Hey everyone, I know it is everyone's favorite; another "what pickup should I choose?" thread.

Basically this is what I have now:

Epiphone Les Paul Classic
Roland Cube 30
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Digitech Whammy IV
Boss TU-2

I am looking to replace the pickups in my Les Paul and I think I have decided on a bridge pickup. I play a lot of punky/riffy/garage type of music (Think White Stripes to Ramones to Nirvana). I am not a great player and have only been playing for like a year but I am interested in changing up the pickups from the stock pickups.

I think I want a DiMarzio Super Distortion for the Bridge but I haven't completely decided what I want for the neck. I want something that is good for clean tones and maybe a little bit brighter if possible than what I have now.

I was also wondering if you guys suggest doing anything like replacing the pots or anything along those lines.

Thanks a lot.

This is the pickup for the bridge that I want; I think.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/DiMarzio-DP100-Super-Distortion-Pickup?sku=302000
the only reason you would need to replace your pots is to change the frequency (on the tone ones at least) so if you wanted a little more treble or a little less, other wise no and for the neck pickup the duncan sh-1 59 is nice
Quote by Cory Sarich
Hey everyone, I know it is everyone's favorite; another "what pickup should I choose?" thread.

Basically this is what I have now:

Epiphone Les Paul Classic
Roland Cube 30
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Digitech Whammy IV
Boss TU-2

I am looking to replace the pickups in my Les Paul and I think I have decided on a bridge pickup. I play a lot of punky/riffy/garage type of music (Think White Stripes to Ramones to Nirvana). I am not a great player and have only been playing for like a year but I am interested in changing up the pickups from the stock pickups.

I think I want a DiMarzio Super Distortion for the Bridge but I haven't completely decided what I want for the neck. I want something that is good for clean tones and maybe a little bit brighter if possible than what I have now.

I was also wondering if you guys suggest doing anything like replacing the pots or anything along those lines.

Thanks a lot.

This is the pickup for the bridge that I want; I think.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/DiMarzio-DP100-Super-Distortion-Pickup?sku=302000

My suggestion: Forget buying a new pickup, and get a new amplifier. The Cube 30 is a good practice amp, but if your serious about tone it won't do.
Quote by everragex822
the only reason you would need to replace your pots is to change the frequency (on the tone ones at least) so if you wanted a little more treble or a little less, other wise no and for the neck pickup the duncan sh-1 59 is nice

Cheap guitars ship with cheap electronics. Might as well replace them while you've got the thing opened up. Adds an extra 5 minutes and you learn a bit about how the signal flows, which is the first step to getting good tone.
Firstly, get a new amp. This should be your first step.

Secondly, I assume you play with either distortion or overdrive most of the time. To that end; get a different distortion/overdrive/fuzz pedal too. You can do far, far better than a Muff. Comedy name aside, they really don't have much going for them compared to the Boss's OD range and Digitech's pedals such as the Screamin' Blues overdrive/distortion and the Grunge distortion.

Following all that, I think the DiMarzio SD might be too punchy and hot for you.
For the Bridge, I'd suggest either the DiMarzio Breed Bridge, Evo 2, or Mo' Joe. Maybe even just the PAF Pro. I think you'd find the Seymour Duncan JB model could do you proud as well, as could their various Custom variations (Custom, Duncan Custom, Custom Five, Custom Custom) - depends just how hot you want it. Generally I would recommend the Seymour Duncans over the DiMarzio's, but I'm biased.
I'd probably recommend something like a Seymour Duncan '59 or Alnico II Pro for the neck pickup. Solid cleans with just enough heat to overdrive nicely if you need it, without ever going into 'wall of inaudible noise mode' that is a problem with so many neck pickups now. Personally I use Gibson Burstbucker #2s in the neck position of almost all my guitars bar one, but I think that may be just a little bit too light and thick for your needs, plus there's the cost of course (for the record, I find a combination of a #2 neck and a #3 bridge is unbeatable for any style of playing, but again - I'm biased, and I am aware most people prefer a hotter and thinner tone than I do).