hey everyone im new to the guitar and i guess you can say im pretty new to rock music im 21yrs old too bad i didnt grow up listening to rock because WOW. i LOVE ROCK MUSIC especially classic rock AC/DC is my favorite band angus young is mind blowing to me the first time i heard rock music i fell COMPLETELY head over heels in love its the music that spoke to my soul and when i heard my first guitar solo OMG i nearly died and went to heaven. ever since then i knew that i HAD TO learn how to play guitar i recently bought a started package that came with an epiphone SG special and a 10w epiphone amp. i love my guitar and i am trying to teach myself how to play it without taking lessons.

one of my questions is when i try to play a chord no matter how i put my fingers they touch the string below it and it mutes the sound of that string so the chord doesnt sound right my finger tips are kinda fat i guess (haha that sounds kinda funny) has anyone had this problem playing chords when they started? if i cant learn how to play guitar my heart is gonna BREAK into a million tiny pieces and my very existence on this earth will cease to have meaning. did i mention that i LOVE ROCK N ROLL. yaaaaaaaa
Er, yeah, I'd say that's a pretty common problem. That open A chord used to give me a problem. You learn to sort of naturally angle your fingers so they don't mute other strings, or at least I did.
okay well before you go completely crazy (if possible) just try arching your hand more and putting only your tips of the fingers on the strings. And try to look up some basic videos on youtube or something, a lot of technique stuff can be showed through a video.(in comparison to theory i suppose.)
Is this a joke? How the hell can someone not listen to any rock music until they are 21? I don't think it is even possible. Also, you seem very immature for a twenty-one year old.
Quote by gorillanuts
Is this a joke? How the hell can someone not listen to any rock music until they are 21? I don't think it is even possible. Also, you seem very immature for a twenty-one year old.

It's because he nevar heard the rock.

just do what that other guy said, practice angling your fingers and you'll be fine
thanks for your advice ppl. and to gorilla nuts i have heard rock before i was 21 but it never clicked with me at the time and nobody i knew was into rock so im bringing myself up to speed. better late than never. rock on.