So recently I have noticed that my improves when jamming seem a little dry and devoid of emotion. It's like I can hear what I want in my head, but it never seems to come out through the fingers all the way. Everyone, including my teacher and musician friends, says they sound great, but I always disagree.

Could I just be too overcritical of myself? If not, what can I do to help me play what I hear?
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
heres what you do, and what all the greats have done, ie, satch, vai, etc

sit down, hum a melody, then play that melody on your guitar

it helps mucho
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
^ So, just basically just train my ear more by picking out song lines?

Yeah, I have been slacking off with that for quite some time. Curse you, UG tabs!

Thanks, man.
--

--
try to mix things up have like a little mimic thing with your vocalist

have him hum or whatever a short little lick

then try and mimic it as a voice by using your guitar, play out they hummed
|
go to bluesblast.com and just work with it for hours. Record it. Listen to it, crit yourself

Your best critic IS yourself after all. Instead of thinking of the scale, have it down so well in your head that you can see what each note will sound like before you play it, then just play... don't think, just play. Thats what I do, anyways.

edit: just listened to your "gm jam", your improv sounds fine. Maybe a little more space between notes, but your fine man. I thought you were still in that goin up and down the scale rut that most people are stuck in, but your pretty good man. know where I can get that backing track?
Last edited by coffeeguy9 at Nov 29, 2007,
Thanks, you guys. I'll definately try these...
--

--