When I first started playing guitar about three weeks ago or so I was completely overwhelmed because I thought there were about a million different things to learn and then about a million other things within these things that I needed to learn to be able to achieve my goal of starting a metal band.

So to break it all down in a very simple manner, all a guitarist really needs to learn is:

- Notes

- Chords

- Scales

- Strumming

- Legato

Of course it will take years to get really good at these things, but these are the only real "main" categories and everything else is a sub-division of these main categories. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

All I need to know is the main categories and I will be happy and practice efficiently because I crave simplicity and as long as I know all of the main categories I can focus on a little bit of each everyday instead of always worrying about some missing piece of the puzzle.

I look at life the same way:

There are really only three categories in life and everything else is a sub-division with in one of these categories and those categories are:

- Health

- Wealth

- Love

(I read this health, wealth, and love thing in a book and it has stuck with me ever since).

Anyways, I want to thank you all in advance!

edit:

Oh, and I know this might seem like a strange thing to ask, but it will make me sleep much better at night! (serious)
Last edited by NocturnalOats at Nov 29, 2007,
Quote by NocturnalOats
When I first started playing guitar about three weeks ago or so I was completely overwhelmed because I thought there were about a million different things to learn and then about a million other things within these things that I needed to learn to be able to achieve my goal of starting a metal band.

So to break it all down in a very simple manner, all a guitarist really needs to learn is:

- Notes

- Chords

- Scales

- Strumming

- Legato

And...

- Even rhythm, timing

- Intervals

- Modes

- Alternate Picking, Economy Picking, String Skipping

and maybe Tapping, Chord progressions, and a lot more.
Yeah there's heaps more catagories that need to be taken into consideration. As Delanoir stated.
er u forgot all the diff types of harmonics
Quote by darkstar2466
Leniency? In the metal forum? This is unheard of. People get massacred here for just walking by.
Meh, just start doing what you say youre gunna do. Then you'll discover different things, practice them, keep on discovering things, etc.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
There are many more things to learn man. Im self taught so i dont know much theory like scales or notes but i can still play really well so those aren't 100% necessary although it will help. You also have to learn picking techniques like alternate or sweep picking, palm muting, many different harmonics. Theres alot more to guitar than you think.
The Set Up
1- Bc.Rich Nj Series Best w/Emgs
2-Ibanez v-blade, custom snakeskin
3-Fender Stratocaster
4-1986 Charvel Model 5
///
MXR Phase 90
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Dunlop crybaby original
just things off the top of my head... strumming, finger picking, slapping, chords. scales, notes, alternate picking, economy picking, sweep picking, right hand tapping, two hand tapping, sweep+tapping, plectrum tapping, pinch harmonics, artificial harmonics, song writing, improvisation, shredding, speed, slides, hammer on/pull off, vibrato, tremollo picking, bending, ... if i think hard enough i can keep going forever.

but the the main stuff falls under these bigger catagories, not in any particular order. (i may have missed some stuff though)

technique
speed
accuracy
song writing
improvisation
quality

trust me kid, you may think you know alot now (or in a few months), but in 2 years time youll be like "well fock me look at all this ****e i know"

edit: and thats not going into theory, but dont worry, youll get all this down if you just keep practising consistantly.
Well if thats all you want to learn, then so be it. You're just limiting yourself.

I think you're approaching guitar in the wrong way. Everyone starts off somewhere and improves forever after. You don't suddenly reach a point where you've mastered the instrument completely, you are always learning and improving.
Listen to The Sounds Inside
John Frusciante