Ok, I'll keep it short:

I need two contrasting Jazz guitar pieces to play for a college audition.
What exactly do they mean by contrasting, I'm not entirely sure about it, (maybe a soft/slow piece and a more lively, faster-paced one???) what do you guys think?
I'm an intermediate but not quite advanced guitarist. I need suggestions as for what pieces to perform. I already searched for that here and found nothing useful. Stay on topic please.
id goe with like a fusion piece like mahavishnu orchestra and a smooth jazz piece ELevator music) but the really cool kind
Two contrasting pieces usually means a ballad and a swing tune. How familiar are you with jazz?
Quote by stuey222
Two contrasting pieces usually means a ballad and a swing tune. How familiar are you with jazz?

Not very to be honest.
ok, I'll give a look at my fake books and pull a few I think would be good for an audition. What college are you audition for, if I may ask?
Quote by TrasherFromHell
Florida's Broward Community College, but i wish i could go to Berkley, too expensive for me though

You can learn plenty from your community college. It sounds more impressive to tell people you go to Berkely, but dont let that bother you or mislead you. I know guys that went to Berkely that are awesome, but I know other guys that are just as good, that didnt.

Generally if you were trying out for a university jazz program, they would expect that you are familiar with jazz, and listen to it often. I would suggest spending some time getting yourself familiar with the genre.

as far as contrasting peices. As already mentioned a ballad, and an uptempo (or even medium) swing should be appropriate. Or maybe a latin and a swing tune.
Well, i had to choose either Jazz or Classical for my major and i feel my playing is more realted to Jazz than classical, so i had to go for that.

I appreciate the responses but i would like to get specific suggestions such as what pieces could be appropiate for the audition.
i've read that for people who plan on really getting into jazz, being able to improvise over Coltrane's "Giant Steps" is a must. Maybe try that? I remember seeing a topic a few months ago about that, and some people went really indepth with it. I'm sure you could find it way in the back pages.

edit:

Here it is. Don't feel bad if some of it goes over my head, it definitely did with me. I'm sure if you really apply yourself to it you'll be able to understand it though.
Quote by Spamwise
i've read that for people who plan on really getting into jazz, being able to improvise over Coltrane's "Giant Steps" is a must. Maybe try that? I remember seeing a topic a few months ago about that, and some people went really indepth with it. I'm sure you could find it way in the back pages.

edit:

Here it is. Don't feel bad if some of it goes over my head, it definitely did with me. I'm sure if you really apply yourself to it you'll be able to understand it though.

Giant steps is a very difficult song to solo over. If you go in trying to play that you may look foolish. Giant Steps is a great way to prove yourself as an acomplished Jazz Player..... your just going in for an audition. I would go for something more realistic. here are some suggestions:

Autumn Leaves
Blue Bossa
Tune Up
Stella By Starlight
Days of Wine & Roses
Lady Bird
How High the Moon
Quote by GuitarMunky
Giant steps is a very difficult song to solo over. If you go in trying to play that you may look foolish. Giant Steps is a great way to prove yourself as an acomplished Jazz Player..... your just going in for an audition. I would go for something more realistic. here are some suggestions:

Autumn Leaves
Blue Bossa
Tune Up
Stella By Starlight
Days of Wine & Roses
Lady Bird
How High the Moon

well the guy who posted that topic about it was going to audition with that song. I don't know how experienced of a player the topic starter is, and I also don't know how long he has to practice it. Like if the audition is next summer, then he probably wouldn't have much trouble getting at least a decent hold of it before then.
http://www.music.utoronto.ca/students/prospective/undergrad/BMus_ArtD/Requirements/Audition/audreqjazz/suggestions.htm

^good list of suggested tunes

Start actively listening to as much jazz as you can now. It is very easy to tell when someone is trying to play the changes but doesn't know what jazz sounds like.

I really wouldn't suggest trying to play Giant Steps because you won't be able to play it well and they won't be impressed. Pick something you can play well - it shows maturity. Besides it's overrated as a difficult tune - I find Countdown way harder.

Interesting their list is missing many that are on other uni's ... Stella by Starlight, Round Midnight, Body and Soul, any blues ...
I'd go with a swing and a ballad off that list. Don't discount your community college or classical guitar. Classical will be very beneficial for your technique.
Try, I'll Be Flyin' Tonight by Wayne Hancock, or Lester Leaps In or Jam Blues from Bird for a faster, swingier piece. Anything off the Blues Miles disc is awesome.
Do not concentrate on the finger for you will miss all the heavenly glory.
Quote by stuey222
I'd go with a swing and a ballad off that list. Don't discount your community college or classical guitar. Classical will be very beneficial for your technique.

I know is not bad to go to a community college instead of a music school but i would prefer to go to one because i would be able to focus directly on music instead of having to take other classes that do not apply to my major, but i'm fine with it music is the same no matter where is being taught. Also i do want to learn classical but like i said, I had to choose what would be more related to my style, i do however plan on studying classical guitar at some point.

By the way, i see some of you asking, the audition is on January 8th of next year, and i'm an intermediate guitar player but just not quite advanced yet. However, I can learn a song fairly quick so just because i have only about a month until the audition doesn't mean I'll have to go with something simple, so keep posting more suggestions i'll check them out, and i haven't yet listened to the ones already suggested but just keep them coming anyways.
you will always have to take gen ed classes for a degree in anything
Trust me, there's many gen eds you have to take in college, I'm stuck in that right now. You have one or two music classes a semester until about your junior year. So you wouldn't be totally focusing on your music, even at a school like Berklee. Berklee's also not the only school for guitar performance, there are many others. If you want any more information, I can help you by giving you some more colleges that you could check out.
Well, i didn't know that at a music school you also had to take gen.ed classes. stuey222, i know there are other schools like Berklee and Musicians Institute, but i just wanted Berklee; i don't really care too much about it anymore as i know i can't go there anyways so i don't think about it now. Do you know of any schools in Florida that have good music programs? anyways right now i just need help with the audition.
I believe University of Miami has a good program. Pat Metheney used to teach there. I am in the jazz studies program at Virginia Commonwealth University and there is a lot of talent here in Richmond.
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
Miami does have a god jazz program. But what college you should go to all depends on what you are looking to do with your music. Are you looking to do straight jazz? rock? blues? country? How much money you can spend on college also plays a factor.

As for the audition, "Sweet Georgia Brown" is a really good swing tune to lock into. Nice and bluesy jazz. For the ballad, I'd probably go with something that you know and is really lyrical. "Georgia on my Mind" or "I Love You (For Sentimental Reasons)." Just some suggestions.