisted of catchy acoustic tunes and stuff along the lines of that. the other portion of their music was heavier classic rock. they often had the habit of starting off soft-ish and progressing into something much harder, like in stairway or over the hills and far away.
Quote by nt1440
thats true, i hate kids who go "oh noess limewire is soo bad, viruses everywhere crashed my computer, had to buy a new one" well mayb thatll teach u that the a song isnt 112 kb and named cute_teen_has_orgasm_on_webcam_xxx
Quote by imnotastoner
why does everyone like physical graffiti so much??

i dont get it. its one of my least favorite albums of theirs.

i personally enjoyed led zeppelin I & IV the most.
on topic, look at since ive been loving you, what is and what should never be, and i cant quit you baby.

led zeppelin was essentially a folk band though. the majority of their music consisted of catchy acoustic tunes and stuff along the lines of that. the other portion of their music was heavier classic rock. they often had the habit of starting off soft-ish and progressing into something much harder, like in stairway or over the hills and far away.

wrong, They considered themselves Blues-Rock musicians, that being said they do have a folk influence the reason they aren't "essentially a folk band" is because only about half their songs were acoustic, and an even fewer number of them were folk-inspired

And how can you not like physical graffiti?

and this is still the wrong place for this thread
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
Your correct in a way, they we're the first people to really turn blues into rock, however it wasn't very long before other bands joined suit.

There's a lot of people that say that If Led Zepp never happened music would be very different today but I'm not sure.

In the nearly 30 years since they disbanded obviously metal we have now sounds nothing like it because over the years bands have added more n more styles etc.

They we're a massive influence on the music of the day and turned up the generally acceptable volume of the time.

In my view they contributed a lot and are the most kick ass band ever. Jimmy Page certainly has a lot to answer for (he produced all the music as well as being the guitarist).

If I could meet any band it would be Led Zeppelin 100%
I have awesome hair