Hi, just siemple and direct. I'm ****ing tired of pentatonic scales. What scales should I play instead?. I play metal. Thanks
my uncle gave me this really nice chart of scales...i could try to get a copy of it for you if you like..or just google it
eat my socks chuck norris!
Imagine how Kirk Hammet feels.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
for a real answer... id suggest minor scales. and all 3. natural, melodic and harmonic. even tho melodic is Bull**** in my opinion. might as well learn it.
Dean Something-or-Other
Jay Turser Semi-Hollow
B. Bass
Woodbine 12str.
-------
Crate Flexwave 120w
about 1300w more bass than i need
-------
But really Im a Drummer...
Zildjian biotch
Why is melodic bull**** in your opinion?
Im curious
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."
Quote by SlinkyBlue
Imagine how Kirk Hammet feels.

LOL! I LOVE Kirk Hammett but that is hilarious!
To the TS, look through the modes and find one you like.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
What kind of metal? Suggest bands that are similar.

Minor scales in general would be good.
For dissidence, diminished scales, augmented scales, eh.
More foreign sounding scales are double harmonic/byzantine, harmonic minor.
All of those can have a good darker sound.
I Survived The "Silent Deftone Cocksucking Forum"!-August 15th, 2006
Quote by dez_cole
For dissidence, diminished scales, augmented scales, eh.
More foreign sounding scales are double harmonic/byzantine, harmonic minor.
All of those can have a good darker sound.

Dissonance???
Frank Zappa's not dead. He just smells funny.
you could try them all, there is no such thing as a scale that should be used or not used for any one genre ,,, before someone says it no not even the blues scale (its not even a real scale would you believe lol)

but a tip if you are getting bored of minor pentatonic try expanding into the natural minor,,,like adding natural minor notes to pentatonic phrases, or mixing natural minor and pentatonic phrases together
Gear:
Dean Razorback V 255 (explosion finish)
Jackson KX10 (amber sunburst)
Yamaha ERG121
random 50 quid acoustic
Randall RG50TC
I don't know if you get the magazine Total Guitar where you are. If you do it comes with a chart of scales this month in poster form...
^ im buying it then *drools*
heavy support of A7X army pm Copius
Quote by spl3001
I think we can all really agree that nothing is more metal than playing a Telecaster....On fire.

Quote by GiantRaven
The rest of the album is brilliant but that one song just really gets right on my tits for some reason
Maybe you don't know enough about pents, they're just scales with the half steps omitted.

A - C D E - G A (minor)

C D E - G A - C (major)

Even though the omitted notes are part of the scales they can be used as dissonants or leading tones which add colors to the music. There are 5 pent shapes which correspond with 5 chord shapes which covers the modes too. Look up the CAGED system to learn more.

You can do a lot with pents but you'd need to learn more about 'em. Learning the full scales helps you to pick out pents, chord tones, triads (chords), etc. The CAGED system covers 'em all. Once you see it it's rather easy and covers the whole fretboard.

There are oodles of methods out there but the CAGED system gave me a good understanding of the musical structures and the 5 scales are linked by roots (octaves) so it's continuous back and forth on the fretboard. The only thing missing is your imagination.
Quote by PanHead
Maybe you don't know enough about pents

at first read, i thought you said something completely different.