Hey.

Im Australian, and ive heard quite a bit about the WGA strike, and ive looked it up, but no site actually says why the strike is happening.

If any Americans could offer any explanation into the strike, then it would be very appreciated.
As far as I know, new contracts for the union(s) could not be agreed upon before the allotted deadline.
The Writer Guild Strike is happening mainly because of television stuff (although screenwriters are also striking but are not picketing in as large of numbers).
There are two main issues that cannot be resolved. DVD royalties, and Internet royalties. Currently for every $10 spent on a DVD, the credited writers get one third of a penny. The Writer's guild is seeking to increase this to two thirds of a penny. The Networks are obviously against that increase.
The larger battle is over Internet royalties. The WGA is seeking to develop a royalties system for videos streamed on the internet similar to the one in place for television brodcasts (the writers get paid every time the episode airs). You know how you can go to ABC.com and watch Lost? The Networks are making money off of that via all of the ads on the website (its the same way they make money by selling comercial time on television). The writers feel they should be compensated for this money made off of their work. The Networks disagree.

I'm sure there's more information on the WGA website.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Quote by civildp1
The Writer Guild Strike is happening mainly because of television stuff (although screenwriters are also striking but are not picketing in as large of numbers).
There are two main issues that cannot be resolved. DVD royalties, and Internet royalties. Currently for every $10 spent on a DVD, the credited writers get one third of a penny. The Writer's guild is seeking to increase this to two thirds of a penny. The Networks are obviously against that increase.
The larger battle is over Internet royalties. The WGA is seeking to develop a royalties system for videos streamed on the internet similar to the one in place for television brodcasts (the writers get paid every time the episode airs). You know how you can go to ABC.com and watch Lost? The Networks are making money off of that via all of the ads on the website (its the same way they make money by selling comercial time on television). The writers feel they should be compensated for this money made off of their work. The Networks disagree.

I'm sure there's more information on the WGA website.

^ He explained it pretty spot on. Personally, I'm siding with the writers, as most outsiders are.
When crying don't help
You can't compose yourself
It's best to compose a poem
An honest verse of longing
Or a simple song of hope...