Page 1 of 20
Sloopy
is classic rock.
2,622 IQ
Every thread ever made about the Stones seems to burn out and die off much too quickly. They're legends! I mean we've got huge threads on lots of classic rock bands but ones on the Stones never stay very long.

So getting things going...

What era of the Stones is your favourite? Be it record-wise, touring-wise, looks-wise, whatever.

For me it's the post-Brian Jones pre-Ronnie Wood era musically, like 1969 - 1974. But I really like the current line-up performance wise.
DALAI LAMA OF ZEPPELINISM

Quote by Kartman

I look up to you now. I'm serious, I have more respect for you than most Ugers!
DownInAHole.
swag on my dick
2,756 IQ
Some Girls is the best classic rock album ever....almost.
LOL
Cptbeefheart
UG's Captain of Beef
33 IQ
I'm a fan of the Exile on Mainstreet era with Mick Taylor on guitar. His playing fits so well with the band. I would say even better than Woody's does.
Co-Founder of the Creedence Clearwater Revival Fanclub...PM me or Pi3h-B0y to join!

Member #17 of the UG Queen Fanclub!...PM Hanzi_G to join!

The Sinister Minister of Zeppelinism...Pm TheHeartbreaker to join.
BlackArmor
16 IQ
My favourites are from Keith was on his own with stuff like Gimme Shelter and You Can't Always Get What You Want(studio). After that, Brian Jones era easily.
therussian
For the Motherland
515 IQ
Considering that the Beatles are and have been my favourite band for a long time now, I never really gave the Rolling Stones a really listening too (of course, I know some of their most well known stuff).

Which album do think I should start with? Or would it be better just to get a "Best Of" compilation?
Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up.
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit.
Maet
906 IQ
Sticky Fingers is my favourite. Hands down, end of story, period.
ZeppMuffins
Stuck Inside A Cloud.
43 IQ
Quote by Maet
Sticky Fingers is my favourite. Hands down, end of story, period.

Mhmm, same here. Exile On Main St. & Get Yer Ya Yas Out are also some of my favorites.
Where's that confounded bridge?

Try to realize it's all within yourself
no one else can make you change
And to see you're really only very small
and life flows on within you and without you.
JimmyStradlin33
guitar playing shrimp
1,422 IQ
I second the comments about sticky fingers and exile. Mick Taylor really brought the best out of Keith. I wanted to go see them at the o2 arena but tickets were £100 and i was poor
Sloopy
is classic rock.
2,622 IQ
Quote by therussian
Which album do think I should start with? Or would it be better just to get a "Best Of" compilation?

Start with 'Let It Bleed' or perhaps 'Exile On Main St.' I wouldn't start a best of though, you need to get the full effect of a Stones record. 'Some Girls' is a thought as well.

Quote by Kartman

BrainDamage
Knirps for moisture
4,254 IQ
Quote by Cptbeefheart
I'm a fan of the Exile on Mainstreet era with Mick Taylor on guitar. His playing fits so well with the band. I would say even better than Woody's does.
Mick Taylor and Keith are so different with their styles, but I always felt that it was a great fit nonetheless.

Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out is one of the best live albums ever.
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
Sloopy
is classic rock.
2,622 IQ
Quote by BrainDamage
Mick Taylor and Keith are so different with their styles, but I always felt that it was a great fit nonetheless.

Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out is one of the best live albums ever.

Mick Taylor and Keith Richards had some great guitar chemistry but I think he's better friends with Ron and it comes out stronger in the music. The interplay on Woods-era tunes is really impressive I always thought. 'Beast Of Burden' being a good example off the top of my head.

Oh and I just found a Mick Jagger & Lenny Kravitz cover of the Bill Withers classic 'Use Me Up' and I was just wondering if anybody knew when this was done? I wouls guess around 2001 when Mick was doing Goddess In The Doorway but I'm not entirely sure.

Quote by Kartman

Last edited by Sloopy at Nov 30, 2007,
Small Print
Lift Your Skinny Fists!
192 IQ
Sticky Fingers and Beggars Banquet. I can't really choose between the two. After that, get Let It Bleed and Exile on Main Street. After them, get Aftermath, Some Girls and Tatoo You. If you want to get the rest, get 'em! A greatest hits compilation may also do for some of the early hits (Jumpin' Jack Flash, Satisfaction etc.)
Sloopy
is classic rock.
2,622 IQ
Quote by Small Print
Sticky Fingers and Beggars Banquet. I can't really choose between the two. After that, get Let It Bleed and Exile on Main Street. After them, get Aftermath, Some Girls and Tatoo You. If you want to get the rest, get 'em! A greatest hits compilation may also do for some of the early hits (Jumpin' Jack Flash, Satisfaction etc.)

I know they've reissued a lot of the older records, so you can get singles like 'Satisfaction' on full albums now.

Quote by Kartman

Spitz13
aka Mr. Marbles
1,117 IQ
can anyone recomend me any songs by the rolling stones? the only ones i have and like are paint it black, sympathy for the devil, and jumpin jack flash, any of them that are sorta like thooes i guess.. cheers :P
Iluvpowerchords
Flau-BEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR
1,364 IQ
Exile on Main St. is one of the most finely crafted pieces of rock in history.

It took a while to really stick with me 'cause the tempos are slower and the tracks are dense, but once I heard it a few times I fell in love.
hb15577
Easy like sunday
287 IQ
Quote by Spitz13
can anyone recomend me any songs by the rolling stones? the only ones i have and like are paint it black, sympathy for the devil, and jumpin jack flash, any of them that are sorta like thooes i guess.. cheers :P

i think one of there best songs made is cant you hear me knocking, the start is realy loud and rock and rollish, and then the second part is all jazzy, it is a really good song, some other songs you might like are brown sugar and gimme shelter
Last edited by hb15577 at Jun 28, 2008,
SGstriker
UG Addict
3,556 IQ
Quote by Spitz13

Well, Gimmee Shelter, Street Fightin Man, The Last Time, I Can't Get No Satisfaction, Mother's Little helper, Honky Tonk Woman, Can't You Hear Me Knockin?, Start me Up, Miss You, Brown Sugar, Don't Stop, Happy and Beast of Burden are some of my favorites...check some of those out.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
Sloopy
is classic rock.
2,622 IQ
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
Exile on Main St. is one of the most finely crafted pieces of rock in history.

It took a while to really stick with me 'cause the tempos are slower and the tracks are dense, but once I heard it a few times I fell in love.

Yeah, it's the kind of record that is timeless. I mean like it just seems to be good for all hours of the day, y'know? Been really really into it this past month or so, just can't get enough!

And to Spitz13:
Check out 'Citadel', 'Play With Fire', and 'Tumbling Dice'.

Quote by Kartman

claptonfan55
Bluesius Maximus
408 IQ
Exile On Main Street and Sticky Fingers are my two favorites, so I guess I like the Taylor era best, though I think both Brian Jones did and Ron Wood has done well in the band.
"Notes are expensive. . .use them wisely"-B.B. King

"It's been very important throughout my career that I've met all the guys I've copied, because at each stage they've said, 'Don't play like me, play like you."-Eric Clapton
GnikNus
April Fool
111 IQ
i like the taylor era myself...
in an attempt to keep this thread around, sympathy for the devil is possibly the most amazing song ever

Quote by wilty00
Aren't you kind of scared walking around in the dark with a carniverous loon on the loose?
Sloopy
is classic rock.
2,622 IQ
Quote by GnikNus
sympathy for the devil is possibly the most amazing song ever

You know what? You're right! I have it playing at the moment and forty some years later - it still rocks!

Quote by Kartman

RHCP94
So hood rich
591 IQ
That song is lyrical prefection.
My all gold grills give her cold chills
Said she gotta coke feel cuz I'm sooo trill.
Feel bad inc.
Ug's Rock Lobster!
648 IQ
I love the stones, I dont have many albums but the stuff I have is great. I think its so amazing that they are still going after 40+ years and still touring and recording.
Mind Riot
50 Million Year Trip
231 IQ
It probably goes without saying, but I think they're one of the best rock n' roll bands in history. Their discography, however, is really daunting.

I have Aftermath, Beggars Banquet, Sticky Fingers, The Rolling Stones, Now!, Exile On Main Street, and a handful of random mp3's.

Out of those, I have to say I like Beggars Banquet the best.
Sloopy
is classic rock.
2,622 IQ
^ Beggar's Banquet is probably their crowning Jones-era glory. Let It Bleed is my favourite 60's Stones album though.

Quote by Kartman

JimmyStradlin33
guitar playing shrimp
1,422 IQ
I joined. So what are everyones favourite songs? I'm absolutely loving Happy at the moment, that intro riff, just something else. But besides that Honky Tonk Women, Street Fighting Man and Wild Horses are all incredible.
Edit: And Tumbling Dice. In fact anything off Exile.
Sloopy
is classic rock.
2,622 IQ
^ It's really fun to tune your guitar to open G, put on Honky Tonk Women, and go nuts with your slide. Been doing that way too much lately...

As far as favourite songs go I really like 'Monkey Man' and 'Loving Cup' lately.

Quote by Kartman

DownInAHole.
swag on my dick
2,756 IQ
^ Isn't Start Me Up in open g too? I can't remember....it's some open tuning though!
LOL
BrainDamage
Knirps for moisture
4,254 IQ
^^yes it is. Brown Sugar also. I keep a guitar in open G (I play a lot of Black Crowes and like, 90% of their rhythm stuff is in open G), so I usually find myself strumming some Rolling Stones every now and then.
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
JimmyStradlin33
guitar playing shrimp
1,422 IQ
I find that on the whole their most signature songs are the ones in open G outside of satisfaction and jumping jack flash.
master
UG Board King
1,387 IQ
Quote by BrainDamage
^^yes it is. Brown Sugar also. I keep a guitar in open G (I play a lot of Black Crowes and like, 90% of their rhythm stuff is in open G), so I usually find myself strumming some Rolling Stones every now and then.

I saw the Crowes a little while ago they reminded me a lot of the Stones. They did a ripping version of Can't you hear me knockin' too.
master
UG Board King
1,387 IQ
Quote by JimmyStradlin33
I find that on the whole their most signature songs are the ones in open G outside of satisfaction and jumping jack flash.

Jumping Jack Flash is actually in open G live

so is: I wanna hold you, you got me rocking, hand of fate. can't you hear me knockin', if you can't rock me, you can't always get what you want, and a bunch of others.
Sloopy
is classic rock.
2,622 IQ
Quote by master
so is: I wanna hold you, you got me rocking, hand of fate. can't you hear me knockin', if you can't rock me, you can't always get what you want, and a bunch of others.

You Can't Always Get What You Want is played in standard with a capo on the fifth my friend.

Quote by rockinlespaul
What's everyone's favorite Stones song here?

Really lovin' Stray Cat Blues lately, didn't somebody just ask this question?

Quote by Kartman

Aesop_Rock
39 IQ
Anybody else think country honk is cooler then honky tonk women? I just love that loose feel to it sounds like there all getting pissed in a bar in the south and just playing away.
JimmyStradlin33
guitar playing shrimp
1,422 IQ
I do love Country Honk but Honky Tonk Women is just incredible. The rhythm playing is out of this world. The tone is brilliant, probably my favourite tone. And theres a pause in the playing at about 1:16 which is soo good.