Alright, so lately (maybe a month or two?) I've been teaching myself some basic songs, chords, scales, and tunes on my sister's old acoustic. I'm hoping to get an electric soon, but I'm not sure what is good for beginners and what isn't. I don't want a really crappy beginner, but my budget is probably a max of $300. any suggestions?

This is Larry The If you click him, he will give you magic powers.
srsly.

If you are not willing to die for the perfect s'more, Then you don't deserve a s'more at all.
Last edited by AlecMag at Nov 30, 2007,
I recommend an Ovation Acoustic Electric.

I have a celebrity model, wich ussualy goes for 299.

It has great tone both ways.

Also, a VERY unique look.

ovation-guitars.com
do you have an amp? if so, I would suggest that you look into a used epiphone les paul standard. I have played on them and they are solid guitars that will last you for a long while. Also, you might look into a used standard strat. I have seen Japanese standard strats go for $250 at guitar center used.

If you have no amp, you might want to save up a little more. You will want to get an amp that will last because most of your tone comes from your amp, not guitar. Hope this helps.
Jackson Customization. Check It Out!!

*New* Jackson DX10D (Under Construction)
Gibson SG Faded Special (faded cherry)
ibanez acoustic

$$NEW$$ Epiphone So Cal 50 Stack In Mail $$NEW$$
line 6 SPIDER 2 112 combo
Metal Muff
Weeping Demon
I got my G&L Tribute S-500 (a real fender as I say) for $340 shipped.

What style?
Amp budget?
Guitar: G&L Tribute S-500
Amp: Fender Blues Deluxe
Pedals: Zvex Box of Rock
Ibanez RG321 and the RG2EX are the best sub 300 choices. You might be able to pair those with a cheap amp if you've got good haggling skills.
Gear...
Peavey 5150, Squier, Ibanez RG2EX2, Yamaha F150, Ibanez RT150, MXR noisegate
Quote by abcdboy
Ibanez RG321 and the RG2EX are the best sub 300 choices. You might be able to pair those with a cheap amp if you've got good haggling skills.

ibanez is crap, dont buy one. on your budget, epiphone
Quote by sobeisbull

whatever...

it's all opinions, don't listen to any..ANY.. salesman when you go in, pick up guitars that you think YOU would like, play whatever you know on it to see if you like the feel, and the neck, it doesn't matter if you can't play amazing, because we were all there at one point or another, as long as you like the sound and feel of the guitar, that's all that matters
Quote by sobeisbull

ok......

do you have an amp? or is the 300 for the amp AND guitar?
I think an Epi G-400 would be a good choice if u have an amp. Or a Squier Vintage Modified SSS Strat.
Get the guitar I have. It's a perfect begginers guitar. It was from a Starter Pack. It's a Fender Strat Squier. It comes with the guitar, 2 Picks, a Starter's Disc, a Wammy Bar (Do not use because it makes your strings ping, which will eventually break your strings), a few tools, a Auto Tunner (which will tell you to tighten or loosen your strings until it is in Tune), and a Frontman 15G Amp. It's a perfect Starters Pack.
Wow, that's for the quick replies. no amp yet, this is my first electric and i don't have any equipment. I was thinking about a strat, but i figure I'm gonna just go to a couple of music stores and check out what they had. thanks for all the suggestions, I'm open to more.

srsly.

If you are not willing to die for the perfect s'more, Then you don't deserve a s'more at all.
thanks, Dwarfr0cker!

srsly.

If you're trawling round stores see if you can find a Squier 51.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Oh, you have no amp.

Well, I'd get the RG321. You can probably score a deal, and get that + a micro cube for 300. It's a good guitar too. You should replace the tuners, nut, and pickups, when you get more money, though. Well, tuners and nut maybe not. Definitely pickups though.
Gear...
Peavey 5150, Squier, Ibanez RG2EX2, Yamaha F150, Ibanez RT150, MXR noisegate
Steven Seagull has the right idea. The Squier 51 is a pretty nice beginner's guitar with a basswood Strat body and a maple Tele neck. This little hermaphrodite puts out a good sound with a decent amp. You probably won't find anymore at the guitar stores, but you can still get them on eBay for under $150.00 with freight. That will still leave you with a little bit of cash to pick up an amp.
"Some people should die... That's just unconscious knowledge" Jane's Addiction (Pig's in Zen)
thanks for all the replies. helped a lot.

srsly.

Squier Bullet + Crate Palamino 5w = $300 at guitar center. That is probably the best tone you will get for 300 dollars.
Get a Gretsch Junior Jet II or a Squier Jagmaster. Both have great sound and great quality for being under 300 bucks
cool, thanks!

srsly.

get an epi. i bought by nephew a epi les paul standard for his first electric guitar and he loved it.