Ok just wondering, I only change my strings when they break :\ which is mostly never.

So obviously they dont sound the way they did.

But im wondering could this affect your abilities like discerning one note from another ?

Is it really that vital to change strings every couple weeks ?
|-----| Gear |-----|

Ibanez RG(cnt remember)
Marshall MG30DFX
Line 6 Guitar Port

YOUTUBE PR0NZZ
yes it is very improtant to change your strings. I change mine when i dont like the sound of them anymore. so that depends how much i play them. if im playing every day i would change them at least once a month maybe twice if i play a lot.
I need to change my strings right now, and I can definately tell from the feel of them, along with the tone I'm getting from them, and I can see them starting to dull. So really, if you start losing tone and playability (more comfort than playability, but you get the idea), then it's time for a change.
ummmm no not really i mean some people say its vital like you get a better sound but basicly just change them out when they look a bit worn e.g have got rust/marks on them and it will be fine and every couple of weeks will cost you a bomb.....
Quote by Ichimaru
Pics? I can tell if someone has AIDS just by looking.

Quote by xHuffyx
BTW, what's metal and full of holes?

Dimebag Darrell.
it all depends on what kind of strings you have... if they are elixers, they usually last a long time.
my gear: ibanez destroyer( with gibson 500t pickup), epiphone les paul plus,ampeg electric, marshall jcm2000 triple super lead half stack
o and if you have a live show comeing up its a good idea to change prior to that else if there old they are more prone to snap
Quote by Ichimaru
Pics? I can tell if someone has AIDS just by looking.

Quote by xHuffyx
BTW, what's metal and full of holes?

Dimebag Darrell.
I personally like really old strings. I think they sound more....dirty?
I don't really like bright. So I keep mine on for a while. But I run cloth with cleaner over and under them to get all the dirt off.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
i change mine every other month or so.. I can tell new from old strings.. personally i don't like brand new strings.. a little to much twang, gotta work 'em in for a week or so.
every 2 months or so?
i'm not as fussed as much as some people, one of my mates changes his every 2 weeks.
i go to music college
so i guess they wear out quicker than most probably do...
unless you play hella loads.
just leave em till your not happy with em, nothing is written in stone.
Quote by Mr. La Fritz

Squirrels are fluffy bits of gay.

Quote by LordPino
My penis is so big it has its own hands.
elixer? that a type of potion lol

do you get those in normal guitar shops ?
|-----| Gear |-----|

Ibanez RG(cnt remember)
Marshall MG30DFX
Line 6 Guitar Port

YOUTUBE PR0NZZ
Mine are completely dead within 5 days, playing an hour a day. And that's after wiping them, washing my hands before playing, etc. They are completely covered in rust. You can barely play them, even, so I constantly change mine.
i have a cousin who hadnt changed his strings in 6 years.
they were literally black and rusted over.
my fingers would start hurting after a few seconds of playing.
he told me one time his fingers started bleeding.
i finally made him change his stings a few weeks ago.

dont wait 6 years to change your strings!
Quote by Cobalt Blue
i change mine every other month or so.. I can tell new from old strings.. personally i don't like brand new strings.. a little to much twang, gotta work 'em in for a week or so.

Yep. Exactly.
i play probably 2-5 hours a day and i can easily rust my strings to hell in under a week, but i usually clean the strings thouroughly every day so can usually stretch em for 2-3 weeks then they just feel and sound horrible and i replace em
i just use a cloth and some isopropyl alcohol and just wipe them down, making sure to get underneith em too, cleans em in no time
you guys have serious problems, how can your strings rust in under a week?
your not playing that much.
i think you should look at what enviroment your keeping your guitar in, is it dusty, damp?
try leaving it in it's case whenever you're not playing it...
cos changing strings once a week must be hella expensive and annoying and you shouldn't have to do it. IT AIN'T RIGHT!
Quote by Mr. La Fritz

Squirrels are fluffy bits of gay.

Quote by LordPino
My penis is so big it has its own hands.
ive had an ibanez rg 120 since last christmas day. bought it outta guitar center it came already strung and i havent broken or changed any strings yet. and they still sound alright.
Quote by dethofmoo
haha you said shlong. that means penis. haha your hair is like a penis. penis-hair!

Quote by Vin2254
I once strummed so hard the earth cracked in two and satan rose from the firey pits of hell and marveled in my glorious strumming abilities. True story.
Quote by silly6-string
how do u clean them?
with out takeing them off

This is amazing: I got an old acoustic out of the attic with rusty strings (steel), so I rubbed each one down with chrome polish and they were like new. OK, so they were like strings that had been on your guitar for two months, but it's still pretty cool how they went from dark grey and brown to shiny silver.

If you want to keep your strings clean and new, rub them down with a cotton towel after you are done playing. Nothing in depth, just to keep them clean. And try to wash your hands if they are greasy. Just make sure you dry them very well.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
you guys have serious problems, how can your strings rust in under a week?

I know its damn annoying, some people just have very acidic fingers it seems - i certainly do :p

Edit: Just finished playing for today, my G string is brown (used a lot in what im learning at the moment) and ive only had these strings on for maybe a week and a half? Thankfully cleanin em thouroughly once i finish keeps em going for a couple of weeks otherwise id get pretty annoyed :p If only my fingers didnt sweat so much when playing
Last edited by Jackface20 at Nov 30, 2007,
i change them whenever they break. ive had my guitar about 4 months and last night was the second time ive changed them
Quote by dysonsphere
Mine are completely dead within 5 days, playing an hour a day. And that's after wiping them, washing my hands before playing, etc. They are completely covered in rust. You can barely play them, even, so I constantly change mine.

wow,, seriously man, you need to invest in some elixirs, they may cost a little more up front, but you wont need to change them so much,.