I know a lot of people hate this amp cuz it's not a real marshall because it's not a tube amp.
but i'm not looking to get a tube amp, i'm looking at a solid state, so is this a great solid state, maybe the best?
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Last edited by acdclandon at Nov 29, 2007,
Peavey Transtube series amps are the best and "tubeyest" sounding solid state amps in my opinion.
What type of music do you play?

And when is that practice amp thread going to be stickied? : /
"Don't panic, everything is falling neatly out of order"
- Douglas Adams
No, no, and no.

...it's not a real marshall because it's not a tube amp

It is a Marshall, just sounds like crap.
Quote by acdclandon
I know a lot of people hate this amp cuz it's not a real marshall because it's not a tube amp.
but i'm looking to get a tube amp, i'm looking at a solid state, so is this a great solid state, maybe the best?

No... it IS a real Marshall seeing as their the company who made it.

And are you looking for a tube or SS?

Also, It's not near the best SS amp. Check out B-52's.
Quote by acdclandon
but i'm looking to get a tube amp, i'm looking at a solid state, so is this a great solid state, maybe the best?

wait, do you want tube or ss?
Quote by Chikitty_China
Good lord. You are amazing.

Quote by Jestersage
It's stereo amp, and I don't think it's tube. However, for a stereo amp, it is very good. Don't plug guitar into it; just use it as hi-fi if it works.
i want a ss amp
because tubes are just way too expensive
i play classic rock mainly, with some metal thrown in
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
you could try a marshall AVT amp

its "valve state" but thats basically marketing speak for soild state with a valve in it

you'll have to try em out first though opinion on those is devided
Gear:
Dean Razorback V 255 (explosion finish)
Jackson KX10 (amber sunburst)
Yamaha ERG121
random 50 quid acoustic
Randall RG50TC
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by acdclandon
i want a ss amp
because tubes are just way too expensive
i play classic rock mainly, with some metal thrown in

Tube amps aren't always really expensive. Did you look at any used?
Quote by UnsignedRecords

Please god, listen to him.
Quote by acdclandon
i'm looking at a solid state, so is this a great solid state, maybe the best?

Horrible solid state, probably the worst?
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by UnsignedRecords

+6000000
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
^ because for super high gain, or super clean cleans. but thats about it. Roland JC-120 or one of thsoe big randall 350w SS

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Take it from an MG owner......

DO. NOT. BUY. IT.

Do what UnsignedRecords says. I wish I had known about this place before I wasted money. I have my MG set to the best possible tone (thankfully, mine has a "tube emulation" switch, which makes it bearable) and I still don't like it.

Whatever you do, do not get an MG. They are okay for just practicing, I suppose, since that is what they were made for. But for anything else, NO.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by UnsignedRecords

You've been quoted before and i'll quote you as well, TS listen to UnsignedRecords all those amps should be better than the MG. So long as you can get a good pedal for the heavier stuff.

Also if you want to go SS don't get the 100 watt MG, over sized and overpriced.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
IF you HAVE to have a SS then get a Vox AD50VT

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy

JCM900 FOR SELL!
$10 he still considers getting the mg
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

^ $10 says the guitarist from my old band bought a MG because i had a marshall....then when one of his friends offered to buy him a new amp (any amp he wanted), he bought another MG, just like the one he had. Man i wish i had friends like that. The today he's putting a Super Distortion in his SG-x

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Quote by ssguitar
^ $10 says the guitarist from my old band bought a MG because i had a marshall....then when one of his friends offered to buy him a new amp (any amp he wanted), he bought another MG, just like the one he had. Man i wish i had friends like that. The today he's putting a Super Distortion in his SG-x

if that's not sarcasm, that's the largest amount of tonal fail I've ever heard of. Does he have a razorback, as well?

Anyway TS, if you want any other fellow guitarist to think you're a n00b, then get the MG Half Stack. Hell, get the Full Stack so they think you're a n00b with money.

I'd check out the Peavey Windsor, Peavey Classic 30, Crate Palomino, or Vox AC15 if you'd like to improve your tone.
Last edited by hrdcorelaxplaya at Nov 29, 2007,
Quote by UnsignedRecords
$10 he still considers getting the mg

They've got that crushing distortion, who wouldn't be tempted!
^^ no it wasnt sarcasm. he told me that today and i almost cried. no he has a Gibson SG-X that he just put a dimarzio (?) super distortion pup in it. Hes tone deaf, i tried to help him.

^ idk how i can turn down that crushing distortion, i think i might just sell all my gear, buy an LP-100 and a MG 150w full stack so i can look cool and have that br00tal crushing distortion!

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy

JCM900 FOR SELL!
^^ ahaha, the attraction is just so powerful
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

You should pick up a Roland Blues Cube 60 off of Ebay. It's a solid state with a distinctive tube like tone and feel. I have one, and well not as good as my actual tube amp, it can hold its own against a real tube amp and can actually sometimes do vintage tones better than my real tube amp because the tube amp I have is voiced for modern stuff.
12 fret fury
^ well i guess thats one of the millions of amps i havent tried. sorry

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy

JCM900 FOR SELL!
'87 Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Archtop
Laney LC15R
Quote by ssguitar
^ well i guess thats one of the millions of amps i havent tried. sorry

Not suprising, they aren't in production anymore

They aren't quite as compressed as most solid state amps, you can pick em up really cheap on ebay.
well, no response from the TS yet...
well, mr TS, buy that MG if you still want to...
but dont go crying back here and say we didnt warn ye...
Quote by tubab0y
Look at it this way- everyone rags on air guitar here because everyone can play guitar. If we were on a lawn mower forum, air guitar would be okay and they would ridicule air mowing.

TS:

Hey! I know it's probably no fun having 18 people in a row tell you that the amp of your dreams, a "Marshall stack," sucks ass. Only YOU can tell if you're happy with your sound or not. Go to your local Guitar Center (or equivalent), and play as many as the amps as you can that have been suggested here. My personal favorite in the $500 USD range is the Peavey ValveKings. They're all-tube amps and sound great from clean to dirty. Throw a dirt pedal in front of it, and you'll get enough gain to do metal, AND put a big smile on your face.

And if you REALLY want a half-stack, buy that Epiphone SoCal 50 half-stack on sale at Musician's Friend for only $499, which includes the head AND the 4x12 cab. Put a dirt pedal in front of that (since it doesn't quite have the gain to do metal), and I guarantee, you'll like it about a million times better than the MG.

Okay, now here's the part where I get flamed . . . if you REALLY want a "Marshall half-stack" go ahead and buy the Marshall MG412 cabinet for $279. It's not nearly as bad as the head, and with the right amp, I think it actually sounds pretty goddamned good [okay, begin flaming . . . NOW!]. Then put just about ANY head on top of that EXCEPT the MG head, and you'll be in business. In fact, you could even try that $150 Epi Valve Jr. clone, the Blackheart head, when it comes out in a couple weeks. Put THAT on top of the MG412, and it'll sound about a triillion times better than the MG head through that cabinet.

Okay, here's another one . . . get a Hartke 60-Watt hybrid head, the GT60, and put THAT on top of the MG412. The Hartke has a real 12AX7 tube-based preamp in it, so it may actually sound pretty decent. Plus, it looks like a "real" amp head, and probably looks ultra-bitchin' on top of that Marshall cab. Guess how much the Hartke head is??? It's only $149!!! So, $279 + $149 = $428. For ONLY $428, you get that, "Marshall stack look," plus, kind of a decent hybrid amp head with a tube preamp, that'll have plenty enough Watts for most situations. Folks are sure to flame my suggestions, but I'm assuming (never played through the Hartke) this will still sound way better than the MG head (maybe not, try it for yourself and see).
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Nov 30, 2007,
No, it's the reason why solid state amps get such bad rep...

You're still going to buy it aren't you?
Quote by entity0009
some retards decided it would be funny to use mental conditions as insults.
You've already got a line6spider, which is better than the MG anyway (Yes it IS that bad)
Quote by entity0009
some retards decided it would be funny to use mental conditions as insults.
ahah man this is turning how to be more fun than anything
idk i really don't see the mg being as bad as the spider 3, just no way
i'll go try it out
haven't yet
and i'll get back to you guys when i do
who knows
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by acdclandon
i'll go try it out
haven't yet
who knows

the main thing with the MG series, is that its intended as a practise amp...
so when it's in head/cab form...it kinda defeats the point, and is just a marketing ploy to pray on people who havent much experience with gear...or even those who havent developed an ear for tone yet.

just because it's a "stack" doesnt mean you're going to be able to crank it really loud and it's going to sound good.

i guarantee that it won't.

it'll sound like it's struggling when you get past about 4/10 on the volume...if its anything like the MG100 combo.

Please trust me when i tell you that there are way better ways to spend your money that don't look like you're trying to compensate for a small appendage.
Gibson LP w/SD59+PRS Dragon II
Fender 52RI Hotrod Tele
PRS Tremonti SE w/Bulldog Extremist/Black Label

Cornford MK50H & 2x12
Marshall JMP-1

TC Electronics G-System

MacBook + Ableton Live
Quote by acdclandon
i'll go try it out
haven't yet
who knows

pay up, boys

ts, you're making a big mistake, just think about it.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.