So in my woods class I wanted to start building a guitar. I wanted to make it really cool and unique. So, first off, I wanted to put on a mirror fretboard like the one frusciante had made for him.
With this is it possible to:
-put frets in?
-put fret markers in?
-if the fret markers are possible is it possible to put in LED lights instead of regular inlays?
With the body, to put in the spot for the pickups, wires and stuff can I just use the CNC mill?
Is it easy to put in a floyd rose bridge or would I be better off just going with a normal bridge?
And how would I go about doing the input jack, pots for the knobs, and also the hole in the neck for the truss rod?
thanks
A mirror fretboard's gonna be a bitch to build. You'd have to remove the tangs on the fretwire and carefully glue them in very very carefully slotted slots.

edit: oh yeah, as for the rest.. you should be able to find lots of info on projectguitar.com

And led inlays are gonna be a bitch too!
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
I was thinking about making a guitar in my woods class but i've been told not 2 as apparantly it's a b**tard messing arond with the truss rod. As for the rest im not 2 sure.
If you want to build a body, that's cool. Personally I'd leave the neck alone for your first build and just buy one, they are a pain in the ass to measure/shape right.

Second, think carefully about your body shape. Everything is shaped like a Strat or Les Paul because for most people those are comfortable shapes to play.

For the pup spaces and the control cavity, trace your designs on the wood and then use a router to cut them out. Are you planning on doing a Strat style pickguard or a smaller Gibson one? If it's the Strat-style, you can just route a big pool that will be covered by the pickguard. Gibson, go in from the back and put a plate over it.

AS for the LED's, it can be done. I actually modded my guitar to have them in the fret inlays. The electronics is easy if you can read basic schematics and solder, the wood working part messed me up. When I glued the fretboard back on the neck, there were gaps and spaces all along it. The thing was so twisted I eventually just threw it out. I think I have pics somewhere of the guitar if you want to see.
I'm planning on making this http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p202/guitarplans/Web%20Images/Previews/DoubleNeck.jpg
With the top neck being a fretless with a mirror fretboard. And the bottom neck being fretted with leds.
With the mirror, should i have it level with the edges of the neck or raised above it? cuz i'd have to do some routing to bring it down into the neck.
And does anyone have any electronic schematics/plans for led fret markers?
As for the pickgaurd. I'm not going to put a real pickgaud on, instead i was thinking of putting on another piece of wood that was the same size as a pickgaurd and then staining it darker color. Is it possible to get the wood that thin though?
Do you have prior woodworking experience? Cuz that's pretty ambitious for something you're going to try to build in class. Have you given any thought to the tone you want? I think a mirrored fretboard would sound and play like ****. But hey, if you can do it I'm interested to see the result.

Personally, if the guitar is going to be a natural color then I wouldn't worry about the wood pickguard. Just route out a cavity in the back of the guitar, leaving maybe 1/8 inch wood before you break through the front.

The biggest problem I ran into with the LEDs was that the truss rod runs right underneath the fret markers, you have to make sure the LED's don't come into contact with metal truss rod or it will short out. You want to get the lowest profile LED's you can find, otherwise the neck fretboard will have to be really thick to prevent them from protruding from underneath it.

How familiar are you with electronic components? I can draw you a diagram but I need to know how much I need to break things down.
I've had a couple years of experience with woodworking. I have the rest of the school year, cuz we only had one required project. http://youtube.com/watch?v=n9KEE4lotJo here's a video of frusciante's custom guitar with a mirror fretboard. I don't like the guy who is playing (ned everett) but i love the tone, and it looks awesome. I decided against making the necks cuz i really don't want to mess around with truss rods.
Ya, i'm not putting the pickgaurd on it.
As for the led's i found these, take a look http://www.fiberopticproducts.com/Guitar_frets.htm
With the electronics, i've had little to no experience but the fretglows come with instructions. Thanks tho.
For the fretboard, can i buy a neck and take the fretboard off to put the mirror on?

And if you want after i'm done i'll put up some pics and videos or soundclips so that you can see how it turned out.
I don't think that a mirror fretboard would be the best idea. I would assume whatever reflective material you would be using would be a lot harder to work than most woods. The fretboard should have a radius to it, and then don't forget that you have to cut slots for every fret too. The more complicated something gets, the chances for it failing will increase exponentially. If you haven't built a guitar before it would probably be in your best interest to cut the BS on the project and try to make something simplistic and inexpensive that works. You would be a lot happier with a playable guitar that will teach you lessons that don't include the valuable complication+inexperience=frustration.
Quote by Axecutioner
I don't think that a mirror fretboard would be the best idea. I would assume whatever reflective material you would be using would be a lot harder to work than most woods. The fretboard should have a radius to it, and then don't forget that you have to cut slots for every fret too. The more complicated something gets, the chances for it failing will increase exponentially. If you haven't built a guitar before it would probably be in your best interest to cut the BS on the project and try to make something simplistic and inexpensive that works. You would be a lot happier with a playable guitar that will teach you lessons that don't include the valuable complication+inexperience=frustration.

+1

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Quote by Axecutioner

+1
Although he did mention that the mirror fretboard would be for a fretless, so that takes away the fret slotting problem...
But radiusing a mirror? I'm not sure how you'd go about doing that properly..
Quote by james4
+1
Although he did mention that the mirror fretboard would be for a fretless, so that takes away the fret slotting problem...
But radiusing a mirror? I'm not sure how you'd go about doing that properly..

the only guitar i've seen with a mirror fingerboard had a very flat radius, flatter than an ibanez
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.