I'm usually really good with figuring out the modes to my songs, but there's one riff that has me in a knot.

D--4---------------------------------------------------------4--------------------------------2----
A--2-----2--4--5--4--2--0---5----2--4--5--4--2--0--2----2--4--5--4--2--0--5----0---4
E--------------------------------3-------------------------------------------------------3---------2

At first i thought it was B aeolian, because it has the same notes, and resolves on a B. The only problem is... this song doesn't sound like aeolian. And I figured since each mode has a certain sound, then it must be in a different mode, but I can't tell which.. My only other guess is G lydian. Can someone help me out?

And I'm sorry if the tab comes out wrong..
Quote by natedapunk
looks like a D ionian to me man

But it doesn't resolve on a D. The resolve is what's throwing me off.
it doesnt always have to resolve on the D to be a D i thought, just how one usually tells i thought? some one correct me if im wrong
Quote by Wolftone08
I'm usually really good with figuring out the modes to my songs, but there's one riff that has me in a knot.

D--4---------------------------------------------------------4--------------------------------2----
A--2-----2--4--5--4--2--0---5----2--4--5--4--2--0--2----2--4--5--4--2--0--5----0---4
E--------------------------------3-------------------------------------------------------3---------2

At first i thought it was B aeolian, because it has the same notes, and resolves on a B. The only problem is... this song doesn't sound like aeolian. And I figured since each mode has a certain sound, then it must be in a different mode, but I can't tell which.. My only other guess is G lydian. Can someone help me out?

And I'm sorry if the tab comes out wrong..

Your playing in B minor (aoleian)
what your playing is actually a very common B minor progression.

i VI i VI V
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Nov 29, 2007,
Quote by GuitarMunky
Your playing in B minor (aoleian)
what your playing is actually a very common B minor progression.
i VI i VI V

Um...isn't that i-VI-i-VI-VII-i in B minor

The V has no dominant function in minor. The most common minor progression is i-VI-VII-i and here we have it's variation
I am Žile, I'm from Serbia, and I like guitars... and beans of course...never underestimate well cooked beans!

Join Alternate tunings
TUNED OUT
Well first thing I'd do would be to work out the notes and then work out the key signature. So let's see what notes we've got.

B5(B,F#), B, C#, D, C#, B, A, G5(G,D), B, C#, D, C#, B, A, B5(B,F#), B, C#, D, C#, B, A, G5(G,D), A5(A,E) and you said it resolves on a B, so I'm assuming that last chord is supposed to be a B5 not an F#5.

So your key signature then is F# and C#, and it starts on B and ends on B, so I'd say B Aeolian. Just cause it doesn't sound Aeolian doesn't mean it's not Aeolian.
sig goes here
Quote by Skater901
Well first thing I'd do would be to work out the notes and then work out the key signature. So let's see what notes we've got.

B5(B,F#), B, C#, D, C#, B, A, G5(G,D), B, C#, D, C#, B, A, B5(B,F#), B, C#, D, C#, B, A, G5(G,D), A5(A,E) and you said it resolves on a B, so I'm assuming that last chord is supposed to be a B5 not an F#5.

So your key signature then is F# and C#, and it starts on B and ends on B, so I'd say B Aeolian. Just cause it doesn't sound Aeolian doesn't mean it's not Aeolian.

The last chord is an F#, but it's to complement the bass which does resolve on the B. And I just thought the point of modes was to convey a certain sound. Perhaps I am mistaken.
The notes fit with Bminor/Dmajor or any of their modes...
Note: Sorry if my grammar and/or vocabulary isn't very good, English is my 2nd language!

Quote by Resiliance
you show me yours and I'll show you mine!

If you're wondering where I've been gone, click here!
Well the phrasing of a riff has a lot to do with whether its considered a 'happy' or 'sad' riff... you can make a major mode sound sad, and a minor mode sound happy...