i just got asked to teach a kid guitar. he has never played guitar in his life.

ok, so how do i go about doing this?

i was thinking first teach him a few things about the guitar, then get into chords, then scales, then other things. is this the way to go?

i never had lessons, my parents never wanted to shell out the cash so i decided to practice 2-4 hours a day, and well teaching yourself is a completely different thing.

anyways, if youve given out lessons before, what did you start with, and where did you go from there?
i taught a friend a little bit.......

the parts of the guitar, how to position your hand, some open chords to play around with, and a simple bass line to practice using single notes (even though it was on a guitar). the bass line was the one from nothins comin by the vines.

Jack my swag
Most kids will get discouraged with the difficulty and quit, so don't overthink it.

What you teach is not that important, just make sure it's at the right level. Don't bother with tuning, or even holding it right. Just get them playing the damn thing, see if they'll play a two or three note melody.

Thing is guitar is a really hard instrument to learn. It's also very easy to play, that's the tradeoff. Most quit.

"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

i have tought a couple of friends to play. started with something real easy, like the bass line to nirvanas come as you are to get them intersted, and some thing to work towards like greendays good riddence. so give them something they can play in an hour and something they wil be able to play in a week. just dont give them anything too hard or they will lose interest. try to find simple songs they like
the pic theif strikes again

Member #1 of im not a member of anything, and i dont wanna be. PM me to join
^ well said Bubonic. Ask the kid what kind of music he likes, and start with a reletavely simple song along those lines that will help him learn the basics. IE; if he says classic rock, start him on somthing like Wish You Were Here, if he says metal, maybe Mother by Danzig or some Green Day/Offspring stuff, if he says rap maybe the acoustic version of Hey Ya by Outkast, etc etc. He'll get a lot more interested if he's playing somthing that interests him, IMO
also , Greensleeves is a very easy song the most people recognize as What Child is This.

Also if the kid likes Harry Potter you can teach him the Harry Potter Intro
i learned that 1234 warmup thing on my first lesson. I practiced that thing for like 2 hours a day that week haha.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

What you teach is not that important, just make sure it's at the right level. Don't bother with tuning, or even holding it right.

I have to disagree. How to tune your guitar should be one of the first things you learn, if you're not in tune nothing will sound right.
Just remember to keep the lessons fun, if it's fun he'll want to keep doing it, if not than he'll quit.
My Gear:
Ashton AG131
Ashton GA10 (amp)
Marshall MG250DX (gasp, i know...)
Ibanez S470DXQM
EH Metal Muff
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") ... he's gaining power
Quote by mozzay
i have tought a couple of friends to play. started with something real easy, like the bass line to nirvanas come as you are to get them intersted, and some thing to work towards like greendays good riddence. so give them something they can play in an hour and something they wil be able to play in a week. just dont give them anything too hard or they will lose interest. try to find simple songs they like

well said. youve got to keep them interested.i tried teaching one of my friends (who, ironicly, taught me my first rift. but that was all he knew, so i quickly moved ahead of him and taught him for a bit)

but if its fun, theyll carry on.

but do teach tab.
find out what music he likes and try teaching him simple melodies from those kind of songs - best way to stick with guitar when u start is to be able to play stuff you like to listen to imo

(which turned out to be a problem for me cos i listen to shred :p)
teach him from the beginning that the speed you play and teh speed you learn arnt important. ive been seriously playing for about 14 months now (id been lax for the year before that, didnt really make any progress). and ive only tried my first solo today. but its going fine still, i hear about ppl trying eruption after about 2 months. i felt down about that at first, but im cool with my speed.

so basiclly, teach him A) bull****ters exist and B) take it at your own speed.
The best way to teach students is with experience - the more you teach, the more you know what is right and what is wrong. Of course, seeing as this is your first lesson, you can begin by asking what he wants to play. From there, you can direct the lesson, almost like him outlining the whole lesson for you.

Hope this helps.