Okay, I'm going to buy a new guitar and amp in the very far future (August/September), and I know what guitar I'm going to buy: the Gretsch Electromatic G5150 in Orange Stain!
But as for an amp, I'm not sure; I want tubes, 30W at least, and a price under €800.
So, I can get a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe for the same price as a Blues Deluxe reissue (which looks better, in tweed covering). Which of these two would you recommend me? I play blues, rock, soul, reggae and pop, so I need great clean tones as well as nice overdrive and distortion.
I'd go for the Hot Rod just to be annoying here ...And also, I just feel they're the better deal.
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United
they're very similar but i'd still say BD.

but DO NOT expect good OD from it, it's alright at a bit louder volumes (2 out of 12 for example) but at low volume, it' HORRIBLE.
and i feel the cleans are too... erm too... fake sounding sometimes.
i kinda regret it now, but you may like it though !
try it out, opinions differ so don't change your whole view on the amp because of me.

Blues Deluxe by far. Not sure why, I just find the bigger Hot Rods sound a bit thin and lifeless. The Hot Rod was designed specifically to be a cheap amp, whilst the BD is a reissue of a classic one...
Get a peavey classic instead.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
The Hot Rod is based on the Blues Deluxe, but features an extra gain stage that really doesn't sound all that great. And the extra circuitry seems to take a little something away from the clean channel, too. Not a good thing when the best thing about these amps are their cleans. So the Deluxe is just the nicer amp, and you're better off with a pedal for your OD than relying on the amp in either case.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
The Hot Rod is based on the Blues Deluxe, but features an extra gain stage that really doesn't sound all that great. And the extra circuitry seems to take a little something away from the clean channel, too. Not a good thing when the best thing about these amps are their cleans. So the Deluxe is just the nicer amp, and you're better off with a pedal for your OD than relying on the amp in either case.

true, but i don't agree with the part where you say the extra circuitry seems to take a little something away from the clean channel on a HR. the only difference in clean sound is that the BD is slighty warmer and compressed. that's it. and no, that's not an opinion, it's a fact
i think the blues deluxe has a nice warm tone but if you are looking for a mean OD don't by either of these amps or at least buy a really good fuzz pedal cus the overdrive on fender amps isn't all that great.