I've been playing here and there for a year now...
But Its weird coz I never followed any pattern. I started playing any song I could the second I picked a guitar up. The technique and theory naturally followed.
But i dunno what next...
I wanna start writing stuff and I want a heavy sound. I've looked at no end of bands and their songs, finding 36 Crazyfists can sound rele heavy with a Drop D while other bands I like use Drop B or CGCFAD...
How can I decide which is best?
Whichever one you like. Only you can really decide that.
Oppression, quiet and Repressed
Swept under the seams
the bed of the acquiesced
where we sleep, insomniac dreams
i just use standard... i really dont see the point of tunings lower than the key of B, if you have a bass playing also....
Just experiment n decide which one you like best. Perhaps start with Drop D, if you find you want to play even lower try Drop Db n if thats still not low enough then go for Drop C.
Ok lets say I decide Drop C... Which gauge would you guys recommend?
Still deciding between C and B. Feel free to tell me the pros and cons u guys have had if any with either tuning. I mean so far im basing my decision on songs I like...
Quote by ElliotUG
Ok lets say I decide Drop C... Which gauge would you guys recommend?
Still deciding between C and B. Feel free to tell me the pros and cons u guys have had if any with either tuning. I mean so far im basing my decision on songs I like...

my mates band tune to drop B and he uses these strings i believe:
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/69290
Top lel.
^--Electric or acoustic? Im pretty sure youre talking electric but i just want to be sure.
I would begin with standard tuning, but that's just me. Of course, if you want to play with different tunings, you can always experiment.
Drop B it is then...
Just looked at some Chevelle and Slipknot songs amongst others so...
Cheers again dudes.
Quote by ElliotUG
I've been playing here and there for a year now...
But Its weird coz I never followed any pattern. I started playing any song I could the second I picked a guitar up. The technique and theory naturally followed.
But i dunno what next...
I wanna start writing stuff and I want a heavy sound. I've looked at no end of bands and their songs, finding 36 Crazyfists can sound rele heavy with a Drop D while other bands I like use Drop B or CGCFAD...
How can I decide which is best?

36 Crazyfists plays in Drop C... Except for "Bury Me Where I Fall" Which is in A# I think.
I prefer Drop C myself, but that's cause I really like playing Killswitch / All that remains / disturbed / metallica down a tuning, that way I can easily tune the C back to D no problems

I can also play some parkway and it not sound to "light" so suits me great, Most of the bands I listen to are in drop c, and those are the bands I wish to learn,

However saying that I have 3 guitars so it doesn't bother me on what tuning I need, but I just seem to prefer Drop C myself

Which ever one you prefer write with that, you can always just tune up and see how it sounds you might even prefer it, plus it depends on who you write with. maybe other guitarists will prefer drop c and you'll have to come to some conclusion on which the song will be played in
Quote by ElliotUG
Drop B it is then...
Just looked at some Chevelle and Slipknot songs amongst others so...
Cheers again dudes.

Chevelle was playing in drop A# for the "This type of thinking could do us in" album, then on the "Scifi Crimes" album they went for a odd variation of Drop C#, you can't get to it with a tuner, the only way I could find it was to tune to it using the actual song.
For down tunings I would go with D standard. Not too low but still gives you that heavy sound. I don't like drop tunings but drop C is fine if you wish.
Quote by beadhangingOne
Are you talking about those weird sphincter-spasms where it feels like there's a ghost dick in your ass for a little while and then it just disappears?
I use Drop C as I like playing an listening to band's that use this tuning but some band's I listen to go lower.