Hi, this is a question thats been in my mind since like forever...

1. How much of a difference does a change of tube make?

2. How much of a difference does a change of speakers make?

3. Couldnt we then just spend money on the cheapest Tube amp and then just mod these instead of buying for the brand name? (mesa, marshall etc)

Thanks in advance UGerz
1. Depends.

2. Depends.

3. Not really, unless you're a master electrician. And then you might as well be building amps for a living and getting $10,000 a piece for them. Type of tube and type of speaker are just part of the tone process. Mesa/Boogie and Fender both use 6L6 tubes. Do they sound anything alike?
Hi, I'm Peter
cheap amps will only take you so far because of the types of components used inside of the amp itself. its amazing how much resistors and capacitors can color the sound, not to mention the boost in quality from good transformers, which are the most expensive parts of an amp. New tubes will certainly improve the quality of a decent amp, but you can't fake it.

As for speakers, this is your best bet if you want to go cheap. I recently did a speaker swap and wow did it help to clean up the dynamics of the amp. it was like there was a blanket over the speaker before and it was taken off. the frequency range improvement was well worth the $50 for a new speaker.
1. Depends if the current tubes are any good.

2. Depends if the current speakers are any good.

...You might have spotted a pattern here!
But as explained by Masterwerk, speakers produce the most obvious results. Fresh tubes will always affect an amp's tone, but whether it makes it sound better or worse is personal preference - except when your current tubes are knackered, obviously.

Replacing a cheap speaker with a decent one will improve your tone, but you can also use speakers to re-voice the amp. For example, a G12H Greenback can give a more vintage sound, whilst a Vintage 30 can sharpen and tame a muddy-sounding amp.
Quote by UrMomsMom
1. How much of a difference does a change of tube make?
A noticeable amount. China has one manufacturer I know of that makes decent tubes. The rest are quite bad. Changing from poorly made tubes to anything decent will make an important difference.

Quote by UrMomsMom
2. How much of a difference does a change of speakers make?
Huge. A great amp through a crappy speaker will still sound like crap.

But a great speaker still can't make a crappy amp sound great.

Quote by UrMomsMom
3. Couldnt we then just spend money on the cheapest Tube amp and then just mod these instead of buying for the brand name? (mesa, marshall etc)
You could. But you'd spend more time and money doing it, in many cases.

Any system is limited by it's weakest link. Just changing the valves and speakers is only the start. A cheap amp probably has cheap iron, as well. Transformers can get expensive.

Dirk and the others before me have made some good points. I won't bother to re-state all of them.

You CAN buy a cheap amp, make some changes and mods, and end up with something worthwhile. Chances are it will have it's own unique character. You may even like it better than some of the brand name stuff. OR it might fall well short. You never know with that sort of thing.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Thx for the responses

So it would be better to start with a decent amp such as rg50tc or valveking and then go on from there?
depends ont he type of music... the VK would be good for harder rock and older style metal, though a AC15 or AC30 would be good for classic rock and blues

if your looking for cheaper quality tube amps look at Fender's Blues Jr. and Blues Deluxe (again if your into blues or classic rock)
Im more into the metal side of things, i dont know what metal you call it, and couldnt care less theres too many metal names, what is it like metalcore, death metal, trash, heavy metal, hair metal, old school metal, hardcore metal ahhh too confusing
I play some shadows fall, metalica, machine head, and stuff like that but also play bluesy, jazzy kinda stuff... so the valveking would do with maybe like a metall muff right?
Quote by UrMomsMom
So it would be better to start with a decent amp such as rg50tc or valveking and then go on from there?

Not sure about the Randall, but the VK is the poster child for, "sounds great after a tube and speaker change." That's what I thought you meant when you asked about buying the cheapest amp and upgrading it.

I suppose it's not a bad choice for metal, though. You'll want some sort of OD/distortion to push it a little further.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
The VK would be good for metla with a good OD, like a Jekyll & Hyde or maybe a Metal Muff if its cheap enough