i have a gibson lp deluxe with mini humbuxkers
but i want to change them for emg P81,85 or 60
can this be done and what would i have to do when i am changing passives to actives?
you should be able to do this. when chaning to active pickups, you'd need to put a battery compartment in your guitar, but it should fit in the electronics cavity if you don't want to route a hole in the body for it. However, if you're 100% sure of actives, do the latter as it will make it easier to change the battery in a pinch in the future.
Not to be a killjoy, but why ruin the sound of such a lovely guitar with EMG's?
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

I never noticed their existence. Now my plan to buy an Edwards LP Junior in the near future is back on track.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Quote by jimbob78
Not to be a killjoy, but why ruin the sound of such a lovely guitar with EMG's?

I agree. EMGs are for guitars that would otherwise sound like garbage without them.
/\

I highly disagree. If you're saying guitars that would sound like garbage without em are the only guitars that should have EMG, then i'm guessing Les Pauls sound like ****, cuz of bunch of les paul users use EMGs, especially if they play hard rock and metal (Zakk Wylde being one of the first that comes to mind)

EMGs have their own unique tone to them, and while SOME of you guys on here may not like them, lots of people do. Give the kid a break if he wants the EMG sound in a Les Paul. A bunch of Les Paul users use EMGs, so it's not like he's saying he's putting an 81 set in an ES-335 (which would be odd).
the rason why is because i have two lp deluxes so i want a different sound and i already have a standard with gibson burstbucker in so i just want a different kind of sound
two?! share the wealth, brotha..

woops missed the link forget what i wrote before...i guess. GO FOR IT!
PS3

Fear the LIME

X
There are no EMGs made that fit the bill. However, time for some trivia. the EMG 85 is in fact a mini humbucker in a full humbucker casing. I believe it was originally developed as a mini hum, but EMG decided to put it in a full size casing as they figured there would not be enough demand. However, this doesn't do you much good as to get to that mini humbucker you would have to take the top off the pickup and chip at the wax, thus destroy it. Also I love how people say EMGs suck and never say why. Band wagon much?
Quote by CJRocker
There are no EMGs made that fit the bill. However, time for some trivia. the EMG 85 is in fact a mini humbucker in a full humbucker casing. I believe it was originally developed as a mini hum, but EMG decided to put it in a full size casing as they figured there would not be enough demand. However, this doesn't do you much good as to get to that mini humbucker you would have to take the top off the pickup and chip at the wax, thus destroy it. Also I love how people say EMGs suck and never say why. Band wagon much?

Check again. They make both the 81 and 85 in P90 sized versions.

But I do agree that EMGs are great. I have an 81/85 set in my Viper 400. Too bad it's hooked up to a **** amp.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Ew, in that linky those pots look like they are 1/4 diameter. That's just sick...
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Quote by mafropetee
Check again. They make both the 81 and 85 in P90 sized versions.

But I do agree that EMGs are great. I have an 81/85 set in my Viper 400. Too bad it's hooked up to a **** amp.

Crap I don't remember those when I bought my EMGs a year ago... Anyway they should fit, but you would probably need to take the pickup rings off.
Quote by RG_FANMAN
/\

EMGs have their own unique tone to them, and while SOME of you guys on here may not like them, lots of people do.

I didn't mean EMGs sound bad. I have just heard from EMG users that EMG pickups largely replace a guitar's natural tone with its own signature tone, and well, Les Paul sounds nice already (in my opinion).

It's okay if he likes the feel and look of Les Paul combined with an EMG sound.
If he has the mini humbuckers then regular size humbuckers wont fit without removing wood. I dont know if the EMG p90s will fit in the space for a minihumbucker.
I just dug around on the net. The ONLY pickups that will fit in a minihumbucker spot is a minihumbucker. The EMG p90s are bigger in all dimensions than your pickups.
Quote by Tackleberry
I just dug around on the net. The ONLY pickups that will fit in a minihumbucker spot is a minihumbucker. The EMG p90s are bigger in all dimensions than your pickups.

Well, that sucks. I never understood the point of minihumbuckers anyway.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Quote by mafropetee

In the case of the LP it was because Gibson had routed the guitars for P90s but soon saw humbuckers were more in demand. To make up for this they put the Mini humbuckers in it and put a pickup ring on it to fill things out.
Quote by mafropetee

They sound really awesome - distinctive, unique.

that was the point
you dont usually see a p90 style emg in a guitar and that would look cool, but i am not doing it to look cool tho
Say I have a PRS SE Soapbar Maple II Custom w/ P90s in it.

Am I correct in that these linked EMG pickups would correctly fit w/o the need for any routing?
Quote by gilly_90
Hi, I'm looking for some fruit, I can't decide between apples and oranges.
Which one is better?
Thanks
*cough*bump*cough
Quote by gilly_90
Hi, I'm looking for some fruit, I can't decide between apples and oranges.
Which one is better?
Thanks
Quote by mafropetee

http://www.myepark.com/~undy/mp3/Hurricane.mp3

I believe this song is reason enough.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay