I'm looking at getting a new guitar under about 1G, i mostly play hard rock etc but a bit of everything - i want to make sure i get a good sound and low action

I really like the look of the new Ibanez RGR421EXFM - pickups designed by EMG etc

My mate just got an Epiphone G-400 Custom - It has a real nice sound and low action

Need help! Suggestions please - if the ibanez looks real nice or any favorite electric etc
gibsons actually dont start at 2 grand...but I guess you dont want a gibson, look into fender fat strat maybe.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Quote by madkid
Gibsons starts at 2 grand - above my price range

Gibson starts at $500 with their Melody Maker.
And as far as your choices go, I really don't like Epiphone's guitars, I only own one because it was given to my by a close friend, and was my first.
So I'd go with the Ibanez, but that's me.

As far as my personal preferences go in way of guitars in general, I loves me an ESP, just haven't been able to afford one.
We've drained full confession booths, polluted drinking wells with our repentances, and then stood grinning with our arms around the shoulder of a rotting child.

If you resist change, you will be here forever.
Quote by madkid
Gibsons starts at 2 grand - above my price range

Not used. Check used Gibsons. They arnt bad most are trade ins with little nicks you'll never think about.
Try any Ibanez S, SZ, an ESP LTD 400 or 1000 model, or maybe Jacksons.

LTD's EC-500 guitars actually look pretty nice, and I believe are available with EMGs or Seymour Duncans in a variety of colors.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Are we talking one grand American?

In that case look at:

The Ibanez RG1570:

Link

It's around 750$, has a really comfortable thin, flat, neck and pretty decent stock pickups. This is without a doubt one of the best value for money Ibanez sollid bodies.

Fender MIA HSS Stratocaster:

Link

This might be at the top end of your budget, but it's a great guitar with plenty of versatility. If this guitar is too pricey, check the Mexican and Highway one versions which are still very nice.

Quilted Maple top Fender American Telecaster:

Link

This one is also a bit on the expensive side, retailing at around 1000$ US. You might want to consider the Korean alternatives, seeing as those are some of the nicest Fender I've seen for that price.

Spalted maple top Special Edition Telecaster:

Link

Insane value for money and a pair of lovely Seymour Duncan humbuckers.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Nov 30, 2007,
look at micheal kelly patriot black
nice guitar 499 or something on musiciansfriend
for the price u get a nasty deal
but u have to like all black les pauls
You get nothing! You lose! Good day sir!
umm probly should have specified that price, im in Australia so probaly more like $850 American $ max - will still have to look into the more pricey options though and thx for the PSTs so far
Quote by madkid
umm probly should have specified that price, im in Australia so probaly more like $850 American $ max - will still have to look into the more pricey options though and thx for the PSTs so far

In that case you'll probably still be able to either pick up the RG1570 (provided you like the thin neck) or the Spalted Maple Special Edition Telecaster, which would be a very wise choice.

Also, have a look at these:

Ibanez SZ720FM:

Link

Very nice guitar, with a set neck and a thicker profile than the RG.

Ibanez SAS36FMTG:

Link

The most Strat-like guitar in their line up. This one should fall well within your budget.
Quote by Bonsaischaap
In that case you'll probably still be able to either pick up the RG1570 (provided you like the thin neck) or the Spalted Maple Special Edition Telecaster, which would be a very wise choice.

The Fender looks real nice - u know much about it??? hard to find info
Damn i cant find any stores with the fender in Australia. Is there any problem shipping in guitars, from Musicians friend, Guitar center - like they don't need adapters or anything, all the same?
Quote by madkid
The Fender looks real nice - u know much about it??? hard to find info

My dad owns it for one.

It's a great instrument and despite the MIK heritage, the quality control and hardware is surprisingly good on these guitars. Try to find out if you can get, because it's worth every penny.

The pickups are regular Seymour Duncans, not Duncan Designed, and the guitar is put together extremely well.

If you want to, I can record some samples to give you an idea of what it sounds like.

Quote by madkid
Damn i cant find any stores with the fender in Australia. Is there any problem shipping in guitars, from Musicians friend, Guitar center - like they don't need adapters or anything, all the same?

Nope, there all the same.

The only thing that needs adapters are electronic equipment like amplifiers etc.

There is no problem shipping them, however keep in mind that sites like musiciansfriend.com don't ship outside the continental US.