Page 4 of 20
ok guys im not a big of a stones fan as i should be. I only have beggars banquet (which is one of my favorite albums). And forty licks.

I know they have some other great albums. But which one should i get next?
Get Sticky Fingers my man, easily the most well-rounded Stones release.
DALAI LAMA OF ZEPPELINISM

Quote by Kartman

I look up to you now. I'm serious, I have more respect for you than most Ugers!
I can't listen to them but they were good and why they don;t quit they should
People keep asking us where Paul is. That's a really funny question. See, if Paul was still in the band then we wouldn't have a new fucking record. That's why Paul isn't in the band anymore. (by Maynard James Keenan)
Quote by ray_von
Exile on Main Street is probably the best stones album. Brilliantly constructed, raw rock n roll.

Exile is an interesting record. It's got just the right amount of all the ingredients that make the Stones the Stones y'know?

That being said it's got a very hit-or-miss vibe to it, no?

Quote by Kartman

Quote by Sloopy
Exile is an interesting record. It's got just the right amount of all the ingredients that make the Stones the Stones y'know?

I guess, some of the songs on it aren't very strong. Yet the overall vibe of the album makes up for it in my opinion.
Co-Founder of the Creedence Clearwater Revival Fanclub...PM me or Pi3h-B0y to join!

Member #17 of the UG Queen Fanclub!...PM Hanzi_G to join!

The Sinister Minister of Zeppelinism...Pm TheHeartbreaker to join.
Quote by Sloopy

I absolutely love it. Happy is probably my favourite stones song ever followed by Tumbling dice and Rocks off. Shine a light is brilliant, it's one of those few double albums that i can listen to from start to finish without skipping a track.

Also i would say that it does have some very signature stones songs, Happy probably being the best example. For me it's vintage Keith and you can tell it was written by the same guy who wrote Brown Sugar, Honkey Tonk Women, Start Me Up etc. But like Cpt.Beefheart says it definitely has a unique vibe which is part of the reason i love it so much.
Last edited by JimmyStradlin33 at Feb 28, 2008,
^ Yeah, Exile really bleeds a great vibe. Let It Bleed will always be my favourite Stones album and song, I just love everything about the album and the song.

Quote by Kartman

Man I have Exile on Vinyl and it sounds soooo good. I love it! It doesn't beat Beggars Banquet for me though.
i dont quite see why Exile on Main Street is considered one of the best rock n roll records of all time. There really isnt many hit songs for a double LP. Why is it so great?
Quote by metallicaPOOS
i dont quite see why Exile on Main Street is considered one of the best rock n roll records of all time. There really isnt many hit songs for a double LP. Why is it so great?

Have you listened to it? Because I shared your opinion, until I bought the album and immediately fell in love with it. It's got so many great songs: Rocks off, Rip this joint, Happy, Sweet Virginia ... Lots of blues ... It's one of my all time favourite albums now!
well i've downloaded a few songs here and there.... but you are right. I'll go to the record store tomorrow and buy it.
in the 70s they looked so cool, and even now, keith richards and ronnie wood are the coolest people i have ever seen lol
Quote by metallicaPOOS

There's a vibe about Exile that is hard to explain. It's rough, but it's polished, it's rock n' roll, but it's blues. Understand?

Quote by Kartman

The thing I like about Exile is that all the songs sound like they could fall apart at any second, but they never do. It's like a speeding train that barely stays on the rails. It's the most exciting record I own.
i dig 'em..i like how they're like in their 60's/70's, and they're still touring and whatnot.
Quote by SteveHouse
M. Night Shyamallama

Quote by master
The thing I like about Exile is that all the songs sound like they could fall apart at any second, but they never do. It's like a speeding train that barely stays on the rails. It's the most exciting record I own.

This sums up why I love the Stones so much.....They are an extremely tight band with a loose feeling to them,...does that make sense to you guys? I love back in the day when Mick would almost yell lyrics. It almost makes me sad to watch the Stones DVD's and see Mick warming up with scales and stuff...anyway, for me Keith is the Stones. He is the very reason I picked up a guitar in the first place. And you know whats great about the Stones...they are still relevant....If they weren't, would they be packing football stadiums? " A Bigger Bang", in my opinion was a solid release, not spectacular, but still solid....The only real disappointment for me was "Dirty Work", except I love the piano instrumental for Stu at the end.
Exile has a very high concentration of very good songs, a lot of them they still play live regularly.

I think that Keiths backing vocals (even though raw and unrefined) really make this album sound like it does. That and the fact that it was recorded in keiths basement make it seem like just a bunch of people in a room jamming.
"Swords, nature's hell sticks."- Trip Fisk
^ That "jamming" comment was actually pretty bang on. Keith rented a house in France and they all just went to town on recording this thing in the basement.

Quote by Kartman

^ Thanks, I'll check that out.

Hey everybody what do you all think about It's Only Rock N' Roll the album? At the time I really liked it but lately I've tired of it. Just sounds like some of the tracks could have been sharpened or left off completely. Especially "If You Really Want To Be My Friend" - god awful.

Quote by Kartman

^ It was actually the first Stones album I got and I like it but not in a fanatical way. My favourite track on it is the opener If You Can't Rock Me or Luxury.

It ain't no Sticky Fingers though - granted I don't have all of the Stones' albums yet but Sticky Fingers for me is one of my favourite albums of all time.

"The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society"
I like finger print file, ain't too proud to beg, and the title track of It's only Rock n' Roll. The rest is just filler for me. If you can't rock me kicks live but the studio version sounds kinda flat, probably because of the way it was produced.
^ Ain't Too Proud To Beg isn't terrible, I'll give you that. Of course the title track is a gem. The record just sounds tired and deflated - probably a great symmetry to what the Stones felt and looked like at the time. They really didn't fix their mediocrity 'til Some Girls.

Quote by Kartman

yeah some girls kicks ass. You can hardly tell 90% of the songs are just A to D.

The shine a light soundtrack is on several torrent sites for those who are interested. They sound awesome. Rough and kinda sloppy, but groovin'. My favorite cuts so far are shattered and Champagne and Reefer with Buddy Guy. Live with Me with Christina Aguilera rocks too.
I saw the Shine a Light at my local cinema last night, and it was awesome. It was showed in time with the London premiere, so for 20 minutes before they broadcast the red carpet entries from Leicester Square, giving interviews to the band and such.

The concert was great too, all the guests were class - Buddy Guy was brilliant, his voice was absolutely outstanding, and as for Aguilera . . . well let's just say I wouldn't mind a bit of that ^ master, that's weird - my favourite 2 songs were champagne reefer and shattered too, haha. Satisfaction was really good as well, I'm not normally such a big fan of that song but I thought the intro riff from Keith just sounded spot on.

I'd recommend everyone to go and see it in the cinema of they can, the sound and everything does make a difference, and for a fiver it's well worth it.

"The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society"
I'm seeing it tonight at midnight in IMAX. They have tribute bands and an open bar and everything so it should be really fun.
Quote by master
yeah some girls kicks ass. You can hardly tell 90% of the songs are just A to D.

...and I wouldn't have it any other way .

As for Shine A Light, it doesn't come out on Canada until tomorrow, hopefully I'll get down to an IMAX theatre this weekend!

Quote by Kartman

So how many of you here have seen Shine A Light yet? From what i've heard it's meant to be pretty great, but haven't had the chance to see it myself yet

Having seen them live in person i'm curious as to how they'll pull it off on the big screen
TR19

I'm gonna turn it into hydrogen.....
Last edited by billie_d at Apr 7, 2008,
I saw it last weekend and I thought it was fantastic. It has some really funny moments in it too and they play great during the concert. Mick's a ****ing machine man. He gets a lot of **** for being a bit queer but I honestly believe there is no better frontman than him. My favorite part was Champagne and reefer with Buddy Guy. There was a close-up of his face during it and he just had this really intense look on him. The theatre was packed and there was huge applause after every song and a standing ovation at the very end. It was almost like a real gig.

I've seen them live 3 times and the film captures the band's excitement and intensity very well. Great camera work and editing.
Shine a Light was terrific. Champagne and Reefer was the best, hands down. That's how I like the Stones, rough and jagged....awesome song, Buddy Guy is wicked and I thought it was classy of Scorsese to turn Keith's mic on when he said to Buddy "It's yours" and handed him his guitar. Again...Keith Richards is the man and this movie showed that brilliantly.

Later guys!!
^I wish this was playing in my town, I don't think I've heard a bad review of it yet.
Co-Founder of the Creedence Clearwater Revival Fanclub...PM me or Pi3h-B0y to join!

Member #17 of the UG Queen Fanclub!...PM Hanzi_G to join!

The Sinister Minister of Zeppelinism...Pm TheHeartbreaker to join.
Quote by BigDoug
Again...Keith Richards is the man and this movie showed that brilliantly.

He was burned out at the end, too. The camera was on him for about 10 seconds after the last song. He was all sweaty on his knees, hugging his guitar and breathing heavily. You think he's about to pass out but then he just gets up and smiles. Coolest guy ever.
Quote by master
He gets a lot of **** for being a bit queer

What? Who ever gave Mick **** for "experimenting"?

Quote by master
He was burned out at the end, too. The camera was on him for about 10 seconds after the last song. He was all sweaty on his knees, hugging his guitar and breathing heavily. You think he's about to pass out but then he just gets up and smiles. Coolest guy ever.

Keith is the king of cool, there will never be another like him.

Quote by Kartman

The Shine A Light soundtrack is very good. I think that it might be my favorite live album by them.