I want to convert my Ibanez Jet King into a baritone...which necks are incompatible and what precautions do I need to take? I already filed my saddles since I use really think gauges.
You'll just have to make sure that the neck you to convert it to a baritone with is intended to have the same distance from the heel of the neck to the saddles as the distance from the start of the neck pocket is from the saddles right now.

edit: wait, I just re-read my post and realized I wasn't very good at describing what I meant. use the fret calculator from stewmac to calculate the distance from the nut to the last fret, and find the difference between that number and the total scale length (that or just measure from the last fret to the saddles). Then, using the fret calculator again, put in the info. of the neck you're intending to use (scale length and number of frets), and calculate the distance from the last fret to the saddles if you were to use that neck with a proper bridge placement for the intended scale length. If the distance is the same (or off by fractions of an inch), then the neck you entered the info. for will be close enough that you can make up for any intonation problems by adjusting the saddles like you'd adjust intonation on a normal guitar.

I hope that made enough sense to help. I'm tired so I'm probably not making perfect sense...
Last edited by james4 at Nov 30, 2007,
wut you need the pickups to be on harmonic frets(you know the ones that you would put the dots on
^ What the devil are you talking about? The dots are just a visual aid, although some of them do happen to be harmonics for open strings.

If you're talking about placing the neck pickup at th 24th fret, that's not crucial.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
lol i wasn't very clear but from what i understandwehen designing the guitar the pickups are usually put at spots where there are harmonics (such as the 3rd, 7th, and 7th frets) so that they sound good. changing the scale of the guitar(even if you keep the 12th frett in the middle) has the potential to make the guitar sound really bad

maybe more clear?
I do not understand at all...perhaps I should just read what you said several times over again. i know all the words...but sooo much! (james)
Any neck is compatible as long as
1)It fits the neck pocket
2)The distance from the nut to the bridge matches the scale length of the neck

However, I would not recomend this since your guitar has been built for a standard scale. If you put a baritone neck on, you will have a lot more neck free of the body makign it unstable and neck heavy.
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Quote by mrmarc772
lol i wasn't very clear but from what i understandwehen designing the guitar the pickups are usually put at spots where there are harmonics (such as the 3rd, 7th, and 7th frets) so that they sound good. changing the scale of the guitar(even if you keep the 12th frett in the middle) has the potential to make the guitar sound really bad

maybe more clear?

WTF?? As clear as mud.
sorry^... i give up if it's that important someone more experianced will say it more eloquently.
It's not important. There is no "right" place to put a pickup, you could put two pickups right next to each other if you wanted. It would change the tone, however.

Is the neck joint bolt on, or set neck? If it's a set neck, you might as well go buy a baritone.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Quote by Jahsoul
Bolt on

You will have almost zero neck support if you do it on a bolt on. Te other option is, you take out the neck pickup and increase the neck pocket to move the neck in more for more support.

Then you'll have to move the bridge back appropriately along with the bridge pickup. If you have space for a neck pickup, you can add it.

In short, its probably going to be easier to just buy a baritone, unless you are okay with a very shakey neck.
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Warmoth makes a baritone conversion neck, check here . There will be no need to change anything on the body, provided it's a body for a 25.5"(fender scale) scale neck.

And DagMX I don't know where your getting your info, but it's wrong. There will be no stability issues. I know several people that have put these necks on Teles, Strats and various other guitars and I've never heard any of them complain about the stability.
Yeah, I've seen on ebay my guitar with a baritone neck...granted dude was a pro.