Halp!

My laptop screen has something wrong with it, hopefully one of you have had the same problem and can diagnose it for me!

Basically the screen flickers like a bastard when I turn it on. Lines all across the screen. And it'll get so bad the whole screen will just be this fuzzy blur, I have to hibernate it and take it out of htat to get it back.

When it's flickery, moving the screen around or squeezing the edges kind of affects the picture. When it goes really tits up nothing works though. At the moment it's ok, kind of, a bit jumpy when I type but it's ok because I have it on the floor and against the wall, 2 flat surfaces. It made sense at the time

anyway, HELP WTF!?! has anyone ever had this problem with a laptop? Is it broken for good? because I need it for my uni coursework that's due in in 2 weeks!

If there's just a loose connection or whatever, how much would it cost to replace? and how much if it's fully screwed?

Bahhh stupid laptop
The poor thing.. You have my sympathy.
Condolences.

(I'm sorry that I can't help.. )
Wolfie, Moley, Witty, Dgmey, Grundy
Quote by Fishyesque
The poor thing.. You have my sympathy.
Condolences.

(I'm sorry that I can't help.. )

Perhaps it's suffering the same ailment as your phone?

I won't let it die before my coursework deadlines. *wishful thinking*
Oh lord :|

Laptops are just pure evil

Sometimes when I type with mine the screen goes blank because of a certain key I pressed

Like if I were to type

Hi how are you?

It might bugger up on the 'h' in 'how' and go
Hi ow are you?h

I hate it.

EVILLLL

Yeah.
I wish I knew what was wrong with yours, but I've only had my laptop for a year and mine's never done that

xoxo.
Quote by SteveHouse
Also you're off topic. This thread is about Reva eating snowmen.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Perhaps it's suffering the same ailment as your phone?

I won't let it die before my coursework deadlines. *wishful thinking*

Ah! My phone wants me to tell your lappy to stay strong!

I'll do some major googling for you!
Might be a loose connection between your screen and the rest of the computer.

Meaning it's on it's way out
<Dobzilla> because "when you were born, they thought yo' momma shit herself."
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
I was in such a rush that I Googled 'google.'

I bet there's a bad connection between your motherboard and the LCD.

Anywhere you can take it in to have someone take a look at it?
Get a new laptop screen then, since the lines are most likely dead pixels...
Tonight I kill your fucking face.
I killed your face.

HG FC: 4211 7971 0287
Plt FC: 3052 1000 9033
Screen replacements are usually £150 and up.
Quote by RipeFlesh
Get a new laptop screen then, since the lines are most likely dead pixels...

They're not because at the moment it's working fine, just if I touch it or move it it has a panic attack.

And everyone else [sorry, tbh I can't be arsed to quote you all seperately]

Rankles, would it really be on its way out? ohhh I can't afford a new one

And who would I need to see about the loose connection thingy? can it be easily solved? I'm £-900 at the moment and xmas is coming up and so are my uni deadlines...
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
They're not because at the moment it's working fine, just if I touch it or move it it has a panic attack.

And everyone else [sorry, tbh I can't be arsed to quote you all seperately]

Rankles, would it really be on its way out? ohhh I can't afford a new one

And who would I need to see about the loose connection thingy? can it be easily solved? I'm £-900 at the moment and xmas is coming up and so are my uni deadlines...

Any PC store usually has technical help. If the connection has simply loosened, it shouldn't be hard for them, or expensive for you!

Quote by SG thrasher
Backup your uni stuff on discs just in case it goes tits up.

Can't, I spilt ginger beer on all my discs the other week. I fail at being computer literate

Plus they're at home in Bris and I'm in London this weekend.

Also how much is 'inexpensive'? Because I don't trust pc world, and the chances are I literally can't afford to get it repaired, not "if I do I wont be able to afford bla bla", i really don't have enough cash
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Can't, I spilt ginger beer on all my discs the other week. I fail at being computer literate

Plus they're at home in Bris and I'm in London this weekend.

Also how much is 'inexpensive'? Because I don't trust pc world, and the chances are I literally can't afford to get it repaired, not "if I do I wont be able to afford bla bla", i really don't have enough cash

Doh, Just spend a few quid on disks. It's better being a fiver out of pocket than spending X amount of hours re-doing work.
ya sounds like either the connection has come loose or there is a short in the cable...dont take it apart as that would do serious harm to the inside of your computer, i would either 1)take it in and find out how much it will cost before giving it to them or 2) buy more disks and save your stuff while it still works
Well I'm more concerned about not being able to afford a new laptop

Nobody has any idea how much it'd cost?
i have a friend who's having the same problem, i think that its quite common... probably a loose connnection...
sup?
I would first update graghics card drivers, just in case its tht but it sounds to me like a hardware problem, if worse comes to worse you could gte a cheap computer monitor and hook it into your laptops vga out port that the viidoe feed is coming out of an external monitor meaning the picture should be fine. Hope this helps
MY gear
Vintage v100 les paul.
POS Ion strat
Vox ad50vt
15 watt practice amp
Ibanez rg570
Quote by stradivari310
buy a mac.

Idiot.

Anyway, I agree with chris24789, you could get a really cheap monitor and hook it up, and if the store you buy it from has a return policy, you could just take it back when you're done
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Not really that sounds expensive. I have about... £20 to contribute to fixing this

well 20 quid can get you a used monitor, which is cheaper than a replacement laptop screen, in fact u cud get a screen for a tenner, probly wont help but just thought id put my idea across
MY gear
Vintage v100 les paul.
POS Ion strat
Vox ad50vt
15 watt practice amp
Ibanez rg570
The screen should have nothing to do with the data that is on the harddrive, but you should back it up just in case. It likely is a bad connection somewhere, take it in somewhere and ask them to take a look at it. If they say new screen, get a 2nd opinion and be stubborn til someone fixes it cheap :P

pepsi
Quote by chris24789
well 20 quid can get you a used monitor, which is cheaper than a replacement laptop screen, in fact u cud get a screen for a tenner, probly wont help but just thought id put my idea across

on the downside youd be carrying a desktop monitor around everywhere,ultimately defying the point of it being a laptop.
1) Get an USB memory stick, they don't have to be several GBs, just enough to save your coursework.

2) It's most likely a hardware error, like someone mentioned. If it just started doing this out of the blue, I don't think it's a software error unless you've been doing something horribly wrong.

3) To fix hardware problems you need to be experienced, maybe you've got a mate who's good with laptops?
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Baa I'm a Sheep
on the downside youd be carrying a desktop monitor around everywhere,ultimately defying the point of it being a laptop.

well which would you choose, fail youre coursework or use an external monitor which is a very cheap remedy, i mean this of course would be a last resort but it does mean that the laptop can be used.
MY gear
Vintage v100 les paul.
POS Ion strat
Vox ad50vt
15 watt practice amp
Ibanez rg570
Quote by chris24789
well which would you choose, fail youre coursework or use an external monitor which is a very cheap remedy, i mean this of course would be a last resort but it does mean that the laptop can be used.

and what about taking things down in lectures?I'm sure nobody would mind you just setting up a desktop monitor in the lecture hall...

Anyway back to the matter at hand...
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Yes but but but how do I fix it without spending any money!?

Well, the best you can is take it to tech support. I'm pretty sure it doesn't cost money just to look at it.
My all gold grills give her cold chills
Said she gotta coke feel cuz I'm sooo trill.
Quote by Baa I'm a Sheep
and what about taking things down in lectures?I'm sure nobody would mind you just setting up a desktop monitor in the lecture hall...

Anyway back to the matter at hand...

good point, im just suggesting one remedy, thta would enable her to sue the laptop whn she is at home or wereever, nd she cud always hand write notes like the old days then type them up when she has access to the laptop.
MY gear
Vintage v100 les paul.
POS Ion strat
Vox ad50vt
15 watt practice amp
Ibanez rg570
Quote by chris24789
good point, im just suggesting one remedy, thta would enable her to sue the laptop whn she is at home or wereever, nd she cud always hand write notes like the old days then type them up when she has access to the laptop.

true lol.Anyway you could try ringing up tech support from the laptop manufacturer,they can probably shed some light on the problem,and if not you could always give them sh*t until they agree to repair it.
My suggestion would be to befriend a computer science student, they might be willing to take a look for you. You get all sorts of tech nuts on computer science.
Take it in to get looked at, it's usually free to just have a tech guy see what's wrong with it (or atleast where I live...). Maybe some resources at the university? Some campuses have a team of comp professionals & majors take care of things like that, maybe they could atleast tell you what's wrong & if there are any affordable ways to fix it.

Mine's on it's way out as well. I'm saving up and hopefully in early 2008 I'll get a Mac.
Just email your work to yourself, free and easy.
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
either the screen is dieing...(backlight and/or LCD screen)
or
your graphics card is failing.

which it is, im not sure..,
sounds like a loose wire somewhere.

If you have coverage send it out for repair, if not...open it yourself and see if there are any loose wires.
keep a close eye on where every screw goes and what length it is.

if you need more help on opening your laptop you can use google to get a free service manual.
u have a dodgy power connection to the lcd panel, usually it fails at the hinge , mine goes flickery but closing/opening the lid ususally fixes it cuz im moving the hinge back to where it works