So I got my first guitar today. It isn't good or anything, but I didn't wanna spend too much if there was a chance I could give up eventually. I got a Monterey MGS-1 (Strat copy) in a pack. The amp that came with it was sold out, so they gave me a better one, for a bit more, (Randall RG25RXM).

My guitar has 3 single coil pick ups... the toggle thing on the guitar makes very little difference in sound...it just makes it sound a bit 'manlier' on some settings (it has 5). The tone dials also do very little at all, if anything.

Um, the neck is maple, and the body is alder, not sure if this really matters, but yeah, thought I'd add that in.

My amp has two sockets on the front. One says high, the other says low..they both seem to work the same to me, is there actually a difference?

It also has two channels. They are basically the same but channel 2 has overdrive (which I worked out was a weak(ish) distortion. Is there any other difference I am overlooking?

I don't really know what the equalisation settings do yet. Treble, middle and bass they are, should I fiddle with them? What do they change? And also what about the reverb dial? What does that really do?

And yeah, you guys probably think that the guitar isn't that good, but I don't mind :P. I can always upgrade in time.

I am having a blast playing it, too, though I haven't played much. I learned the intro bit to Hells Bells, and have been learning chords. What are some other pretty easy songs to get me started?
Play with your amp constantly until you find differant sounds that you like. All I can say is good luck and practice.

It dosn't matter if you don't have a good guitar, you arn't a good guitarist (yet)
It would be worse if you went and spent a load of money you maybe don't have on an amazing guitar and have no skills whatsoever, people do that and it's a waste of money. I think you done the right thing.
treble, middle, and bass control um... the treble, middle, and bass levels. turn middle and bass all the way down and treble all the way up, and it sounds like theres no middle range or low range..... turn everything down but the bass and it sounds like theres no middle or upper range... etc. "what does reverb do" is best explained by testing it out. basically it can make it sound as if youre playing in a box (no reverb) or in a huge concert hall (lots of reverb)... just play with the settings, your ear will adjust eventually.

*note that having a cheap guitar + amp, the settings may not work as well as you might think. as someone below me said, theyre probably mostly for decoration... id say 95% decoration, 5% non-usefulness.
Last edited by Guitar_Poet at Nov 29, 2007,
tone knobs should be up full,
and the selector switch down as far as it goes,
that way it uses your bride pickup (one closest to the bridge)
and in theory, will givve you stronger harmonics.

for a tone sort of like metallicas dist.
(on overdrive)
chuck bass up full (maxed to the right)
Mid on bass (maxed ot the left)
and treble on about 6-7 (about 25 degrees from north to your right) (if it isnt numbered)

that should give you a remotely decent tone.

chuck it in the high input as your pups would be ****e.
low is usually for active electronics. (you havnt got that)

reverb is liturally an eho. chuck it up full on clean and hit a note, you should be able to hear what it does. depending on how strong it is, chuck it on about.. 2-3 bit thats really upto you.

having it makes it sound a bit less harsh.

umm songs...

depends on waht you like playing.
sweet child o mine would be intersting learnign the intro.
would definately get thoes fingers moving.

i learn REALLY fast by getting a song that is way to hard, and hammering at it.

if i play something that i am cumftuable playing, i get no where.

as a begining guide.

ALWAYS alernate pick.
it is REALLY hard to do when you start yes.
but is it a valuable thing to know, and is used dominantly though anything any guitarest plays.

so go on to the lessons here and loook at tecnique etc.

also playing basic picking patterns and running up scales (although VERY boring)
is worth doing for even a solid 10 min a day (or when ever),
jsut to get ya fingers loose.

also look into learning chords when you get bored.
and make sure you finger power chords properly!
(first finger on the lowest string (the thickest, as im talking in pitch)
then use your 3rd and 4th fingers on the higher 2 strings.
it makes me sick seeing people that doesnt do this properly.
it gets you no where.

AND USE YOUR PINKY!

it seems hopless in the begining, but is invaluable.
(also makes you look cooler using all your fingers rather than 2)

hope this isnt too confusing and gets you onto the right path.
*thumbs up*
*Enter Sig Here*
keep learning acdc stuff if your into it. the solos are harder than i originally thought they would be because some of the bends were difficult to get exact (in back in black) but eventually you get them and it sounds good.

treble middle and bass are to change the tone of your guitar somewhat, eg if you turn all of them to 6 (imagining you have a 10 way thing on the amp) then thats the angues sound more or less but you will need a lot of overdrive as well.

reverb makes it sound like your playing in an empty concert hall (which i like) and adds a bit of depth to thin sounding guitars. give it a go, if you like it great, if you dont, no problems caused.

and on 5 way swtiches on cheaper guitars they very rarely do much of anything. apparently its because of cheap electrics. whether thats true or not i dont know, all i know is that i had a squier and if i had the tone fully on, it sounded exactly the same as if i had it on 0. i think it might just have been there for decoration.

but yeah, with the rest of it, good luck with your guitar
The "high" and "low" inputs are for guitars with high and low output pickups respectively. Your singlecoils would have a pretty low otput, so use the one that says "low" (although there aren't to much of a difference).

Your pickup selector switches between neck pickup, neck+middle, middle, middle+bridge, and bridge. There is a difference between them, but I guess it can sound quite subtle when your ear is new to this kind of thing.

If you want to experiment with the settings, you should have a look at the "Ultimate Settings Thread" that is stickied in the Guitar Gear & Accessories forum. It has a lot of suggested settings for famous players' tones, which should help you get started. Just don't expect to sound like the originals, you won't with your gear. That being said, I'm sure it's a perfectly fine starter package, and you can always upgrade your gear when you feel like you've outgrown it.

Good luck with your career as a guitarist!
Quote by kyrreca
The "high" and "low" inputs are for guitars with high and low output pickups respectively. Your singlecoils would have a pretty low otput, so use the one that says "low" (although there aren't to much of a difference).

Are you sure??

it makes sence, but my mate has to play through low with his bass.
his bass is full active and sounds dodge if played through high (the tone distorts in a bad way)
*Enter Sig Here*
Phil 69907: I have one of those amps too, but a different brand, apparently it's an "open source" schematic (sorta) used by different companies. I may give you a word of advice about how to set it up:

First of, the "Clean" an "OD" channel...I use it on clean, I can't stand the distorted channel (wrongly labeled as "OD"), because it has no controls whatsoever, other than the little switch that turns the distortion on/off. If you can get a cheap distortion pedal (Behringer maybe, they're good for beginners) you can model the tone much easier.

About the EQ, you can use it at your own free will, pay attention to the mid/bass knobs, provided you got single coils, these should help you raise those frequencies.

And lastly, about the Reverb, I agree with Hale_91. it gives some "dimension" to your sound, that is, it sounds less flat (as in a sheet of paper, not the pitch changes), but do not exceed 2-4. Otherwise, it will sound like a tin can.
Quote by Hale_91
Are you sure??

it makes sence, but my mate has to play through low with his bass.
his bass is full active and sounds dodge if played through high (the tone distorts in a bad way)

I don't know that particular amp, but it's been like that on all amps I've played with two inputs.
Quote by My amp's user manual
Lo
The Lo jack is a high-sensitivity input that matches low output pickups to the Combo preamplifier for best gain. If high output pickups are used in the Lo jack, it will be much easier to overdrive the preamp for harmonic distortion.

Hi
The Hi jack is a low-sensitivity input that attenuates the instrument signal to increase headroom, which makes it easier to play with less preamp distortion, even with high-output pickups.
ahh ok, well.

we will find out.

typically the one on the left if +15 compared to -15 on the right i think..

ive seen an amp with it marked.
*Enter Sig Here*