I am in desperate need of a new amp, as my sig shows
i have said all year, i will buy one around christmas time, and now it is about that time

So. .
My band i am with right now is very experimental, it is in the early stages but some of the material is sounding good, but i am not happy with my tone.
There are alot of heavy riffs and clean parts, very muse-ish.

I want another halfstack, purely because, i have found a modefour cab for sale locally quite cheap priced so will be getting that. I have heard around here and other places that they are a great rock cab

but i need advise on what head to use with this, i was going to get a modefour head but was strongly advised against this so changed my mind

any idea's?

thanks in advance
try out the laney tt and engl blackmore too.

i have no idea what experimental means, but i saw "cleans and heavy riffs"...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Maybe a Peavey Penta? lots of variety there. Anything all-tube from Marshall, maybe a Fender Super-Sonic. Oranges are good, a Rocker 30 is probably your best bet from them.
Krank Chadwick, Marshall DSL, Peavy Valve King, Hughes and Kettner Switchblade.. you have lots of choices open to you
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Laney VH100: http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=371

Laney GH50: http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=374

Marshall DSL50: http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Marshall---JCM-DSL-50~ID~1352.asp

ENGL Thunder: http://www.thomann.de/gb/engl_e325_thunder_head_topteil.htm

ENGL Screamer: http://www.thomann.de/gb/engl_screamer50_e335_gitarrentopteil.htm

all would do what you need, and are a bit below your budget. I would use the money saved to get a better cab. A standard marshall 1960 if you can find one for a decent used price. V30s would be even better.

EDIT: Just searching through Thomann I found this,

http://www.thomann.de/gb/engl_e_325_thunder_head_bundle.htm

Its £702, and the cab have V30s, prob not the best build quality, but at that price for the head and cab, I'd put money on it sounding better than the head through the Mode4 cab.
Quote by TehJermie
you can get that toneblaster stack at the cost of your dignity.

Quote by silhouettica
fine, screw the cheese sandwich if you must...

Last edited by hairball at Nov 30, 2007,
Right this might sound a bit stupid but i am a little thick on the subject of amps

Nearly all of the above are 50 Watt heads
Does this mean they're not powerful or loud?
No. It means they are easily capable of destroying your hearing, actually. A fifty watt valve amp is, in a lot of cases, overkill. It will be good enough for any gig you ever play.
ahhh right
thanks

i was just confused because as poor as it is my MG is 100 watt, and all these we're 50, was just a little confusing
These will all sound a lot louder than your MG, such is the difference between valve and solid state amps, so you have nothing to worry about
ahh thats ok then
so somebody mentioned something about the ENGL build quality. because i like the sound of it but i don't want it too let me down.
Anyone anything more about these?
Last edited by TomR at Dec 1, 2007,
i've heard stuff about engl build quality too. I'm not sure, to be honest.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
What's important is the orgasm. If you like ENGLs, go for it.
Are you looking for a zombie online game?
Join the survivors at Dead Frontier
Coming out March 2008

DON'T GET A MARSHALL MG OR A LINE 6 SPIDER.
Put this in your sig if you don't like the usual threads about these amps.
I don't really know much about the build quality of ENGL amps. I had copped a feel once or twice and it seemed quite sturdy. The Laney VH100R has a nice clean tone and can get pretty heavy too. I have a link up in my blog on my UG profile of me demoing my Laney VH100R if you wanna check that out. Cheers!
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by splat102
What's important is the orgasm. If you like ENGLs, go for it.

Think i am, i justy want to make sure its not going to brake down on me before/during a gig.
But still think i'll be sticking it through the modefour cab.
Think i'll be going for the screamer head aswell

anymore input on this?

thanks for your help
try the laney tt and engl blackmore as well. IMO, the blackmore is nicer than the screamer, but obviously it will depend on what you mainly play.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?